Armando - "Fins want to “kill” 2017 draft" - didn't seem to do it in 2016 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando - "Fins want to “kill” 2017 draft" - didn't seem to do it in 2016

hoops said:
yeah but if howard and tunsil are actual difference makers the rest of that class won't matter

of course when I say difference makers I mean legit #1 corners top 10 at their position types

Do you really mean this?

yeah but if howard and tunsil are actual difference makers the rest of that class won't matter

of course when I say difference makers I mean legit #1 corners top 10 at their position types

Some truth to that. Superstar player > multiple starters

What we need this year are DOGS. We only have a few as of now. Landry & Ajayi on offense. Pouncey could be if he stays healthy and Tunsil should be a DOG for many years. I'm hoping Parker can be in his 3rd year.

On defense it's Wake, Jones, Suh and now Timmons (although he is getting to be an old dog). We need Howard to be another.

dude you've killed it in a draft if you end up with two top 10 at their position long term fits...you can get excited or over anxious about 2 deep upside talents later in the draft and special teams career types but you pull two top 10ers you've done well

it's kinda like if you pull a franchise qb in a draft...nothing else matters and the grades an a regardless

I'm not saying you throw in the towel on the rest of the draft obviously

And to Tannenbaum's credit, he has found more star players in the draft from 06-12 than anyone from Miami has since the 90's.

Gotta agree with hoops.

Getting top notch talent trumps depth. You come out with 2 bonafide stars you've hit the draft out the park.

Tunsil has a shot as he was in the discussion for best player in the draft. Howard has his work cut out for him to be a top 10 corner in this league. Especially as a 2nd round pick. Lots of talent out there at corner.

Tunsil has a shot as he was in the discussion for best player in the draft. Howard has his work cut out for him to be a top 10 corner in this league. Especially as a 2nd round pick. Lots of talent out there at corner.

yeah tunsil is probably your best shot at top 10 in house...he looks the part of a franchise left tackle...howard might be more the 1b type but I don't know...he missed a ton of time started as a rookie which is hard as heck at the pro level and all things considering flashed some pretty damn good talent

dvp is probably the other one but this year i'll be frustrated if he doesn't take it up to the 1200 and 8 mark...

Just a technical point. Top 10 at QB means 10 of 32. Top 10 at CB means 10 of 64. Not the same thing. I'm guessing "top 10" is roughly "top third."

I'd rather have one Richmond Webb and one Keith Sims than four or five Dwight Hollier's, or Dion Sims, or Brian Hartlines.

hoops said:
dude you've killed it in a draft if you end up with two top 10 at their position long term fits...you can get excited or over anxious about 2 deep upside talents later in the draft and special teams career types but you pull two top 10ers you've done well

it's kinda like if you pull a franchise qb in a draft...nothing else matters and the grades an a regardless

I'm not saying you throw in the towel on the rest of the draft obviously

Let's say that Tunsil and Howard turn out to be top 10 performers in the league this season...but Ajayi goes down for the season. Are we going to trust the 9th ranked back (Kenyon Drake) of the 2016 draft, and our first 3rd round pick, to carry us to the playoffs?

I'm not...and to me, this make the draft unsuccessful (among other things), no matter IF our first two turn out to be successes.

I think Tunsil, drake, Howard and Carroo will all be contributors from the 2016 draft. Grant possibly as well. The 17 draft is gonna be insane for us. Fins up! Jets suck!

We don't lose games because we lack contributors. We lose games because we lack stars.

At one point in time people on here took solace in the fact that we drafted "starters". But those starters were Brian Hartline and Dallas Thomas. Which said far more about the quality of our roster than the quality of those players. Same **** here. Ja'waun James has contributed more to this team than Marc Colombo. But i'd still rather have Brandin Cooks or Kelvin Benjamin.

If we want to "kill it" then we need to start landing some real talent in the draft.

We don't lose games because we lack contributors. We lose games because we lack stars. At one point in time people on here took solace in the fact that we drafted "starters". But those starters were Brian Hartline and Dallas Thomas. Which said far more about the quality of our roster than the quality of those players. Same **** here. Ja'waun James has contributed more to this team than Marc Colombo. But i'd still rather have Brandin Cooks or Kelvin Benjamin. If we want to "kill it" then we need to start landing some real talent in the draft.
Admittedly, with rose-colored glasses in place, Miami DOES have stars. Pouncey, Tunsil, Landry, Ajayi, with Parkers/Stills/Tannehill debatable. On D, Suh, Wake, Howard, Jones. Yes, I know about age and injury hx, As I said last fall, top teams don't have a lot of stars. They have NO bottom-third-of-NFL starters. Yeah, I'd like a roster full of JJ Watts, Julio Jones, and Richard Shermans, but those teams don't exist. A few stars, a lot of average players, and good coaching. Those are winning teams.

Back
Top Bottom