Are You an Optimist, Pessimist, or Realist? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are You an Optimist, Pessimist, or Realist?

AllFinsAllDay

Active Roster
Reaction score
Saw this on another forum and i straight copied it because it was interesting and tells a lot about people on this site.

I wanted to talk about yesterday's game, specifically, the final score. Let's get the obvious out of the way. We lost - 21 to 23. Losing sucks. But I think, depending on your perspective, all may not be lost.

The Optimist: I'm a natural optimist. Looking at our losses, it's very easy to quantify our results into something meaningful. The New Orleans game was and will be an aberration. Good teams get blown out, especially if they're playing in a high-profile prime time game. This was Ryan Tannehill's first appearance on Monday Night Football; it's reasonable to assume that he had some big game jitters. I watched the game, and I think that's a perfectly acceptable way to look at his performance. The other two losses are more easily explainable. We lost by 3 points to the defending champs - who may be struggling a bit but are the defending champs, and lost by 2 points to an underrated Buffalo team at home. Baltimore has had our number seemingly for years, we always play them close but we typically end up on the short end of the box score. Buffalo, at first glance, seems like a Waterloo in our season, a "We are who we thought we were" type of moment that regressed us back to the norm. But the optimist in me sees that final score - only a 2 point loss, against a hungry Buffalo team rallying around their QB situation. The Bills still have a very good defense, thaTat hasn't changed (regardless of who is under center). Coming off the bye, is it possible that this team got caught looking ahead to New England and taking the Bills for granted? I certainly think so. The Bills game has all the trappings of a classic trap game, with a decent team looking to the future (and Tom Brady) instead of focusing on the present. From here we are going to turn the corner in New England and use that as a springboard to get us back into playoff contention.

The Pessimist: Our season is over. Ryan Tannehill is not the answer. The Bills game was the last straw for this team. Three straight losses have doomed us to another season of mediocrity or worse. Good teams don't lose to bad teams, especially at home, and especially within the division. Looking at our spate of upcoming games, it's hard to see a lot of wins coming our way. New England and Cincinnati are both going to be tough games. Rob Gronkowski is going to treat is like a frat girl. From there it doesn't get any easier. Tampa Bay has to get a win at some point. San Diego, Carolina, and (I can't believe I'm typing this) the New York Jets are all going to be tough outs. Rex Ryan's defense is going to destroy this offensive line. It's very easy to see a scenario where we are sitting at 4-8 with two thirds of the season gone. From there we get the Steelers, who are having a little bit of a down year but always seem to have our number (sort of like the Ravens - what is with these AFC North teams?). Then we get to the murderer's row portion of our schedule - New England, Buffalo, New York. Two out of three on the road. In December. In the northeast. Sure, we might win one or even two of those games, but there's no way this team is escaping with anything better than a 6-10 or maybe a 7-9 record. Jeff Ireland, Ryan Tannehill, Tyson Clabo, everyone not named Cameron Wake needs to go. And maybe even Wake, since he can't stay healthy any more and may be at a point where he's simply too old to be effective.

The Realist: You can't look at the last three games in a vacuum, any more than the first three. When looking at our 3-0 start, we won both games that were decided by 7 points or less (Indianapolis 24-20 and Atlanta 27-23). When looking at our last 3 losses, we lost both games that were decided by 7 points or less (Baltimore 23-26 and Buffalo 21-23). This team hasn't changed since the start of the season - they've simply regressed back to the mean. Some folks call it luck - but it's really statistics. Over the course of a typical NFL season (which has a much too small sample size) it's reasonable to assume that a team will win 50% of games decided by a touchdown or less. The 2013 Miami Dolphins aren't an exception to the rule - they are the rule, personified, through 6 games of the season. (If you want an exception to the rule, look at last year's Colts team - 9-1 in games decided by 7 points or less). What does that mean for the rest of the season in Miami? It's reasonable to expect us to continue to split these games as they happen - most likely finishing with a record somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7.

As I said up above, I'm a natural optimist. I don't think that this team is as bad as they've played over the course of the last several games. Cameron Wake should be back at near full strength for next week's game at New England. We finally have the athletes on defense to compete with Brady and company. I like the matchups there. Dion Jordan is a work in progress. That said, you don't trade up to the third overall pick for a project. You're wanting instant impact. Thus far, through six games and one sack, he hasn't shown it. Tannehill is the same way. 83.1 isn't a bad QB rating. But it's not great either. (It's also right in line with some of the other more heralded QBs - RGIII is at 83.4, CKap is at 85.0). I'd like to see Tannehill cut down on the mistakes (especially the turnovers - right now those are just killing us) and stop pressing so much. The real problem, I think, is that Tannehill doesn't have a great pocket presence. He doesn't have a great situational awareness, and this offensive line is just getting him killed. Did you know that Tannehill is now the most sacked QB in the NFL this season? If there's one area of the team I'm pessimistic about, it's this offensive line, which, outside of Pouncy, is beyond offensive and just abysmal. If this team continues to struggle - and it's certainly within the realm of possibility - then most likely it will be due to this line, which is currently ranked (and this was before yesterday's "performance" ) as 27th in the NFL according to Football Outsiders. Blech. If this offensive line can turn the corner - just get into the conversation at 20th or even middle of the pack - there's enough talent for this team in other areas to be dangerous. Will that happen?

Well I guess that depends on your point of view. Are you an Optimist, a Pessimist, or a Realist? I'm curious to see how everyone else is feeling this morning.

I am a natural Optimist.

I am pessimistic that Sherman has a clue how to fix our problems.

I am a realist when I watch other teams who had problems bounce back and beat a great team Colts/Broncos because they played a balanced offense, even if there running game isnt the greatest in the league. They ran with a purpose to the bigger picture.

