Armando - "Fins want to “kill” 2017 draft" - didn't seem to do it in 2016 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando - "Fins want to “kill” 2017 draft" - didn't seem to do it in 2016

We don't lose games because we lack contributors. We lose games because we lack stars.

At one point in time people on here took solace in the fact that we drafted "starters". But those starters were Brian Hartline and Dallas Thomas. Which said far more about the quality of our roster than the quality of those players. Same **** here. Ja'waun James has contributed more to this team than Marc Colombo. But i'd still rather have Brandin Cooks or Kelvin Benjamin.

If we want to "kill it" then we need to start landing some real talent in the draft.

The reason people took solace in drafting starters is because our previous incompetent FO kept unnecessarily churning the roster and leaving holes before the draft that we HAD to fill.

For all the Jet-hate-fuelled abuse Tannenbaum gets and the scepticism toward Grier from being in the setup for years, these guys are doing the opposite. Not churning the roster, resigning guys who fit and work hard, signing value FAs to fill holes pre-draft... this is the stuff we've been waiting for from an FO for years.

On the negative side, I really didn't like last year's draft. The Tunsil/Maxwell/Alonso package was a slam dunk, but thereon it was really not great. Howard and Carroo are talented guys, but did they merit tradeups? Drake was a Gase pick that was a total luxury splurge. He's a lucky boy that Ajayi burst out and he better hope that teams don't figure out our relatively simple run schemes that spring Ajayi free next season. Drake is a total headscratcher for me. Everything after that was just awful. Grant, Lucas, Duarte.... ugh. I believe you should always look to take a late QB and see what you have so I can't knock the Doughty pick, albeit he's unlikely to be the guy.

So, we've set ourselves up really well NOT to have to take high floor, low ceiling JAGs. But based on last year (which is an admittedly small sample), there's a chance this FO will underperform again. Looking at their visits list, a draft of Charlton, Feeney, Rudy Ford for example would be a huge swing and a miss. There are some mouthwatering combos on their visit list too and we can only hope they go more in that direction. The trick this year isn't finding the very good player, it's finding the elite player among all the very good ones.

normaniii said:
I didn't dislike last year's players drafted. Thu big mistake IMO was the Caroo trade considering how much talent is in this year's draft.

I dislike last year's draft. With the exception of Tunsil falling into our laps, every other pick was either a swing and a miss, or warning track power. It was supposed to be a draft to help the offense...again, thank goodness for Tunsil.

Howard...potential, but to give up a fourth rounder for him?

Drake...our 3rd round, special team's ace who never started a game at Bama.

Carroo...'nuff said. I'm about to make his name a verb, "When you over value and overpay for an item you've effectively 'Carroo'ed' yourself."

Grant...has never met a crucial fumble of a punt that he didn't like

Lucas...I don't think I've even seen him play this year, and I watched every game.

Duarte'...who?

Doughty...he's one draft way from ironing his suits and going on real world job interviews.

I dislike last year's draft. With the exception of Tunsil falling into our laps, every other pick was either a swing and a miss, or warning track power. It was supposed to be a draft to help the offense...again, thank goodness for Tunsil.

Carroo...'nuff said. I'm about to make his name a verb, "When you over value and overpay for an item you've effectively 'Carroo'ed' yourself."

Lucas...I don't think I've even seen him play this year, and I watched every game.

Duarte'...who?

Doughty...he's one draft way from ironing his suits and going on real world job interviews.

agreed that without tunsil last year our draft would've been a bust - but if howard comes into form this year the 4th rounder will be well spent.....

drafting is and has been a big issue for us year in year out

yeah tunsil is probably your best shot at top 10 in house...he looks the part of a franchise left tackle...howard might be more the 1b type but I don't know...he missed a ton of time started as a rookie which is hard as heck at the pro level and all things considering flashed some pretty damn good talent

dvp is probably the other one but this year i'll be frustrated if he doesn't take it up to the 1200 and 8 mark...
Spot on once again hoops.

I do have faith that both X. Howard and DVP have the talent to be topb10 at their positions. I'm a big fan of both. But, at this point in time, I'm seeing the necessary work ethic in Howard to get there and hoping, like you, that Parker finds the total all-consuming drive to be great that Landry and Wake possess.

It's all there for the kid, and if he stays healthy he could get there relatively easily. Without a strong TE solution (I have no faith in Julius Thomas' health or work ethic, and Fasano is near the sunset of hisncarerr), I think Gase is banking on DVP.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Look at the 06 draft with Mike T. He drafted D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold @ 4 & 29. The rest of the draft was mediocre or poor but no one cares because of the quality of those players. He also drafted a role playing RB in Leon Washington who turned into a pretty good player in that role. Similar to what Drake will likely be.

You can also look at 07 when he ended up with only 4 picks in the draft. He landed a HOF CB in Revis as well as David Harris. No one really cares about the missing picks when you have a HOF'er.

The rest of his drafts were huge whiffs with the exception of Sheldon Richardson and Matt Slauson and maybe Dustin Keller.

I really like what I saw from Howard, especially considering the rough circumstances he had coming in as a rookie. But yeah, we gotta hit a dinger this year.

Ya Howard does look like a legit NFL starting corner. I cannot wait til next year to see him healthy with a year under his belt. I still would love to draft a couple Dbs.

I agree with the thoughts that as long as you get 2 stars from a draft, you can consider that a good draft. Tunsil and Howard are just that

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Duarte'...who?

well to be fair how often do 6ths and 7ths work out? that's what Grant, Lucas and Doughtry are I believe. Lucas has good potential though, keep an eye on him in camp

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article144102259.html#storylink=cpy

Personally - aside from Tunsil which was pure luck, Last years draft and free agency was pretty underwhelming. (I like Howard, but the guy who handpicked him is gone) But what do you expect when you just keep the same front office scouts and execs from the past ten years and add Mikey T into the mix? Sure hope this is the year they magically learn to scout :idk:

Oh and vile Carroo trade? Actually makes their job this year harder...so no pressure guys

So when they draft Tunsil its pure luck, but when they strike out with Dion Jordan its not bad luck, its incompetence.
Can't have it both ways. Tunsil was a projected top 3 pick. 8 teams passed on him until the Phins. That's not luck, that's preparedness. I'm sick and tired of the pessimists referring to the Tunsil pick as "pure luck".

Caroo pick will turn out to be a blessing if the FO can learn from its mistakes. I'd say he will finally wake up and play to the potential that he has. FO will be cautious about future picks and how much to risk.

I wasn't aware that a player's career epitaph was written after his rookie season. This entire thread is premature and foolish, as are some of the posts.

Armando - "Fins want to “kill” 2017 draft" - didn't seem to do it in 2016

We don't lose games because we lack contributors. We lose games because we lack stars.

At one point in time people on here took solace in the fact that we drafted "starters". But those starters were Brian Hartline and Dallas Thomas. Which said far more about the quality of our roster than the quality of those players. Same **** here. Ja'waun James has contributed more to this team than Marc Colombo. But i'd still rather have Brandin Cooks or Kelvin Benjamin.

If we want to "kill it" then we need to start landing some real talent in the draft.

Well said. That's why I want Njoku. The last dynamic TE the Dolphins had is Keith Jackson. It's been that long. A dual and sometimes triple TE threat would make this offense very dangerous.

According to the draft value chart, it would take roughly 300 points to move into the mid first round. As much as I hate giving up draft picks, I'd be willing to give up a 2nd to move up. A 2nd looks fair according to the chart.

If Njoku is tearing it up for the Dolphins, no one will care that we gave up a 2nd rounder for him.

Back
Top Bottom