Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it

Maybe it could have had something to do with the fact that at the time of the combine Tua was still trying to figure out how to freaking walk again, much less how to throw a damn football.

Thats not true.

He was literally throwing and running at his pro-day a week after the combine.

Why do you guys make this stuff up??

Uh, what?

Tua was running and throwing at his pro-day which was like a week after the combine.

Nice try.

In all fairness -- the kid was definitely impacted by the injury. Only question is how much. And now that it's a few years down the line, and he's been working on core strength, the hip and better body rotation etc., it's reasonable to expect he's improved velocity since that video. That said, he's never gong to wow folks with his fast ball -- and he needs a bigger (more wide open) window to attack 20-30 yards down field. For now I'd like to think if he plays his best ball consistently and the new O maxs his strengths and manages his limits he'll be effective. Not spectacular. But efficiently effective -- and that means TDs and lots of points.

False, it was bascially most of the consensus top QB's from almost every draft class decided not to. even the likes of Matt Stafford did not participate.

Thats a lie.

In the last 5 drafts, only 5 out of 86 QB's at the combine did not test their arm strength.

Tua is one of the 5.

The other 81 did.

Oh I read enough. I read another Fins fan creating another post about how shi**y our quarterback is and Mr noodle arm is not the guy and if he had more velocity we would be better.

Why do you waste your time trying to prove to us that Tua is not good and we have the wrong guy?

I'm going to leave now and let all of you I hate my quarterback guys have a circle jerk together.
Sure cum and go…..🤣

I routinely see people on all forums (and this one is no exception) think that arm strength is how far a QB can throw the football down the field.

That is not correct. Its velocity.

For example, I've seen Chad Pennington complete a 60 yard pass (in the air) and he was one of the weaker arms in recent NFL history for a starter. Pennington's problem was velocity.

Here is the true formula for arm strength: How far a QB can throw the ball, when taking into consideration VELOCITY of the ball.

Pennington could throw it 60 yards, but there was no speed/zip with the ball. So it took a long time to get there and the ball kinda hung in the air. So what Pennington did was only throw long when he knew he had a good chance of completing it (meaning, the WR had steps on the DB, so the ball taking longer to get there wouldn't matter). Youll notice on many (notice I didnt say "all) of Tua's deep throws, he has a wide open guy or the guy has many steps on the DB. I think Tua is only throwing long in certain situations where you knows he can make it work - thus his small sample size.

This video below is the best comparison I could find of what i'm talking about. UNFORTUNATELY, it uses Josh Allen as one of the examples. I wish it used a different QB, like Rodgers, because people will think I purposefully picked it because of Allen, but I did NOT. It's just a really well done comparison showing how VELOCITY is what mattes with arm strength. Not distance. Not "deep throws".

PS, dont flame me. I think this is a fair discussion.

this is really lame.....we all freaking know that Josh Allen has a stronger arm, in fact Allen probably has the strongest in the NFL. Tua and Allen are two different QBs with different styles, Allen can make throws that Tua cant just like Tua can make more consistent throws that Allen struggles with. Heres a good video..

anyways just because a QB has a stronger arm with better velocity doesn't mean that QB is better overall. Was Marino better than Montana? Was Jay Cutler better than Brady?

Arm Strength isnt the end all be all in a QB. The most successful QB's in NFL history had mediocre arm strength and we had a QB with one of the greatest arms and he never won a super bowl.

this is really lame.....we all freaking know that Josh Allen has a stronger arm, in fact Allen probably has the strongest in the NFL. Tua and Allen are two different QBs with different styles, Allen can make throws that Tua cant just like Tua can make more consistent throws that Allen struggles with. Heres a good video..

The post is not about Allen in any way. Learn to read.

Thats not true.

He was literally throwing and running at his pro-day a week after the combine.

Why do you guys make this stuff up??

This wasn’t an Alabama pro day. This wasn’t the combine. This was just Tua showing he was rehabbing well.

This was posted in April. Alabama had their official pro day in March 2020.

No, he didn't. And yes, I'm pretty sure Tua was on crutches at the combine.

1) You're wrong. He wasn't.
2) A week later, at his pro-day he was running, doing bootlegs and throwing. The video is LITERALLY right below this.

You said he was on crutches.

He was literally running, bootlegging, and throwing.
That was not me that said that but yes someone did. He was running and throwing but was also still recovering from his broken hip. I think that is the reason for not testing. You make it sound like he chose to not test because he knew that he could not compete and did not want everyone to see his lack of talent.

This wasn’t an Alabama pro day. This wasn’t the combine. This was just Tua showing he was rehabbing well.

This was posted in April. Alabama had their official pro day in March 2020.

No one said it was Alabam's pro-day. It was Tua's pro-day.

Maybe a dumb question but I don’t give a fudge:

What physical component, other than overall strength, is responsible for velocity? Because it’s not just arm strength. There’s plenty of guys who are really strong who can’t throw with zip. And can guys who throw with low velocity work on whatever component to improve velocity?

That was not me that said that but yes someone did. He was running and throwing but was also still recovering from his broken hip. I think that is the reason for not testing. You make it sound like he chose to not test because he knew that he could not compete and did not want everyone to see his lack of talent.

Not lack of talent.

Tua has lots of talent. He is pinpoint accurate. Smart kid. Good brains.

The lack is in his arms strength and height.

Back
Top Bottom