I'm an optimist. I was an optimist during the early stages of the Sparano/Henne era too until nothing changed after a season and a half - until it is time to actually get pessimistic.

Way, way too early to give up on Tannehill. Anyone saying that he needs to go is either trolling or is caught up in the emotions of a tough loss - toughest in a long time IMO. The sack-strip by Tannehill was absolutely brutal, but you live and you learn. McKinnie will jump in on left tackle and Martin will slide back to the right. The black hole/turnstile that was Clabo will get to whiff the bench as he's trying to sit on it.

Fans are wishy washy, and Finheaven fans are no different - if (and this is a big IF) the Dolphins go into Foxboro and beat the Patriots, then this board will be in complete jubilation. No more of this "season over", "cut Tannehill", "fire Philbin" nonsense we're seeing this week.

It's a realist fact that Miami has not been good for a long time and that leads to being pessimistic. Optimism is only in the heart of the beholder if they can hope the team will be better in a way that will satisfy us, or believe the people in charge will not fail. I'm not there yet. And it is not about wins and losses for me on this point. Bad teams can win, good teams can lose. It is about how the team improves and we are not improving relative to the beginning of the season or last year. It will be easier this year to "get our number" as the year progresses as well. The blue print of our weaknesses is too obvious for teams planning against us.

I'm a realist. Buffalo was in worse shape than Miami with a new coaching staff and inexperienced QBs (after their starter was injured), and still beat the Fins. Buffalo has been playing better than Miami, and it appears that they have better coaching, too.

im a realist. tannehill is 10-13 in his first 23 starts. how many truly great qb's dont turn it around in 2 years? im really trying to think since 1983 how many franchise qb's started their careers with 2 straight mediocre years as far as the win loss column....if thats the case and this team finishes 6-10 it looks like the coaches, the gm and the qb all need to be gone.

im a realist. tannehill is 10-13 in his first 23 starts. how many truly great qb's dont turn it around in 2 years? im really trying to think since 1983 how many franchise qb's started their careers with 2 straight mediocre years as far as the win loss column....if thats the case and this team finishes 6-10 it looks like the coaches, the gm and the qb all need to be gone.

I got a couple

Drew Brees was 10-17 in his first three seasons with the Chargers (didn't play rookie year)
Jay Culter was 24-29 in his first four seasons with the Broncos and Bears
Matthew Stafford is currently 21-31 as the Lions starter

and as a bonus
Bob Griese was 10-20-2 in his first three seasons with the Dolphins (that was the time before the internet, before stupid opinions were prevalent and readily accessible)

Direct you to Mr. Drew Brees with the San Diego Chargers

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I got a couple

Drew Brees was 10-17 in his first three seasons with the Chargers (didn't play rookie year)
Jay Culter was 24-29 in his first four seasons with the Broncos and Bears
Matthew Stafford is currently 21-31 as the Lions starter

and as a bonus
Bob Griese was 10-20-2 in his first three seasons with the Dolphins (that was the time before the internet, before stupid opinions were prevalent and readily accessible)

Proves that people don't know what the hell they are talking about and just spout dumb stuff.

I'm always a realist. People think I'm a pessimist because the reality of this team is that they are average and nothing more...and they don't care for the message.

I am optimistic...as always, I never want to think the dolphins suck.

With that being said, we lost the New Orleans game......but being an optimist, I would say we were definitely in that game during the first half. We were holding Bree's and moving the ball. Then Tanny threw that pick and the momentum changed and Brees started to get in the zone and wear us down.

I missed parts of the Baltimore game, so I can't say much. However, we were one kick away from going into OT. So we were at least competitive against the defending champs (albeit a very different team from the Superbowl).

As for the Bills game, we played better over all but were out played us on a couple plays that decided the game. A pick six. A thrown pick in the redzone. A sack fumble in the 4th quarter. Our Defense looked good again. Our run game came into fruition. Our line played significantly better (minus the sack fumble). But those threes plays lost the game, hands down. Take any one of those plays away and we win. Throw in that missed field goal and we could have won with those plays. The score should have been 31 to 16.

Although I am an overall optimist, I'm am very pessimistic about Mike Sherman. He continues to call plays that I just don't understand. He can't design plays that help our poor line play. Tanny is mobile and can throw on the run....get him out of the pocket Miller is quick, throw a screen (we had the same problem with utilizing Bush)....wtf, our lineman already just let people run by them anyway. Get some mismatches for our WR's,and stop lining them up in the same spots. It's like that crappy OC we had before Draboll.....can't even remember his name, he was that insignificant. He throws in some great plays then follow it up with a QB draw on the 9 yd line against Kiko Alonso and Byrd.......2 guys you don't want hitting your QB. And jeez, dude can't design a blocking scheme to save his life.

Maybe, just maybe Tanny has learned everything he can as a QB under Sherman over the past 5yrs.

you named me three qb's and one from 43 years ago. 3 in 30 years and who says jay cutler is a franchise qb?? i dont know what the hell im talking about?? thats 2 franchise qb's in 30 years..and im giving you stafford but is he really a franchise qb? allfinsallday do the math cause you dont know what the hell YOU are talking about.

you named me three qb's and one from 43 years ago. 3 in 30 years and who says jay cutler is a franchise qb?? i dont know what the hell im talking about?? thats 2 franchise qb's in 30 years..and im giving you stafford but is he really a franchise qb? allfinsallday do the math cause you dont know what the hell YOU are talking about.

There are plenty of QB's who have bounced back from horrible first two years. For you to single out Tannehill because of a 1/2 a season is premature and silly. Instant gratification will get you nowhere and just proves you are being petty looking for an argument, and proves you DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Back
Top Bottom