Armando Fins should have over spent (if we did then he would say we spent to much) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Fins should have over spent (if we did then he would say we spent to much)

The article is using a very far fetched example which HS kids using basic math can avoid, and will never even remotely come close to happening. The rollovers are all calculated by team projecting their needs and cap space over the next two years, and what they want to do with it.

Do you really think any NFL team, in a billion dollar industry, does not know what is coming?

Thanks for making my point. Do they have an idea what is coming? Yes. But they don't know exactly, so they have to plan for every contingency. Which is why if they plan on having to resign Tannehill to franchise QB money, in either of their next two off seasons, they can't blow all of their cap now on long term contracts for the linemen that Armando is complaining about. Signing players to long term deals, with prorated bonuses against the cap, and then releasing them before they expire is about the worst thing you can do for your cap. This is exactly what the FO is protecting themselves against.

Yeah but we are fans, we don't get paid.

Plus we ALL want the Dolphins to do WELL.

I have to question "ALL" want that. The forum seems to be twice as active complaining than praising anyone with anything to do with the Dolphins.

Thanks for making my point. Do they have an idea what is coming? Yes. But they don't know exactly, so they have to plan for every contingency. Which is why if they plan on having to resign Tannehill to franchise QB money, in either of their next two off seasons, they can't blow all of their cap now on long term contracts for the linemen that Armando is complaining about. Signing players to long term deals, with prorated bonuses against the cap, and then releasing them before they expire is about the worst thing you can do for your cap. This is exactly what the FO is protecting themselves against.

Forget Tannehill for now. He has a ways to go for a big contract. That is not a concern this year but, next year.

You can't win with the local media. Anyone who is any good either gets switched to basketball or college, or leaves for a better job in a different market. I like Barry Jackson, but we're his side bit these days as he concentrates on the Heat and Hurricanes. Chris Perkins is OK, but he doesn't seem to get much exposure. Armando is 75% haterade scandelocity and 25% reporting. Omar Kelly is only good for his pre-season tweats, otherwise he up Armando's game to 95% haterade and agenda and 5% pure making stuff up. I like Hyde's attitude, but he's utterly clueless about football. The best thing he ever did was invite Boomer and CK to help him with some insight.

As to this offseason, I see it as a mixed bag. Re-signing Grimes was huge. Great job Hickey and Aponte. We got one of the premier pass protecting LT's, so I'll count that as a checked box. I am disappointed we took the oldest and least durable of the 3 who also happens to be the worst run blocker. I mean, the guy already lived in downtown Miami ... I'm not quite sure why we paid a huge premium with Monoe and Veldheer ticking all those boxes with more youth and durability who signed for much less. We could have had one of them and a RG for that money. But, overall I'm happy with Branden Albert, so it's still a win addressing THE position of need.

I'm working through the Shelley signing. If he is a backup with potential and an impact substitution on obvious running downs, then it makes sense. I would have preferred a full time blocker who excelled at pass protection since passing is what we primarily do ... and we have no blocking TE worth a darn. We took a flyer on Finnegan, and if he doesn't work out there appears to be little cap impact on cutting him. If h does, he has good upside, so I'm ok with that. We have the two young CB's behind him and he may be insurance more than anything. Do we still have Mike Thomas on the roster as well?

Resigning Starks was a very good deal. We gambled and got him cheap ... kudos, but that same gambling cost us Soliai, and I'm definitely not sold on Mitchell as his replacement. Now we have all gap penetrators and no true NT to command a double team. Our run game is going to suffer. Mitchell's run numbers were masked by all the double-teams JJ Watt commanded, freeing Mitchell up to gap penetrate. He will not have that luxury here, as he's the one supposed to be eating those double teams.

So all in all, it's a mixed bag ... so far. Hopefully, either we find more OL help in free agency, or we concentrate on OL in the draft. We still have a lot ahead of us, but thankfully we also have lot of time and resources left.

Section 6: 15 (v) of the CBA

I don't think teams are allowed to rollover, rollover. So if the phins plan on rolling over next year I think they'll have to stay under 133 mill this year and we are close to that already. If this is the case we will have substantially less to spend next year. I think the phins might sign front loaded extensions for odrick and pounce this year to free up money next year but that would mean less money for free agent signings this year. The bottom line is you can play with the cap but you can't beat it. We need quality low wage player in the draft to stay competitive.

There is nothing in the new CBA that prevents teams from rolling over unused salary cap from one year to the next.
(v) Carrying Over Room. A Club may “carry over” Room from one League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the start of the next League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall promptly provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLPA. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation

NFL Salary Cap...Explained!

You can't just roll money to the next year and think there won't be consequences down the road. The Fins already spent more money last year than the cap ceiling. Rolling your cap will catch up at some point. Here's a great article describing how it works.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1956430-the-art-of-navigating-the-nfl-salary-cap

I think I would rather rely on someone who has actually worked on the salary cap for an actual NFL team like Andrew Brandt.
The official NFL team salary cap number for 2014, which will be announced next week, is expected to be somewhere between $130-133 million. If so, it would mark the first time the number has exceeded the 2009 threshold of $128 million.

That, however, is not really “the number.” Each NFL team has an adjusted cap number modified due to: 1) cap room carryover from the previous year—a new feature of the 2011 CBA; and 2) netting out of the previous year’s earned unlikely incentives and unearned likely incentives (yes, it’s complicated). Thus, while every team theoretically will be operating under, say, a $130 million cap, no team actually will have a cap number of exactly $130 million.

Further, the announced cap number applies to negotiable dollars for player contracts, not pre-negotiated benefits that are a growing part of the CBA—health and pension benefits, the player performance pool, the minimum salary benefit, etc. With those secured benefits as part of the cap, the true 2014 cap number might be closer to $150 million.
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/26/nfl-salary-cap-explained/

Back
Top Bottom