Armando: Finding a QB is more important than victories | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Finding a QB is more important than victories

Geforce

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Dolphins in Depth:
Finding a QB is more important than victories

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/07/finding-a-qb-is.html
I would argue that finding a quarterback is Miami's most important task in 2008. I don't care if the team is 1-15 or 9-7. Regardless of the record, if the Dolphins come out of the season knowing they have identified the QB that will lead them the next 5-10 years, it will have been a successful season.

On the other hand, if the team improvement is considerable in other areas, resulting in a 9-7 record, but the quarterback situation is still unresolved at the end of the season, my take would be that the Dolphins didn't progress in the most important area.
Agree or disagree? What are you thoughts on this?

I would have to agree with that. Improvement as a team is great and very important but it would be nice to know by mid season that we have found that starting reliable guy.

I'm not asking any of them to be the next Dan the man but it sure would be nice.

if the team improvement is considerable in other areas, resulting in a 9-7 record, but the quarterback situation is still unresolved at the end of the season, my take would be that the Dolphins didn't progress in the most important area.

Wha...?

"The most important area" is wins and losses. Finding the next Dan Marino doesn't equal winning Super Bowls.

Just ask the last Dan Marino.

It's a team game, but without a solid and seasoned guy at the helm we won't be getting to the playoffs or out of the first round.

"Winning isn't everything.....it's the only thing"

All I have to type about that.

I agree with that statement as it is worded, the Quarterback is the single most important position on a football team, thats not to say the rest of the team is irrelevent at all, its just a statement of fact.

This coming season, I do think identifying the QB of the future is more important than a few more wins on ledger this year, the reason I state this is that it is virtually a foregone conclusion that this team will not make the playoffs.

To put it another way, if I had to choose between a 9-7 playoff less season this year where we still don't don't have a bonafide future QB, or a 6-10 season where we know at seasons end that Chad Henne or John Beck is a top starter in this league.......I'll take the latter.

I agree with that statement as it is worded, the Quarterback is the single most important position on a football team, thats not to say the rest of the team is irrelevent at all, its just a statement of fact.

This coming season, I do think identifying the QB of the future is more important than a few more wins on ledger this year, the reason I state this is that it is virtually a foregone conclusion that this team will not make the playoffs.

To put it another way, if I had to choose between a 9-7 playoff less season this year where we still don't don't have a bonafide future QB, or a 6-10 season where we know at seasons end that Chad Henne or John Beck is a top starter in this league.......I'll take the latter.
Well put; I couldn't agree more.

What I think is important to note is that I believe we have nice options at QB right now. John Beck is going to much better than last year. Remember guys he did come in as a 3rd string QB. Chad Henne will pick up the game quickly as he did in Michigan IMO.

One of these two guys is going to pan out. I think if this football team can come to work to work and be as prepared as humanly possible we'll win some games and find the next starting qb for the Miami Dolphins for years to come.

Agreed, which is why I don't get the McCown starter theory.

I don't really see how they could have a 9-7 season without one of these QB's at least showing a some promise for the future, but yeah if it had to be one or the other I would definitely pick the Qb

Agreed, which is why I don't get the McCown starter theory.

What if he's the best guy to do the job?

I know his history but what if the past is the past and he's the best guy?

Both Beck and Henne have pasts if one of them is the best person to play, he should play.

The theory I don't understand right now is all this He should start, NO he should start, junk that's going on around here.

I think we should wait till the end of Pre-season and then argue because then we all have seen what these three guys can do with and for this team. Until then it's all what's went on in the past.

What if he's the best guy to do the job?

I know his history but what if the past is the past and he's the best guy?

Both Beck and Henne have pasts if one of them is the best person to play, he should play.

The theory I don't understand right now is all this He should start, NO he should start, junk that's going on around here.

I think we should wait till the end of Pre-season and then argue because then we all have seen what these three guys can do with and for this team. Until then it's all what's went on in the past.

IF he plays head and shoulders above Beck or Henne then he should start, or if they both play so poorly we have no choice. We've seen him on bad teams for five years and he sucked on those teams. I can make an argument for Beck because last year was a really bad team playing almost all backups and third stringers. that couldn't have been the case with McClown. The only real scenario I see McCown starting is if we're are better than we think we are and both Beck and Henne play awful or are injured. By nearly chopping off his fingers 4 weeks prior to training camp, he already has shown me his lack of better judgement. I do agree with you on the pre-season thing.

Wha...?

"The most important area" is wins and losses. Finding the next Dan Marino doesn't equal winning Super Bowls.

Just ask the last Dan Marino.

And on the opposite end of that spectrum, ask Brad Johnson of the 2002 Bucs.

I understand his basic premise but he goes way overboard saying he doesn't care if it's 1-15. A 1-15 record in the NFL is almost impossible, given the access to the same talent pool.

We probably don't grasp how unlikely it is, since we pulled it off so effortlessly. I think the thread here the other day identified 5 examples in 17 or 18 years. That would equate to less than 1%.

And BTW, how could we be smug and comfy that we're set at the QB position for 5-10 years, after a second straight demoralizing 1-15 season? I'm trying to envision that correlation, and it's beyond fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom