Armando Fins should have over spent (if we did then he would say we spent to much) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Fins should have over spent (if we did then he would say we spent to much)

Rhoadsy13

Starter
Reaction score
It's a lose lose for the Fins if we would have over spent then there would be an article today how we over spent oh wait Beasley did write an article about how much we spent. I don't understand the love for Crroll he spent years getting burned & played better last year & now all of sudden they talk about him like he is a pro bowler, obviously therest of the NFL felt the same way as fins when he gets a 2 yr 3.65 deal to be most likely the 3rd CB.

"Me? I would have paid — and, yes, overpaid — for Beadles and Howard to go along with Albert. The left side of my line would today be very expensive but also be set for the next half-decade while center Mike Pouncey and Howard at right tackle could insulate a coming rookie at right guard.

I saw the Dolphins give up a league-high 58 sacks and last season. I saw precious few holes for the running game. I would have fixed that line by signing the three best available free agents the first week of free agency before other teams scooped them up.

And I would have gladly paid for it.

Your colleague B Jackson felt different: Bronco Zane Beadles (Miami made a good offer, but Jacksonville bid more at five years, $30 million).

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...n-their-radar-heat-marlins.html#storylink=cpy

But that’s not the Miami way. The Dolphins didn’t want to overspend. They wanted value.........

Going for value, the Dolphins also let known quantity Nolan Carroll hit free agency — without a contract offer, the player told me. Carroll had four teams interested and wound up signing with the Eagles for two years and $3.65 million.

So the player who started 22 games for Miami over the past two years — more than any other corner during that time — wasn’t worth $1.85 million a year?"

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/16/3997349/armando-salguero-miami-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

I'm for not overspending in FA, so I think we've struck the right balance. We resigned Starks, and to me, that was huge. Pouncey is here, and we secured the LT position, those were the major things. We upraded at corner with a vet, with a couple of rookies in the wings. If they don't want Carroll, I'm fine with that, he had a rare good year, but historically he's been awful and I'm glad he's finally gone.

We're going into a deep draft, and we have only 2 empty spots on the line, plus we have Garner, Thomas and Brenner.

I liked our approach this year. We were smart not to overspend. IMO, Carrol was always the corner who got picked on (and as a result got burned), Beadles and Howard are a little above average (if that) and i'm not going to overspend for average play. And we also have to think about extending Odrick and Pouncey at some point.

I wish finheaven would come up with a name when people posting Armando, like what happens with Sanchez.

This article is exhibit 1A as to why Armondo should stick to reporting the facts instead of stating his opinion. Paying players more than their value is what gets you in cap trouble down the road. This also be a very bad year to overpay linemen with how deep the draft is. And one more point, what happens when they need to resign Tannehill and they have no cap space? You end up gutting the rest of the roster which causes liabilities down the road. Armondo is just doing what he does best, creating hysteria.

This article is exhibit 1A as to why Armondo should stick to reporting the facts instead of stating his opinion. Paying players more than their value is what gets you in cap trouble down the road. This also be a very bad year to overpay linemen with how deep the draft is. And one more point, what happens when they need to resign Tannehill and they have no cap space? You end up gutting the rest of the roster which causes liabilities down the road. Armondo is just doing what he does best, creating hysteria.

I posted about the same a couple of days ago as Mando within reason. I believed that coming into FA Asamoah, Schwartz, Beadles, and Saffold were worth in the $5M a year range. Beadles was to much at $6M but, Asamoah at $4.5M and Schwartz at $4.2M were worth going higher for. Saffold is debatable at $6M but, not as a RT. IF we could have just added Asamoah for $5M to go with Albert and Smith, I would be very happy right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how he played the market (outside of Albert which was smart to "overpay" to get the best LT available). There is still time to add players…a ton of time.

I like how he played the market (outside of Albert which was smart to "overpay" to get the best LT available). There is still time to add players…a ton of time.

They wanted Albert though so I understand the overpay there. With him it wasn't about the market and get the best price player they wanted Albert period.

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD

If Carroll was willing to resign for the same price he's getting from Philly, I agree that Miami should have resigned him. I disagree that we shouldn't have signed Finnegan, and I disagree with his general premise that we should be in a panic to sign O-linemen.

Last year Miami spent the most money on free agents. They were blasted for "overpaying", being "desperate" and we were constantly reminded about the failed spending sprees of the Redskins and Eagles in the past.

This year the Dolphins still spend money, but nowhere near as much as last season. Now they are being blasted for letting some top free agents sign elsewhere and basically called "cheap" by people like Armando. Unbelievable.

Does anyone find it interesting that the teams like Tampa Bay and Denver who are going crazy in free agency with massive contracts and either considered rebuilding the right way or "going all in". The theme of spending big in free agency being a mistake doesn't seem to exist this season. Wonder why......

Talk of spending more money needs to consider our standard practice of signing FAs with a low year one cap hit that goes up on year two. This year, the Grimes and Albert contracts are structured that way. Their combined cap hit is about 8m this year, and about 20m next year. That's 14m less cap money next year, all things being equal.

Some have expressed a dislike for that strategy, but it's a sound one as long as you roll money over to next year to cover for the increase. What does it do for you? It gives you flexibility in case a player becomes available unexpectedly. Also, you never really know how much the cap will grow from year to year. If it goes up unexpectedly, like it did this year, it absorbs a lot of the hit. On the other hand, it creates the illusion you have more cap space than you can really afford to use since, remember, you need to roll money over to cover your butt. Take Wallace. He had a 3m hit las year and 17m this year. Same 14m difference we mentioned with Grimes/Albert. But we rolled some money over and the cap grew, and voila, we're golden.

In short, don't expect the Dolphins to exhaust their cap space, unless a great opportunity comes up. We still have room for a couple of moves, though.

Last year Miami spent the most money on free agents. They were blasted for "overpaying", being "desperate" and we were constantly reminded about the failed spending sprees of the Redskins and Eagles in the past.

This year the Dolphins still spend money, but nowhere near as much as last season. Now they are being blasted for letting some top free agents sign elsewhere and basically called "cheap" by people like Armando. Unbelievable.

Does anyone find it interesting that the teams like Tampa Bay and Denver who are going crazy in free agency with massive contracts and either considered rebuilding the right way or "going all in". The theme of spending big in free agency being a mistake doesn't seem to exist this season. Wonder why......

Denver and the Pats are going after a title. Other teams MUST spend 90% of the salary cap over 4 years, and this was not the case prior to the new CBA. The price of poker went up.

Back
Top Bottom