Are the Steelers ripe for upset? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Steelers ripe for upset?

Dolphan-B

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Steelers may be ripe for the upset if preseason is any indicator...

Opposing starting QBs have been carving the Steeler secondary up, completing 25 of 33 passes for 268 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs for a 129.36 rating.

Against that secondary, Pepper comes in completing 22 of 30 passes (73.3%) for 218 yards (7.3 YPA) and one TD which was taken away and nothing close to an INT for a rating of 93.5 against three much better secondaries.

Opposing starting QBs have been shut down by the Phins D, completing only 14 of 34 passes for 185 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT for a rating of 56.62.

Against that secondary, Big Ben comes in completing 15 of 22 (68.2%) dinking and dunking for 111 yards (5.0 YPA), 1 TD and 1 INT for a rating of 76.1 against one of three secondaries which could be considered good.

Both Ds have been fairly stout against the run.

Both Os have been so so running the ball, but Miami played three of the top run Ds in the league.

When we look at scoring, Miami's starting D gave up 5 FGs (one of which was set up by the Welker fumble), while the Steeler starting D gave up 2 TDs and 3 FGs (mostly through the air).

On the flip side, Miami's starting O scored 3 TDs and 2 FGs while the Steeler starting O scored 1 TD and 0 FGs. Both starting Os scored 1 TD with the backup QB under center as both starting QBs are recovering from injuries.

You can only tell so much from preseason stats, but the Steelers seem to have a serious problem with their secondary and have trouble passing the ball with Hines Ward still nursing a stubborn hammy injury. Ward could not complete practice recently because of the pain.

Pepper could have a big night in the opener and Miami could pull off the road upset.

:cooldude:

The first string Steeler group did not score last year in the preseason.

Then scored 61 points in the first two weeks of the season.

The Colts had lost their last 8 preseason games, before finally beating New Orleans the other night.

Anything can happen on opening day....but what happens in the preseason doesnt show the whole story.

HACK

SteelHack said:
The first string Steeler group did not score last year in the preseason.

Then scored 61 points in the first two weeks of the season.

The Colts had lost their last 8 preseason games, before finally beating New Orleans the other night.

Anything can happen on opening day....but what happens in the preseason doesnt show the whole story.

HACK

i agree. we'll see how it goes. its going to be a really tough game mostly from the steelers front 7. its going to be a huge test for our offense. im not overly worried about the steelers offense, but obviously theres always a threat with Ben and Ward.

Dolphan-B said:
The Steelers may be ripe for the upset if preseason is any indicator...

Opposing starting QBs have been carving the Steeler secondary up, completing 25 of 33 passes for 268 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs for a 129.36 rating.

Against that secondary, Pepper comes in completing 22 of 30 passes (73.3%) for 218 yards (7.3 YPA) and one TD which was taken away and nothing close to an INT for a rating of 93.5 against three much better secondaries.

Opposing starting QBs have been shut down by the Phins D, completing only 14 of 34 passes for 185 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT for a rating of 56.62.

Against that secondary, Big Ben comes in completing 15 of 22 (68.2%) dinking and dunking for 111 yards (5.0 YPA), 1 TD and 1 INT for a rating of 76.1 against one of three secondaries which could be considered good.

Both Ds have been fairly stout against the run.

Both Os have been so so running the ball, but Miami played three of the top run Ds in the league.

When we look at scoring, Miami's starting D gave up 5 FGs (one of which was set up by the Welker fumble), while the Steeler starting D gave up 2 TDs and 3 FGs (mostly through the air).

On the flip side, Miami's starting O scored 3 TDs and 2 FGs while the Steeler starting O scored 1 TD and 0 FGs. Both starting Os scored 1 TD with the backup QB under center as both starting QBs are recovering from injuries.

You can only tell so much from preseason stats, but the Steelers seem to have a serious problem with their secondary and have trouble passing the ball with Hines Ward still nursing a stubborn hammy injury. Ward could not complete practice recently because of the pain.

Pepper could have a big night in the opener and Miami could pull off the road upset.

:cooldude:
Good post man,the stats sound good but its still preseason but you know what this is the best we have looked in preseason in a long time.

Have you been noticing how annoying the steelers have been,so ****y and arrogant, i think the media has totally blown ben's accident out of proportion, i saw him two weeks after the supposed major surgeries and reconstruction of his face,yada,,yada,,yada, whatever,he looked perfectly fine to me,bust out some more violins ben, i'am not feelin ya.

Not to mention all the cowher rumors of his retirement,so ya i'am pumped lets kick their azzzz.

I for one think it wouldn't be an upset if Miami won that game. The Steelers IMO won't make the playoffs this season. In 2 seasons Rothlisberger hasn't even eclipsed 3000 yards passing . There's a boatload of AFC Qb's who eclipsed that number last season (Frerotte just 4 yards short with 2996) .

You gotta remember, Bettis and Staley were very important to their runnung attack. This allowed Rothlisberger an easy time. Play action was simple because of that running game.. He didn't have that many 3rd and longs .. This season he will have alot more trouble without their leader in the running game, Bettis..

The Steelers look like a team who drank and partied too much this summer after the SB . The super bowl hangover is indeed infecting that team .. I have heard reports that three of their O-Linemen are terribly out of shape compared to what they were this point last season ..

And last but not least, they don't have an above average receiver outside of Ward. And Ward is hurt and out now .. They have very little in regard to offensive weapons.. Miami has many more weapons that Pittsburgh..

Pittsburgh will not make the playoffs this year, similar to the Pats when they missed the playoffs after their first SB win .. They took a year off, it seems the steelers are doing the same.

If Pittsburgh won opening night, now that would be an upset..

To add, I think the Cowher retirement rumors are the worst thing besides all the negatives I posted regarding this years steelers .. C'mon, if a team knows a coach will be out during or after the year, they don't play hard .. What for if the head boss will be gone anyways ? History has shown this to be true time and time again in professional sports.

Upset?

We're gonna go in and kick their *****, on national T.V. with EVERYONE watching...I have no doubt.

I'm not worried about the Steelers.

unifiedtheory said:
Upset?

We're gonna go in and kick their *****, on national T.V. with EVERYONE watching...I have no doubt.

I'm not worried about the Steelers.

As you know by my posts in this thread, I totally agree. As a matter of fact, I think the dolphins will win by a couple touchdowns.

2004 Steelers went 15:1 2005 Steelers won the Superbowl. Santonio Holmes is a much faster and probably a better WR than Randall EL. Kimo VonOelhaufen wasn't a force. The loss of Bettis diminishes the heart of their team; but they are baically the same unit that has been extremely successful. If we win this game it will be a huge accomplishment.

MastR_EvaluatoR said:
As you know by my posts in this thread, I totally agree. As a matter of fact, I think the dolphins will win by a couple touchdowns.

I hope so:dolphins:

The Steelers dont have a choice. They are gonna get manhandled by the Phins! Miami loves opening Day!

Dolphins 27
Steelers 17

Semedi said:
Who said anything about an upset? We're a better team then them period :dolphins:

I know we haven't earned it yet ...but I felt the same way when I saw the thread title.

Back
Top Bottom