Aren't you glad we didn't get Ramsey or Brunell? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aren't you glad we didn't get Ramsey or Brunell?

ABrownLamp said:
That is a ridiculous analogy. Ron Dayne has proven himself to be worthless. Brett Farve was a third stringer on the Falcons. Who was unproven at one point too.
I'll give you the Dayne analogy. It was not so much Dayne but the fact that just because a player has not played for Miami does not mean it was a good trade. He was the only RB I could think of that might be traded. Maybe I should have used Dominic Rhodes.

As for Farve being a 3rd stringer. Yes, it was his rookie year. Feeley has been one for 3 years. One thing on Farve is he was the 6th pick of the 2nd round the year before he was traded to GB and Wolf has previously said they were already going to draft him in '91 before Atlanta stepped in, two picks before them. Also Farve started in college for what I believe was his junior and senior year. I know he missed time because of surgery to have some of his intestines removed. Do not remember if it was his Soph or Junior year.

Now lets compare this to Feeley. Feeley was a 5th round pick 3 years ago. He has not started but about 12 games since HS (which was 1997). Sorry but if you say my analogy is ridculous then you replied with a comparison that was laughable.

ABrownLamp said:
Regardless of what Feeley does we have overpaid? Really. Regardless of whatever he does, huh? I don't think I have to extrapolate on that. I'm pretty sure you can figure out what I am going to say next...
Yes, regardless. No one can tell me that they know Feeley will be a great QB. So if Miami gets lucky then they got lucky. It does not change the fact that at the time of the trade they overpaid for him. Face it Feeley was the only young guy out there worth taking a chance on and Miami went after him. Since then they have been doing nothing but a sale job on him and from everything I've read. He is not looking very good. However I will not proclaim him to be a failure since it is early and they have not played yet. Everyone says Feeley is a poor practice player, so I will wait.

ABrownLamp said:
My point is that you...nor I know anything about the kid. Unlike Ron Dayne. We both know he sucks.
How do you know what I know? I know the guy did not start in college. It was not because he sat behind one QB, but two. I knoq he has been the Eagles No. 3 since his rookie season. Sorry but I do not see him being worth a No 2 pick. Now you already have RS talking about Feeley being the future QB, instead of a player they brought in to be the starter. Sorry but you do not trade a No. 2 pick for a 3 year vet QB to be a future QB. He has served his apprenticeship and should be ready to start.

Dphins4me said:
Sorry but you do not trade a No. 2 pick for a 3 year vet QB to be a future QB. He has served his apprenticeship and should be ready to start.
don't apologize! thats a good quote! In my opinion if Feeley doesn't start, its a failed transaction. He was paid "x" price to come in and BE the starting QB - you don't give up 2nd round to "compete" for starting.

In my eyes, if Feeley doesn't start, it was a wasted pick. If Feeley comes in mid-season and proves to be a serious weapon, then and only then will i retract my statement.

But for some reason, based on reading training camp reports, Feeley looks to be another Fiedler.

Its still too early to make evaluations.If AJ is having trouble learning our playbook I am not surprised Brunnell is having trouble also.Or for that matter Warner with the Giants.They are all with new teams.They probably wont show up until the 2nd or 3rd game into the season.

They (Ramsey/Brunell)both looked like crap in last nights game. After seeing last night I'd rather have hasselback :lol: :lol:

Dphins4me said:
I'll give you the Dayne analogy. It was not so much Dayne but the fact that just because a player has not played for Miami does not mean it was a good trade. He was the only RB I could think of that might be traded. Maybe I should have used Dominic Rhodes.

As for Farve being a 3rd stringer. Yes, it was his rookie year. Feeley has been one for 3 years. One thing on Farve is he was the 6th pick of the 2nd round the year before he was traded to GB and Wolf has previously said they were already going to draft him in '91 before Atlanta stepped in, two picks before them. Also Farve started in college for what I believe was his junior and senior year. I know he missed time because of surgery to have some of his intestines removed. Do not remember if it was his Soph or Junior year.

Now lets compare this to Feeley. Feeley was a 5th round pick 3 years ago. He has not started but about 12 games since HS (which was 1997). Sorry but if you say my analogy is ridculous then you replied with a comparison that was laughable.

