Are the Steelers ripe for upset? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Steelers ripe for upset?

i wouldn't underestimate any of our 13 opponents, no matter how "vulnerable" they may look.

SteelHack said:
The first string Steeler group did not score last year in the preseason.

Then scored 61 points in the first two weeks of the season.

The Colts had lost their last 8 preseason games, before finally beating New Orleans the other night.

Anything can happen on opening day....but what happens in the preseason doesnt show the whole story.

Bada-bing!!!!

Dolphan-B said:
The Steelers may be ripe for the upset if preseason is any indicator...

Opposing starting QBs have been carving the Steeler secondary up, completing 25 of 33 passes for 268 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs for a 129.36 rating.

Against that secondary, Pepper comes in completing 22 of 30 passes (73.3%) for 218 yards (7.3 YPA) and one TD which was taken away and nothing close to an INT for a rating of 93.5 against three much better secondaries.

Opposing starting QBs have been shut down by the Phins D, completing only 14 of 34 passes for 185 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT for a rating of 56.62.

Against that secondary, Big Ben comes in completing 15 of 22 (68.2%) dinking and dunking for 111 yards (5.0 YPA), 1 TD and 1 INT for a rating of 76.1 against one of three secondaries which could be considered good.

Both Ds have been fairly stout against the run.

Both Os have been so so running the ball, but Miami played three of the top run Ds in the league.

When we look at scoring, Miami's starting D gave up 5 FGs (one of which was set up by the Welker fumble), while the Steeler starting D gave up 2 TDs and 3 FGs (mostly through the air).

On the flip side, Miami's starting O scored 3 TDs and 2 FGs while the Steeler starting O scored 1 TD and 0 FGs. Both starting Os scored 1 TD with the backup QB under center as both starting QBs are recovering from injuries.

You can only tell so much from preseason stats, but the Steelers seem to have a serious problem with their secondary and have trouble passing the ball with Hines Ward still nursing a stubborn hammy injury. Ward could not complete practice recently because of the pain.

Pepper could have a big night in the opener and Miami could pull off the road upset.

:cooldude:

Really hope so, that is all my friends at school talk about. UPSET!!:dolphins:

I think anytime you give Saban an entire offseason to game plan, we have a very good shot - as Denver found out last year.

People are forgetting the Steelers were around 7-5 at one point last season. As soon as their schedule became a cakewalk with teams like Detroit coming up , they went on a little streak.

Big deal. We're gonna pound em on the 7th

ps- Then they got lucky by destroying Palmer's knee very early in the first playoff game.. Then Tony Dungy's son died late in the season and they lost their first game to san diego right after that with another loss before the playoffs.. The Colts were a different team after his kid died, it had a profound effect on that team and they weren't the same, it showed clearly late in the regular season before the playoffs.

This Pittsburgh team won't make the postseason in 2006 . Mark it down. The most overrated team in the league .

From what I've seen & read, The Steelers aren't handling the pressure of being top dog very well.

Yes. It is possible for the 'phins to win on 9/7.

I'd say there are as many giving Miami a chance to win their opener as their were last year.

utahphinsfan said:
From what I've seen & read, The Steelers aren't handling the pressure of being top dog very well.

Not only that, but what about all the media squabbles drowning the city of Pittsburgh that this may be Cowher's last season and he'll retire.. C'mon, if your a player who has been partying it up all offseason (three O-linemen have been reported as being extremely out of shape) , why would you play hard if you know your head boss is about to hit the road any day now ??

Then you add other factors, like they're only above average receiver (Ward) is hurt and out. He hasn't played this preseason. Then they don't have Randle El anymore as a decoy to make defenses think they'll do a trick play. Their leader in the running game is gone (Bettis) . I dont see that team replacing Bettis's 75% 3rd down conversion rate.

djphinfan said:
Not to mention all the cowher rumors of his retirement

They aren't rumors of retirement, just of him not coaching the Steelers anymore. If Cowher doesn't get a new contract with the Steelers, I can see him going to Washington after Gibbs leaves.

MastR_EvaluatoR said:
C'mon, if your a player who has been partying it up all offseason (three O-linemen have been reported as being extremely out of shape)

I'm worried myself.....I'm showing up out of shape as well...It's hard building up football beer tolerance when taking the summer off...well sort of..:finfan72:

unifiedtheory said:
Upset?

We're gonna go in and kick their *****, on national T.V. with EVERYONE watching...I have no doubt.

I'm not worried about the Steelers.

Agreed...the Phins will win this game.

Would it really be an upset if we beat them?

Think about our track record on opening day games.We're going to make a statement right away by beating the super bowl champs(If there isnt a hurricane like when we played them in roethlisbergers 1st ever game.) lol wow i still have nightmares about that game. Thank god we have a pro bowl qb compared to the Eyesore that has been the dolphins quarterback rotation since dan left. Daunte has a cannon with amazing accuracy the way i see its all up to Miluarkey(not sure on spelling its early) and his play calling. If he's just gonna call short dump routes all year it could be a long season but if he's gonna allow daunte to really show what he can do. Watch out for the phins come january but yeah i think miami has a really good shot of knocking off the superbowl champs in week 1.:dolphins:

Is our season lost if we lose the opening game? No. It's a long season. It's nice to be #1 (again) with teams circling their games against the Steelers.
Here we go Steelers, Here we go...

I tend to think the Steelers are thinking this game is a somewhat easy win. I think at halftime they are showing of their superbowl rings or something. The whole world will be rocking Rothlisbergers jockstrap all night long.

The Dolphins are pretty damn good in first games. Saban has been planning this one for a long time. Steelers think they are better than us, but what I think will transpire will be something along the lines of Delhomme being totally upset and bewildered by our stout D and not having an answer (last week).

I think Mularky has a trick play or two up his sleeves for this one too. I think Culpepper is pumped as is all our players to be on national TV to start the season and to show the world that the Dolphins are for real. Nick Saban is supreme ruler!

Back
Top Bottom