Are the Steelers ripe for upset? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Steelers ripe for upset?

Man everyone needs to just forget it, we will not win this game.
I expect the game to look very similar to the 1st half of the Jags and panthers preaseon games.

Game will be low scoring with both offenses having limited success running the ball, and in the end we can be proud of our defense and be accepting of the fact that we are in a situation where our qb will need a little more time back to be better and also more time to gel with the team as a whole.
Our defense is grade A and is ahead of the offense at this point in time.

We will lose this game something like 20-16, and there will be nothing for us to be ashamed of in our play. this is the season opener against the world champs who still have a steller D.

Having said that, I think it has been pretty smart having played in the preseason Tampa, JAx, and Car, all three top notch defenses. This will toughen our offensive line up, so when we hit week two and three against Buff and Tenn in that sweltering heat, Miami will pump the Bills 35-10, the Titans 24-3 and Ronnie Brown will run all day against the Bills and Titans.

I hope Im wrong against the Steelers.

The difference in this game is going to be defense. In that regard, it's probably fairly evenly matched. However, Miami is not tied down to one front seven, they'll mix and match as the game dictates; hell, they aren't even tied down to a front seven, I know they've run a front five once. They're aren't many QBs who can read that kind of jumble, much less become used to it, especially when combined with a blitz package that's almost the same as the Blitzburg package.

I don't think we will win this one, they are the champs for a reason.

SteelHack said:
Just a few notes

The idea that Ben gets mostly 3rd and short is false.

Here is a list of the top QB's in the game last year.
Third downs over 6 yards

Palmer - 64%
Manning - 61%
Brady - 65%
Roethlisberger - 71%

So 71% Ben faced 3rd and more than 6yds

Ben is not just a dink and dunk QB....here is a list to prove that as well
Completions over 20+ yards, in raws and percents

Palmer - 43, 12% of all completions, 8% of all attempts, 7.54 YPA
Manning - 45, 15% of all completions, 10% of all attempts, 8.27 YPA
Brady - 59, 18% of all completions, 11% of all attempts, 7.75 YPA
Roethlisberger - 35, 21% of all completions, 13% of all attempts, 8.9 YPA

Ben doesnt throw as often as the other guys..and thats why his yards are not high...but when he does throw...he attempts...and completes longer passes at a higher rate.

As for Kimo Von Olhoffen....It was sad to see him leave...but Brett Keisel very well could be an upgrade.....Kimo was a great run stuffer....Keisel is a very good pass rusher.... In the 3-4 you want your DE's to stop the run first..and that will be the question on Keisel this year....but Keisel is very capable of putting up 10 sacks this year....I believe he will show he can stop the run as well.

HACK

You do understand that when you're a dominant running team like the Steelers were last year, the times you do pass it's a lot easier than a team who is more of a passing team. At least that's how I've always known it.

personally i feel if the steelers win the game it will be an upset

I think it should be a close game,,,the Steelers are not looking that great. Big Ben is not throwing the ball that great. I think if we can hold Willie Parker in check we should be fine...not sure how Heinz Ward is doing or if he will be ready, but I think we have a good shot to win this, just like we beat the Denver Donkeys in last year's opener.

Preseason does not matter! Even losing Randal El will hurt them alot.

This game reminds me of the opening road game Miami won against the Titans after their trip to the SB. I believe Miami was something like a TD underdog in that game as well. Until that point, TEN had almost never lost at home.

Miami has either the best or next to the best opening winning record in the league. They just tend to win these games. Nothing changed with Saban last year when a much worse Miami team blasted Denver in the opener.

SteelHack said:
The first string Steeler group did not score last year in the preseason.

Then scored 61 points in the first two weeks of the season.

The Colts had lost their last 8 preseason games, before finally beating New Orleans the other night.

Anything can happen on opening day....but what happens in the preseason doesnt show the whole story.

HACK

I agree that preseason is hardly a definitive guide to the regular season.

However, Pitt blasted two awful teams in the beginning of last season. Miami will be bringing in one of the better Ds you will see all season with its best O in years.

Honestly, doesn't your secondary and probably starting the season without Ward (injury) and Randle El (FA) concern you at all? Those are the glaring changes I see from last year's SB team.

SteelHack said:
Just a few notes

The idea that Ben gets mostly 3rd and short is false.

