Armando: Finding a QB is more important than victories | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Finding a QB is more important than victories

I understand his basic premise but he goes way overboard saying he doesn't care if it's 1-15. A 1-15 record in the NFL is almost impossible, given the access to the same talent pool.

We probably don't grasp how unlikely it is, since we pulled it off so effortlessly. I think the thread here the other day identified 5 examples in 17 or 18 years. That would equate to less than 1%.

And BTW, how could we be smug and comfy that we're set at the QB position for 5-10 years, after a second straight demoralizing 1-15 season? I'm trying to envision that correlation, and it's beyond fuzzy.
I think he was just exaggerating his point for effect. Obviously if we go 1-15 again we, as a franchise, are in big, big trouble. Expansion Tampa Bay Bucs type of trouble.

BP sez "you are what your record says you are", so I think he'll be trying to win a few games, but I also agree that finding a QB is top priority.

Finding a quarterback as an end unto itself is a fool's errand. The purpose of finding a franchise quarterback is to position your team to win.

Even winning games is merely the means by which to achieve the ultimate objective of winning a championship. If you win a championship with Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer (or Eli Manning or Earl Morrall), who cares? You won. If you win with Joe Montana or Tom Brady, you get style points to go with the Lombardi trophy. But you still got the trophy.

But if you lose with Randall Cunningham or Dan Marino, you still lost. Yes, you may have filled the seats and have a team "face." Yes, you may have won some games and maybe even a few playoff games. But if the goal is a championship, losing with style is failure.

So the question becomes, is the objective to fill the seats and win a few games in style or is the objective to win championships?

Were I a Dolphins' fan, I know which way I'd lean. And the general sense I've gotten from Dolphin fans over the years is that they'd choose the early-'70's team over the Dan Marino-led '80's/'90's teams any day. Why? The former won a championship; the latter was merely fun. Sort of like the difference beteween eating a steak dinner and eating a doughnut. Both may taste good but only one will sustain you*.

Finding a quarterback is a means to an end. In Miami, that end is championships. The franchise standard is perfection and they've proven you don't have to have a Maserati Quattroporte to achieve this. A well-tuned and efficiently running Impala will do the job just fine.

* For any Bills' fans reading, I'm referring to the steak dinnner. Doughnuts will not sustain you. Jes' sayin'.

Nice post Joe. I think wins are at least as important as QB. Winning will breed confidence. Winning breeds togetherness, builds team work, builds that little extra a player can give because they have "tasted success". You know the saying "happy cows make better milk". More important then just "finding a QB" is finding the cohesiveness that makes a team, and makes a group of perhaps less talented players over achieve. Thats what I would like to find this year.

IMO Eli Manning is not better than half of the QBs playing in the NFL, he played great the last games but so did Fiedler against the cowboys on thanksgiving, I believe that NOW we have talent all over the field, OL, DL, LB, RB, DB, even TEs I truely believe that we are on the right track..

you only have to look back as far as Parcell's last reclomation project to see that we don't necessarily have to see our QB problems solved this year to be on the right path.

Quincy Carter was the the first guy there (2nd round pick btw)....didn't work so he went to Bledsoe, Drew Henson was thought to maybe be the future (michigan guy btw) all the while Romo was being groomed in a no pressure situation.

A lot of things have to come together for a team to be successful, and if I had the choice of seeing 5 things come together, but not the QB situation, OR only the QB situation coming together.....I still want to see 5 things. Then, the next heir apparent at QB has a better chance to succeed.

if we find a qb the wins will come. hopefully we have one on the roster.

most teams that have bad qb play don't have many wins.

I belive finding a qb now will translate to long term wins. Look at da bears, their a great team without a qb and look where they are.

I belive finding a qb now will translate to long term wins. Look at da bears, their a great team without a qb and look where they are.

and look at the Bengals.....they have a great QB and they still suck. You need a lot more than just a great QB to win in the NFL.

and look at the Bengals.....they have a great QB and they still suck. You need a lot more than just a great QB to win in the NFL.

true. what you really need is a little bit of everything. but qb play is paramount for lasting success.

pop warner teams could move the ball on the bengals d last year it seemed

true. what you really need is a little bit of everything. but qb play is paramount for lasting success.

pop warner teams could move the ball on the bengals d last year it seemed

I'll never argure that it's the most important position on the field......but it's also still just one position.

When I see an argument like Armando's....it just makes me shake my head. Think about it, if we can be a 9 win team w/ spotty qb play, that says to me that we got really good play from a lot of other areas. Did the O-Line gel and now we 5 solid young starters? did Ricky and ronnie light it up? Did Ginn prove worth his high draft spot? Did the defense learn how to stop the run? Did we find some solid starters in the secondary? If we're a 9 win team this year, then a lot of those answers would have to be yes. and I wouldn't trade most of that for just a solid QB. Because if we get all of that going for us....a lot of QB's would find success when put into that situation.

I'll never argure that it's the most important position on the field......but it's also still just one position.

When I see an argument like Armando's....it just makes me shake my head. Think about it, if we can be a 9 win team w/ spotty qb play, that says to me that we got really good play from a lot of other areas. Did the O-Line gel and now we 5 solid young starters? did Ricky and ronnie light it up? Did Ginn prove worth his high draft spot? Did the defense learn how to stop the run? Did we find some solid starters in the secondary? If we're a 9 win team this year, then a lot of those answers would have to be yes. and I wouldn't trade most of that for just a solid QB. Because if we get all of that going for us....a lot of QB's would find success when put into that situation.

totally agree. be nice to have that and the qb play though. i'm pretty sure just about all the playoff teams last year had solid qbs under center.

b/t i like the jake long banner. nicely done.

We won 9 games with Gus Frerotte and see where that got us. The consistent winning teams are the teams with good quarterbacks.

Back
Top Bottom