Armando - "Fins want to “kill” 2017 draft" - didn't seem to do it in 2016 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando - "Fins want to “kill” 2017 draft" - didn't seem to do it in 2016

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The path the Dolphins picked this offseason is to keep as many of their own players as they could. It was a departure from what happened even as late as the 2016 offseason.
But that approach of growing your own talent and sprinkling in key free agents here and there to round out the roster is dependent on the ability to not just draft well but to “kill the draft.”
That’s what the Dolphins hope to do starting April 27.

The Dolphins got steady production out of one draft pick -- the first-rounder. Everyone else was hit-and-miss, or often injured, or needing honing, or inactive, or not likely to stick around.

Obviously what happens in 2017 and perhaps a couple of years beyond will determine what final grade this draft gets. But safe to say so far the Dolphins didn’t kill the 2016 draft.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article144102259.html#storylink=cpy

Personally - aside from Tunsil which was pure luck, Last years draft and free agency was pretty underwhelming. (I like Howard, but the guy who handpicked him is gone) But what do you expect when you just keep the same front office scouts and execs from the past ten years and add Mikey T into the mix? Sure hope this is the year they magically learn to scout :idk:

Oh and vile Carroo trade? Actually makes their job this year harder...so no pressure guys

Shouldn't be to hard. They " kill" almost every draft. When was the last time we've had a great draft

In the sixth round the Dolphins picked receiver Jakeem Grant with the 186th overall selection. And there was a lot of noise made about how fast the 5-7 Grant was and how that would be an asset on both offense and special teams. Didn’t happen. Grant had a 74-yard punt return touchdown against Buffalo and that was his highlight moment for the season. Although the team wanted to use packages on offense for Grant to get him in space, it never really panned out. Grant didn’t catch a pass all season. He also struggled at time catching punts -- perhaps because he’d never done it before. Look, I’m not going to ding a sixth-round pick for not being a huge factor in his team’s success his rookie year. But the hope and buzz about Grant was far beyond the actual output. As with the second and third round picks, Grant needs to improve in 2017.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article144102259.html#storylink=cpy

That was against the Titans actually.

I think Tunsil, drake, Howard and Carroo will all be contributors from the 2016 draft. Grant possibly as well. The 17 draft is gonna be insane for us. Fins up! Jets suck!

I think Tunsil, drake, Howard and Carroo will all be contributors from the 2016 draft. Grant possibly as well. The 17 draft is gonna be insane for us. Fins up! Jets suck!

Grant catch a ball to save his life and Carroo cant even get active. Not promising

I really like what I saw from Howard, especially considering the rough circumstances he had coming in as a rookie. But yeah, we gotta hit a dinger this year.

Tunsil, Howard, Drake..Yes Drake when given the chance made plays. Running and returning.

3 instant contributors that were drafted last year, that's what is called a good/great draft.

I liked the free agent approach to sign players who have contributed to the team. This takes a lot of guess work out of free agency where there are a lot of hit and misses.

Miami should be able to get 2-3 starters out of this draft. Obviously, it comes down to picking the right players. Interesting to see who will fall to #22. Some teams are going to reach for quarterbacks. Will that be before the Dolphins pick or around that spot?

What gets me is that this year is the deepest CB and RB draft in recent memory and they took both those spots last year ALONG WITH a WR that wasn't a need.

I know RB was a question and we needed a CB but still....were they that shocked by Ajayi? They also misjudged Jamar Taylor.

the dolphins want to "kill the draft"?

the same could be said about every team, every year, for every sport, ever.

Back
Top Bottom