Here is a list of the top QB's in the game last year.
Third downs over 6 yards

Palmer - 64%
Manning - 61%
Brady - 65%
Roethlisberger - 71%

So 71% Ben faced 3rd and more than 6yds

Ben is not just a dink and dunk QB....here is a list to prove that as well
Completions over 20+ yards, in raws and percents

Palmer - 43, 12% of all completions, 8% of all attempts, 7.54 YPA
Manning - 45, 15% of all completions, 10% of all attempts, 8.27 YPA
Brady - 59, 18% of all completions, 11% of all attempts, 7.75 YPA
Roethlisberger - 35, 21% of all completions, 13% of all attempts, 8.9 YPA

Ben doesnt throw as often as the other guys..and thats why his yards are not high...but when he does throw...he attempts...and completes longer passes at a higher rate.

As for Kimo Von Olhoffen....It was sad to see him leave...but Brett Keisel very well could be an upgrade.....Kimo was a great run stuffer....Keisel is a very good pass rusher.... In the 3-4 you want your DE's to stop the run first..and that will be the question on Keisel this year....but Keisel is very capable of putting up 10 sacks this year....I believe he will show he can stop the run as well.

HACK

The fact that Big Ben had to overcome so many third and longs last year is not a positive when you have lost your starting WRs and your QB appears to be rusty. Miami is doing its best to duplicate the Blitzburgh D and Ben is going to have damn little time to make medium passes for 1st downs in the opener.

Also, I did not say that Big Ben is only a dink and dunk QB. He has a cannon and is generally accurate with the deep ball. That is why I noted the shocking reduction to dink and dunk performance during preseason. Is he having a hard time finding open receivers down field? In any case, being placed in 3d and 6+ yard situations when you are averaging 5.0 YPA is not a good combination.

I am not joining those phans here talking smack about the Steelers. They are the reigning champs and this should be one of Miami's toughest games on paper.

However, I do see some weaknesses in the Steeler air game and air defense which complement our strengths on the opposite side of the ball.

It should be a fun game!

:cooldude:

pitt upset--

saban knows how big this win could be for his rebuilding efforts--as long as the fins "leave it all on the field" i will be satisfied--but if they do, i bet they get the win.:dolphins:

Dolphan-B said:
This game reminds me of the opening road game Miami won against the Titans after their trip to the SB. I believe Miami was something like a TD underdog in that game as well. Until that point, TEN had almost never lost at home.

Miami has either the best or next to the best opening winning record in the league. They just tend to win these games. Nothing changed with Saban last year when a much worse Miami team blasted Denver in the opener.

I agree that preseason is hardly a definitive guide to the regular season.

However, Pitt blasted two awful teams in the beginning of last season. Miami will be bringing in one of the better Ds you will see all season with its best O in years.

Honestly, doesn't your secondary and probably starting the season without Ward (injury) and Randle El (FA) concern you at all? Those are the glaring changes I see from last year's SB team.

The fact that Big Ben had to overcome so many third and longs last year is not a positive when you have lost your starting WRs and your QB appears to be rusty. Miami is doing its best to duplicate the Blitzburgh D and Ben is going to have damn little time to make medium passes for 1st downs in the opener.

Also, I did not say that Big Ben is only a dink and dunk QB. He has a cannon and is generally accurate with the deep ball. That is why I noted the shocking reduction to dink and dunk performance during preseason. Is he having a hard time finding open receivers down field? In any case, being placed in 3d and 6+ yard situations when you are averaging 5.0 YPA is not a good combination.

I am not joining those phans here talking smack about the Steelers. They are the reigning champs and this should be one of Miami's toughest games on paper.

However, I do see some weaknesses in the Steeler air game and air defense which complement our strengths on the opposite side of the ball.

It should be a fun game!

:cooldude:
FROM ANOTHER POST
You do understand that when you're a dominant running team like the Steelers were last year, the times you do pass it's a lot easier than a team who is more of a passing team. At least that's how I've always known it.

You do run the ball to set up the pass...but 3rd and 6 or more is an obvious passing down...The Defense knows you are more likely to pass than run in that situation.

As for Ben, he has not looked rusty...he did not look good at times against Philly..but the Eagles were bringing the full blitz package...and the Steelers were just lining up and putting a hat on hat...when the game planning begins..that pressure should diminish....The Steelers normally have one of the better Olines in football...so unless something is really wrong with them..they should be fine. Back to Ben...he has made really only 1 bad pass in the preseason games.

HACK

Back
Top Bottom