Are we trading with Denver? it's possible | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we trading with Denver? it's possible

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Speaking Thursday, Broncos GM George Paton revealed he had spoken with Dolphins GM Chris Grier on Wednesday.​

We will try not to overstate this — it isn't exactly uncommon for GMs to be speaking this time of year — but Paton's admission comes amidst reports the Dolphins would like to trade back down from No. 6, while it would make sense for the quarterback-needy Broncos to move up from No. 9. Paton and Grier also worked together for six years in Miami, so they have a longtime relationship. This is one trade with a real chance of happening between now and next Thursday's first round.

Speaking Thursday, Broncos GM George Paton revealed he had spoken with Dolphins GM Chris Grier on Wednesday.​

We will try not to overstate this — it isn't exactly uncommon for GMs to be speaking this time of year — but Paton's admission comes amidst reports the Dolphins would like to trade back down from No. 6, while it would make sense for the quarterback-needy Broncos to move up from No. 9. Paton and Grier also worked together for six years in Miami, so they have a longtime relationship. This is one trade with a real chance of happening between now and next Thursday's first round.
this seems more likely, but i saw that Paton interview and he said he has not had any discussions about Broncos trading up.

just spoke to people that may want to trade up to #9.

if we trade up from #18, it's good to know what it may cost to get all the way up to #9, but I see #11 (giants), #14 (cards) as more likely destinations for us.

Well, so many things can happen but it starts with SF taking Jones imo......also, in order for us to move back to 9 I'd think at least 3 of Pitts/Chase/Smith/Waddle would have to still be on the board. That way if we move back to 9 you know that at worst, one of those guys would still be there for us.

I would caution any more moves, sometime being greedy for picks to take the last remaining of the top dogs seems like a bad idea. I would hope they really like one or two players and just take them, stop playing around.
All these trade and move talks are talking points. GM's talk all the time doesn't mean anything until it happens.

I agree, get our playmaker at #6.

All these trade and move talks are talking points. GM's talk all the time doesn't mean anything until it happens.

I agree, get our playmaker at #6.
Yea, talk is aplenty but Grier does seem to like to move...I'm behind him just hope we don't sacrifice a potential big playmaker for a bevy of picks to land a tier 2 guy.

Well, so many things can happen but it starts with SF taking Jones imo......also, in order for us to move back to 9 I'd think at least 3 of Pitts/Chase/Smith/Waddle would have to still be on the board. That way if we move back to 9 you know that at worst, one of those guys would still be there for us.
Yea... another trade down for Miami simply isnt happening until they are on the clock at #6. The trade doesnt necessarily have to hinge on 3 put of those 4 still being available though. I could see Miami being down for a Jeudy and #9 for #6 trade for instance...

A few cards need to fall into place to get an enticing offer. Such as: we need SF to take Jones and we need ATL to not trade out or take a QB.
If those 3 things happen our 6 get really interesting.

Yea... another trade down for Miami simply isnt happening until they are on the clock at #6. The trade doesnt necessarily have to hinge on 3 put of those 4 still being available though. I could see Miami being down for a Jeudy and #9 for #6 trade for instance...

I suspect it's quite common for GMs to talk theoretically . . . 'Hey Chris, if we have a guy we want at #6, you have any interest in a trade?' Discussion follows.
I can't imagine GMs starting that entire discussion when one is on the clock. In lower rounds, yes, but not a trade including a top 10 pick.

Danny is right that SF taking Jones at #3 helps us with how most clubs should be feeling about Fields and Lance and motivated to draft or move up for them, that should be the key to 4 QB's in a row at top of draft leaving only Bungles to draft ahead of us. Or they're both still on the board at #6 and now we have another hot commodity with that pick.

Trading up from 18 to 9 to potentially end up with say Pitts and Smith is super enticing but I'd really hate to give up our 36 to do that, I feel like we need another 2nd rounder much less give up one of the two we have. Still have wholes on defense, need that RB and could certainly use another stud O-lineman, Center in my opinion at #50 but could be tackle. I'm more of the mind to trade down from 18 to 28 or something like that, pick up another 2nd, take one of the top 3 RB's there at #28 and then have three 2nd's to hit the corn, O-line, edge, LB.

Just happy it is getting close, so many possibilities ..

It's going to take a lot for us to trade out once you study the situation.
First we gave up our 1st in next years draft plus moved back in this year's draft from 4 to 5 th. Take into consideration we did this without knowing for sure that our target would be there.
So first we would want to recoup that compensation plus more without looking foolish. 2 nd if Denver's target is available at the 6 th pick on the day of the draft that is worth much more to them than what we gave up for the unknown pick at 6 th.
If I am Grier it would take their 1st and 2nd this year and 1st next year to move out and thats if Pitts or Chase or gone.
I expect we stick at 6 and end up taking Waddle or Smith.
Personally I would trade out for the 1st and 2nd and a 6 th this year. Grab Parsons, Swell, Smith or Waddle of who ever is available at pick 9 and then at 18 grab either Bateman if I did not choose Waddle or Smith and it pick Collins or Payne if I chose Waddle or Smith.

I like having options. At this point I would wait until the draft was unfolding on draft day. Unless we could get another 1st from Denver by moving down 3 spots.

Agreed, because if Atlanta goes Pitts and Cinci goes Chase a trade back means you may miss out on Smith and Waddle. Need 4 QB's to be drafted ahead of us to have a trade back as an option IF the FO wants one of those four. So many factors need to work out but if Sewell and Parsons are on the list as well then trade away and get your guy and another pick or two.

Agreed, because if Atlanta goes Pitts and Cinci goes Chase a trade back means you may miss out on Smith and Waddle. Need 4 QB's to be drafted ahead of us to have a trade back as an option IF the FO wants one of those four. So many factors need to work out but if Sewell and Parsons are on the list as well then trade away and get your guy and another pick or two.

WRs have a tendency to fall into the teens if they don't have an elite size/speed combination.

I don't think its an absolute given that some like Waddle won't slide to near our #18. So if we traded back not too far, I imagine he will be available.

Though he's my least desired skill position player to take early.

Back
Top Bottom