Are we going a little to far about eht FIns this year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we going a little to far about eht FIns this year

if anyone wants to question the 6 game winning streak as a fluke i would just argue that the 4-12 season was a fluke, it was our fist loosing since the 80's and if it wernt for ricky leaving that year we were legit playoff contenders comming off a strong 10-6 season, last year was a solid year and we really got a good look at the team we have and the team that will develope in the future but as if that were not enough nick went out made a bunch of moves to make us into real contenders sooner than later and with a coach like nick who wants to win and coaches with high intensity and emotions will lead us to more victories.........the 06 season looks bright and as of right now it looks like we have a legit shot at making it, steelers are beat up and lost some key players, the colts lost their secret weapon in edge, the pats are takeable and so is the rest of the afc, its very possible that we can reach the big game this year

Welcome to Finheaven.

I have always found that to be an interesting argument that we are overoptimistic bc we beat teams with losing records. That is how every team that has a winning record got it...by beating other teams with losing records.

Below is a breakdown of how many wins were over teams .500 (Atlanta) and below for all the teams with winning records last year.

AFC EAST

NE = 7 of 10 wins against teams .500 or below.
Miami = 5 of 9 wins against teams .500 or below.

NORTH

Cincinnati = 8 of 11 wins against teams .500 or below.
Pittsburgh = 7 of 11 wins against teams .500 or below.

SOUTH

Indy = 9 of 14 wins against teams .500 or below.
Jacksonville = 9 of 12 wins against teams .500 or below.

WEST

Denver = 6 of 13 wins against teams .500 or below.
SD = 4 of 9 wins against teams .500 or below.
KC = 4 of 10 wins against teams .500 or below.

NFC EAST

NY Giants = 7 of 11 wins against teams .500 or below.
Wash = 5 of 10 wins against teams .500 or below.
Dallas = 4 of 9 wins against teams .500 or below.

NFC NORTH
Chicago = 8 of 11 wins against teams .500 or below.
Minnesota = 7 of 9 wins against teams .500 or below.

NFC SOUTH

Panthers = 8 of 11 wins against teams .500 or below.
TB = 7 of 11 wins against teams .500 or below.

NFC WEST

Seattle = 10 of 13 wins against teams .500 or below.

As the list above indicates, the teams with the best records and highest seeds are the teams that have the most wins against teams with losing records. Are Pitt fans overoptimistic since 7 of 11 wins were against teams with losing records? Or Seattle fans bc 10 of 13 wins were against teams with losing records?

It may be just as fair to argue that the Dolphins underachieved last year by losing to Buffalo, NY Jets, Cleveland and Atlanta, as well as, KC and NE at home.

I agree with teh "catious" optimism part, and with how fan is short for fanatic. Borrowing from Herm Edwards though, "You play to win the game." And just like players, fans want to carry themselves liek thier team is the best. You don't want to not believe in your team. To you, no matter what, they should be the best.

RenoFinFan said:
Welcome to Finheaven.

I have always found that to be an interesting argument that we are overoptimistic bc we beat teams with losing records. That is how every team that has a winning record got it...by beating other teams with losing records.

Below is a breakdown of how many wins were over teams .500 (Atlanta) and below for all the teams with winning records last year.

AFC EAST

NORTH

SOUTH

WEST

NFC EAST

NFC NORTH

NFC SOUTH

NFC WEST

As the list above indicates, the teams with the best records and highest seeds are the teams that have the most wins against teams with losing records. Are Pitt fans overoptimistic since 7 of 11 wins were against teams with losing records? Or Seattle fans bc 10 of 13 wins were against teams with losing records?

It may be just as fair to argue that the Dolphins underachieved last year by losing to Buffalo, NY Jets, Cleveland and Atlanta, as well as, KC and NE at home.

Exactly my point. GREAT analysis!!!! The balance of this league makes any win impressive, let alone 6 straight. Good post Reno!

We might be going a little too far, but that's what fans are for.

To me the most important thing is that the team is headed in the right direction with a coaching staff who know what they are doing.

Who cares if we're going to far or not. It won't affect what happens on the field one way are the other. People take this stuff too seriously. It's the offseason and there is nothing wrong with optimism to energize people when nothing much is going on. Sports is the opium of the people. There are no serious ramifications for the fans if the team doesn't live up to the expectations, it'll just be better luck next year.

RenoFinFan said:
Welcome to Finheaven.

AFC EAST

NORTH

SOUTH

WEST

NFC EAST

NFC NORTH

NFC SOUTH

NFC WEST

excellent work!!!

If you want to analyze it one step further , you can say that Miami had a winning record against the teams they played with winning records 4 Wins(denver, carolina, San Diego, and New England) 3 losses (KC, TB, NE)!

A true die hard fan would alway's say we are going to the big show.
and nobody is better then us, it's not being delusional it's being a die hard fan!!

DolphinDevil28 said:
Uhh, what's the one thing people have said about the Dolphins the past six years?

It's, "man, if only they had a quarterback."

"They are talented, but they have no quarterback."

...So, tell me now, why the hell we shouldn't be optimistic?

:yeahthat: Took the words right outta my mouth! :D

People are gettin really hyped.......I've been a fan long enough to be
pragmatic. Well see how it goes.

I'm great with Nick. I think he's made great moves.

It is not unrealistic to see a regression of sorts in a comeback.

I think people that predict SB and then, decry other people as "Not fans" if they disagree are really, the "homers" of us.

I like our chances, but, at the same time, I'm cautious.

If that makes me a non-fan, oh well.

BIG_FISH_RI said:
I joined this site a feww weeks ago and this is my first post. I really enjoy the site and check it daily. I wanted to start this post to see what other fin fans thought about our optomizim for this up coming season. Let me 1st say that I am a huge Fub fan and noboby argue more for the fis then I do. Look at the name I live in NE and all of my friends are Pat's fans. As a mater of fact my best buddy is a scout for the Pats Every x-mas he gives me a bunch of stuff that would be nice if it didn't have the Pat's logo on it. . I love the Fish like any other fan and If you ask me we are going to the big show this year. BUT, are we a little ahead of ourselves for this season. Yeah we had a great rebound from a season prior to last going 9-7 however lets look at the last few games for the last 1/4 stretch of the season.
we got killed by a 3-7 Cleveland team at the time
we beat a losing Oakland team the following week later
followed by a struggleing Buf. team a losing San Diego team (that had a lot to play for at the time - really a good win)
a losing jets team and we sweeked past a playoff bound Pat's team that did not play their starters and had nothing to gain by beating us (hey a win is a win). it could be argued that we really did not beat any team of quality other then SD at the end of the season. Is there really a big reason to be optomistic this year. Just throwing it out there to see what others think.

I don't think anyone would be as high on our team if we had DW still coaching and the exact same roster as last year. It is not just the 6 game win streak that makes us all so excited about the possibilities for the upcoming year. In the NFL the most important position is QB. Last year during that win streak we didn't have one. This year, whether you wanted Brees or C-pep, you have to agree that what we have is an upgrade over what we had. That and the other offseason moves added to the 6 game win streak is what gives me hope.

Back
Top Bottom