Yes, regardless. No one can tell me that they know Feeley will be a great QB. So if Miami gets lucky then they got lucky. It does not change the fact that at the time of the trade they overpaid for him. Face it Feeley was the only young guy out there worth taking a chance on and Miami went after him. Since then they have been doing nothing but a sale job on him and from everything I've read. He is not looking very good. However I will not proclaim him to be a failure since it is early and they have not played yet. Everyone says Feeley is a poor practice player, so I will wait.

How do you know what I know? I know the guy did not start in college. It was not because he sat behind one QB, but two. I knoq he has been the Eagles No. 3 since his rookie season. Sorry but I do not see him being worth a No 2 pick. Now you already have RS talking about Feeley being the future QB, instead of a player they brought in to be the starter. Sorry but you do not trade a No. 2 pick for a 3 year vet QB to be a future QB. He has served his apprenticeship and should be ready to start.
A few things...first, I don't have any explanation for the third string for three years stuff. I mean really, that does bother me. But I do have faith in RS. I think he did a great job this year in the draft and in the offseason. I trust his judgment. And with the way he and the FO are dealing with OGun and RW leaving, I trust that they wouldn't have given up a second rounder if they didn't think he was worth it. And that is my problem with you saying "So if Miami gets lucky then they got lucky." BS. This isn't a game of dice. There was serious research that went into attaining into this guy. It really isn't the consenus that he "isn't looking very good."

Second, I think what people fail to realize is that when Feeley was at Oregon, he was the starter over Joey Harrington until he got HURT. That means the head coach at Oregon thought he was better than Joey Harrington at the time.

BizarroAndres said:
Im glad, Im just upset we wasted a 2nd round pick on a backup
:shakeno: You must be from Boston and think the Yankees suck, too. You may not like 'em, but they obviously don't suck.

Maybe we should have picked up Hasselbeck insted of Feeley!

ABrownLamp said:
A few things...first, I don't have any explanation for the third string for three years stuff. I mean really, that does bother me. But I do have faith in RS. I think he did a great job this year in the draft and in the offseason. I trust his judgment. And with the way he and the FO are dealing with OGun and RW leaving, I trust that they wouldn't have given up a second rounder if they didn't think he was worth it. And that is my problem with you saying "So if Miami gets lucky then they got lucky." BS. This isn't a game of dice. There was serious research that went into attaining into this guy. It really isn't the consenus that he "isn't looking very good."

Second, I think what people fail to realize is that when Feeley was at Oregon, he was the starter over Joey Harrington until he got HURT. That means the head coach at Oregon thought he was better than Joey Harrington at the time.

Thank you. This is exactly correct. Feeley as an underclassman was behind Akili Smith who was a great college QB. As a junior, he beat out soph Joey Harrington for the starting job, and played well enough to be a mid season nominee for the Davey O'Brien Award, given to the best college QB. He then hurt his elbow and was replaced by Harrington, who also played lights out. By the time Feeley was 100% again, Joey was firmly entrenched as the starter and in that circumstance, Head Coach Mike Bellotti chose to keep it that way and not even rotate QBs, like he did with Clemens and Fife this past season (a bad idea imo). He was also set back in 2000 spring two a days by a bad adominal muscle pull, so could never really challenge Harrington again. So as a senior Feeley sat for the most part.
But, anyone who thinks Feeley is not worth a 2nd round pick, or if you question his ability to become an NFL starter on a par with Matt Hasselbeck, you are thinking contrary to Ron Wolf, probably the foremost evaluator of QB talent currently associated with the NFL. Wolf approved of the move Speilman made by trading for Feeley. Do you think you know more about QBs than Ron Wolf?
I'm a Ducks fan, so maybe I'm biased in favor of Feeley. So...I'll think I'll just figure that Ron Wolf and Rick Speilman know just a little bit more about professional football talent evaluation than the naysayers here, and give them the benefit of the doubt. Take a wait and see approach as to how Feeley can do as a regular starter and if in a couple of years he hasn't done the job at a high level, then fans have a legitimate gripe.

I'm a believer in Feeley. He REALLY showed me something in those game tapes. He has my complete faith. I DO question his ease of transition now that we don't have Ricky or Boston, but I DO have faith that he is a good if not great QB waiting to happen, and that he'll be here for years to come. That said, I'm half expecting to suffer through a tough year with a young OL, a questionable running game, and our hot gun #2 WR out for the season. There WILL be growing pains, but just watch how he throws the ball and makes good reads.

What DOES bug me, are these "reports' of him dissing on the O. I don't know how true they are, it seems to me if the QB the dolphins brough in for hte starting job was ripping on the OC and the state of the offense it would have been a BIG story. However he's supposedly said some unflattering things...which is ok as long as he's not turning into a whiny demanding kid. that would irk me in the worst possible way.

