Are We Making A Mistake? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Making A Mistake?

andyahs

Bahamian Redneck
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I have liked Richard from the day we fired Gase and wanted him over everyone else. Learning more about Flores and the obvious direction Grier has taken has warmed me to him and I have grown to like him but will we regret not going with Richard?

Time will tell but I believe Richard will be a very good head coach very soon.

"Everything he does I admire," Marinelli said of Richard, per Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "The loyalty, the work ethic, the intelligence, the teaching, the inspiring—it's special. It's fun to come to work every day when you are around good people. He's a special coach."

Richard began appearing on top-candidate lists for head coaching jobs as the Cowboys rose through the standings. He interviewed with the Jets, Buccaneers and Dolphins in early January.

No offer materialized. The Buccaneers chose old-school offensive mastermind Bruce Arians, the Jets recycled Adam Gase and the Dolphins reportedly are waiting until after the Super Bowl to hire Brian Flores from the Bill Belichick defensive school instead of plucking Richard from the Carroll school. Most of the other coaching candidacies were filled by fresh-faced Sean McVay lookalikes.

Read More:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...oom-when-he-finally-gets-a-head-coaching-shot

Richard didn't get any consideration from a lot of teams.

He's a scream at you DB coach, how long is that gonna last?

Nobody knows how this is gonna play out, but Flores has a calming demeanor that a head coach needs.

Honestly- we just don't know, not even sure Grier knows 100 percent. The bottom line is whoever Grier thinks he can "get it done with" he was given that choice - sink or swim.
I have heard nothing but positive things about Richard though....yes the same with Flores but that is mostly from patriot people.

Any coach who doesn't have a long resume of success in multiple locations with the group he's responsible for is hard to evaluate even with all the information available to Grier/Ross. With the information available to us regular guys? Literally impossible.

Both are under qualified choices. I like Richard better because of the success in multiple spots, but it's such a small sample that it's not all that meaningful anyway. Either way we're taking a shot in the dark.

I have liked Richard from the day we fired Gase and wanted him over everyone else. Learning more about Flores and the obvious direction Grier has taken has warmed me to him and I have grown to like him but will we regret not going with Richard?

Read More:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...oom-when-he-finally-gets-a-head-coaching-shot

We'll know in a couple of years. First, we'll find out how Flores does as our HC. Then, *IF* Richards gets his shot at a HC gig, we'll need a couple of years to see how he does too.

Since neither of these two guys has been a HC before, nor do they have long track records at a coordinator level, it's impossible to judge now. Furthermore, since none (maybe one or two?) of us have any reliable insider knowledge about either of these two gents or have any clue how they are behind closed doors, there isn't a rational way to answer this question before each of them get a couple of years as a HC under their belts.

Read More:

Richard could be a great HC one day, he may not. Flores could be a great HC, he may not.
When you dig into assistants and coordinators you take a 50/50 shot at best. Everybody wants that next McVay or that golden boy who brings success to a franchise. But most often than not franchises fail even with experienced HCs they hire.

For me it is important that the FO (GM) is completely in sync with the new HC. They have to think with one head, talk with one voice and from acquisition of new players to integrating them into the team has to be as flawless as possible. We might have that for the first time in a very long time. GM and HC will either succeed together or fail together.

What I like with Flores is that he is not shying away from hiring experienced coordinators. If the rumors are correct and Caldwell will head to the Phins that says a lot about Flores. He has no false ego but rather wants to assemble the best coaching staff possible. Caldwell has HC eperience on the college and NFL level. He may not have had the success in that capacity like some would like to see but a lot of coaches are better coordinators than HCs and his experience will be valuable for Flores.

For me it was important that Grier will get his chance. Check.
I wanted him to handpick his HC he will be working with. Check.

Now I sit back and enjoy the ride.

Idk, I was high on Richard too and would have been ok with either. I do like that Flores started on the scouting side and has also coached, offense, and special teams. He seems like a guy who has a lot of experience on a lot of different t parts of the team.

I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worse for all things Dolphins.

As a perspective of an older fan (since 1975), not sure how young some of you are, but we have royally failed with the “sexy hire” too.

Getting that coach all the fans want doesn’t really mean anything, Flores has as good a chance as anyone.

Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban were nowhere near as successful as we had assumed they would be.

I will give Jimmy credit though, I thought he was incredibly smart and loved his approach to winning. He put together a GREAT defense but could never get the offense rolling.

He was the complete opposite of those that came after him. Wannstedt and Ireland were always convinced one player alone (not the qb) was the key. We have been giving away multiple picks for players/higher picks since then.

Johnson admitted what most scouts and many on this board cannot, the draft is a crapshoot. These people that talk like they know DONT KNOW. He wanted to improve his chances by stacking up picks. One year we had 14 in a 7 round draft.

Don’t think for a second there is not a qb in this next draft that can be had that wouldn’t be great for us. There will be. The question is will we take him? Will anyone take him and give him a real chance?

Back
Top Bottom