ARMANDO: Lack of star coaches makes Ross decision understandable | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ARMANDO: Lack of star coaches makes Ross decision understandable

One other fallacy with this line of thought: What do you do if you are 8-8 again next year yet deem the head coaching pool to not be that deep? Do you bring Philbin back again? How many years to you allow that to continue? How many years do you settle?

When is the pool of perspective top head coaching candidates ever deep, anyway? It's not like the best grow on trees.

Those guys are out there. You either have to find them or you have to compete for them. Philbin's track record isn't that hard to at least equal. By saying basically there are around four decent candidates out there (and what, like a half-doze openings) but you are worried you might do worse if you part ways with Philbin, in effect what Ross is saying is he isn't confident he could find or land any of the guys that are better. That's sad, IMO.

Armando can go **** himself for saying if we don't like the head coach then we should find another team. Seriously, get ****ed. As for the rest of that pathetic blog post its clear he just wants to climb back into bed with Philbin so he'll feed him some scoops, this is bull**** propaganda from a blowhard.

I hear people saying we are tired of being middle of the road? When have we been middle of the road except recently? I know our record from years/coaches past may hint a being mediocre but we all know that the team itself was really worse than that. This team has been bottom tier for more than a decade.

At least now we are truthfully talking about being middle of the road which should be seen an improvement.

I am frustrated as anyone else that this team hasn't gone anywhere since Marino retired but the all the coaches and GMs that have been hired in the past really did make a terrible mess of this team. I believe Philbin/Hickey/Lazor have done a commendable job trying to turn things around. Have all of their coaching and personnel decisions been perfect? No. But I actually see potential in what they are building.

I am hoping that if they can get some quality depth and avoid the injury bug next season that the season will have better results.

Does anyone think Lazor might figure in to Ross's calculation in all of this?

By keeping Philbin, Lazor gets another year as OC. If the Offense keeps improving, but the team doesn't, Ross can fire Phlibin and have the option of moving Lazor to HC if there's no better available.

Armando's latest blog post:

Cowboys 8-8 not in same universe as Dolphins 8-8

A reasoned perspective free of over-reaction is important in the management of an NFL team and perhaps that's the reason multiple people within the Miami Dolphins organization let me know Monday they appreciate me sharing this perspective on why owner Stephen Ross not making a head coaching change after the 2014 season was understandable.

Good.

But, a reasoned perspective free of inaction is also important and for that reason today I address the folks riding the pendulum that's swinging wildly in the opposite direction -- those saying no change at all is warranted. I heard from a Dolphins person in that circle Monday (love you, bro, but you know I don't agree) and he used the Dallas Cowboys as an example of why continuity is the right way for Ross and his Dolphins to go now.

The narrative I heard is that just as the Dallas Cowboys stayed the course after three consecutive 8-8 seasons in 2011, 2012, and 2013, the Dolphins are so far staying the course after consecutive 8-8 seasons in 2013 and 2014. And, the narrative continues, just as the Cowboys were rewarded for their patience and perseverance with a 12-4 season in 2014 and playoff win two days ago, the Dolphins could be on the road to much regular-season success and perhaps a playoff berth in 2015.

And that is exactly wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...8-not-same-as-dolphins-8-8.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it takes a bold move to be great. Lack of "star names" is not enough of a reason. In fact, most "star names" do not work out (Pete Carroll excluded).

Anyone remember a guy named Mike Tomlin? Yeah, Miami passed on that guy. How did he end up doing as a head coach? Something tells me a guy like Todd Bowles could be then next Tomlin.

Dare to be great, Stephen Ross.

Sad article. Incompetent ownership accepts continued 3rd place finishes. What a crock that there are no superstar coaches out there lol. A real owner makes things happen. I guess people forget that in reality Jim Harbaugh was not available both times he was signed. Don Shula was not available when we made it happen. Funk Armando I don't have to accept **** or change teams. Sooner or later ross will change coaches or die. I'll just write off next year and maybe when he finally fires Philbin next season we get lucky

I just don't think you can find a good head coach, without having that head coach bring in his own guys. which i'm not ready to move on from Lazor yet, and I don't think he's ready to move up as HC.

anyone know of any head coaches that went to a new team and just took over the existing staff?

edit: and succeeded.

I would rather can Coyle and Philbin and promote Lazor. He is currently the only bright spot on this coaching staff. Philbin is clueless with defense and clueless with deciding who to start and sit. Not sure exactly what he brings to the table. I supported him for three seasons. I'm done now. This defense will continue to deterioirate under him. I'm sure the offense will get better though. Good thing we finally built an offense just in time for the defense to fold.

Sad article. Incompetent ownership accepts continued 3rd place finishes. What a crock that there are no superstar coaches out there lol. A real owner makes things happen. I guess people forget that in reality Jim Harbaugh was not available both times he was signed. Don Shula was not available when we made it happen. Funk Armando I don't have to accept **** or change teams. Sooner or later ross will change coaches or die.

Sure sounds like they are wanting to keep everything the same alright.

No Philbin, no Lazor. It's that simple. And I want to see Lazor/Tannehill II next season. I think it could be a really special offensive season for this franchise. Now it would be nice to see Joe fix the D with a new Coordinator much like he did by bringing in Lazor. Otherwise he can just stand there on the sidelines all season, just as long as Lazor is left alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every year there are calls for "one more year." Three years of mediocrity should be enough.
biggest difference in this case is the new OC/OL coach. I can't see any other coach worth a nickel, that would come in and keep the same staff and do a whole lot better. And i'm not ready to move on from Lazor. I also don't think Lazor is ready to move up to HC, but wouldn't be opposed to it. Philbin signed a 4 year contract, and I don't think he's done bad enough to be terminated. if Miami finished with a very poor record, then I could see replacing just the head coach. even though I still don't think just adding a new head coach with the existing OC/DC will do much good.

Back
Top Bottom