Right now I see two options...

Trade for rivers, or stick with feeley :D I go feeley lol.

ABrownLamp said:
A few things...first, I don't have any explanation for the third string for three years stuff. I mean really, that does bother me. But I do have faith in RS. I think he did a great job this year in the draft and in the offseason.
Its way too early to say he did a great job. Just because word out of camp is all wonderful, does not mean anything. Its when they start playing the games is when jobs are won or lost. I can give you numerous times I've heard great news about a player only to see them cut or disappear once the games start.

ABrownLamp said:
I trust his judgment.
I don't yet.

ABrownLamp said:
And with the way he and the FO are dealing with OGun and RW leaving, I trust that they wouldn't have given up a second rounder if they didn't think he was worth it.
They were desperate and Philly used that against them. If they had so much conviction on Feeley then JF would be playing elsewhere now.

ABrownLamp said:
And that is my problem with you saying "So if Miami gets lucky then they got lucky." BS. This isn't a game of dice. There was serious research that went into attaining into this guy. It really isn't the consenus that he "isn't looking very good."
So they say. Frankly I think they panicked and needed a new guy to sell to the fans, but were not sure about him and then begged the man they are trying to replace to stick around.

ABrownLamp said:
Harrington was a year younger than Feeley. Feeley lost his job to Akli Smith and then Harrington leap over (Feeley) Harringtons junior year.

I would take Ramsey over anyone we currently have. Ramsey is tough as nails and has a big arm. He got the SH&T kicked out of him last year and he kept getting back up and kept coming back. That shows a lot about a player. I want that in a player!

MrClean said:
Thank you. This is exactly correct. Feeley as an underclassman was behind Akili Smith who was a great college QB.
Smith started one year. His senior year. He was a one year wonder.

MrClean said:
But, anyone who thinks Feeley is not worth a 2nd round pick, or if you question his ability to become an NFL starter on a par with Matt Hasselbeck, you are thinking contrary to Ron Wolf, probably the foremost evaluator of QB talent currently associated with the NFL. Wolf approved of the move Speilman made by trading for Feeley. Do you think you know more about QBs than Ron Wolf?
I'm so sick of hearing about how great Wolf and how we should suck his johnson because he liked Feeley. Would someone please tell me outside of the little run with GB where he traded for Favre and drafted Hasselbeck, Brunell, Brooks, just what other QB did Wolf find during his career. Steve Beuerlin folks is the only QB drafted that stuck by the Raiders from '78 to '89. And when he was with the Jets in '90 he draft Troy Taylor.

Also if he liked Feeley so much then why did GB not draft him in '01?

MrClean said:
I'm a Ducks fan, so maybe I'm biased in favor of Feeley. So...I'll think I'll just figure that Ron Wolf and Rick Speilman know just a little bit more about professional football talent evaluation than the naysayers here, and give them the benefit of the doubt.
I'm not saying Feeley will be a bad QB, but since when does a 3rd string QB cost a 2nd round pick and why couldn't he beat out Koy Detmer? Funny Feeley could not beat out Detmer, but Miami had no interest in him, yet give up a 2nd for Feeley.

MrClean said:
Take a wait and see approach as to how Feeley can do as a regular starter and if in a couple of years he hasn't done the job at a high level, then fans have a legitimate gripe.
A couple of years? He has been in the league for 3 year already. His time is now, not 2 years from now. If Miami gave up a 2nd for a QB 3 years from now, then that my friend is a stupid trade.

Dphins4me said:
Harrington was a year younger than Feeley. Feeley lost his job to Akli Smith and then Harrington leap over (Feeley) Harringtons junior year.

That's not correct. Feeley arrived at Oregon in 1997, along with JC transfer Akili Smith. Jason Maas also already happened to be there and ahead of him. Feeley never lost his job to either of them. To have lost the job to Smith would indicate he had it at one time ahead of him. In 1997, Smith shared time with Maas and freshman Feeley was 3rd string. In 1998, Smith was the full time starter and did not rotate with Maas any longer, who was then 2nd string. Feeley was #3 as a freshman and sophomore. He did not become a starter until both had left the program. Feeley became the starter in 1999 as a junior, competing with sophomore Harrington. Harrington became a starter as a sophomore around mid season due to Feeley injuries and kept the job until he left the program.

Back
Top Bottom