ARMANDO: Lack of star coaches makes Ross decision understandable | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ARMANDO: Lack of star coaches makes Ross decision understandable

Philbin signed a 4 year contract, and I don't think he's done bad enough to be terminated.

Joe took over a mediocre team and three years later it's still a mediocre team. I think 7-9, 8-8, 8-8 should be enough for a coach to be shown the door, especially when his team doesn't seem to show up for its more important games.

Personally i think it was Harbaugh or bust for Ross, and i'm sure with his connections to Michigan (and their serious interest in him too) he had a pretty idea of what kind of shot he had at him. At this point i think one more year of Philbin is the call, damn itd be sweet if we could of convinced Rex Ryan to be DC.

Do not forget the fact that Ross picked Philbin and wants to show his guy is a success and will give him every chance to fail.

you can look at it this way, at least Ross didn't extend Philbin. :lol:

not yet, I expect Stephen Magoo to extend him anytime soon.
He has never let a coach or GM go into their final year without an extension

Do not forget the fact that Ross picked Philbin and wants to show his guy is a success and will give him every chance to fail.

And Philbin is making the most of those chances.

Asinine concept by Armando. Star coaches don't often move between teams. You find the promising ones and they become stars. Arians sure as **** wasn't a star prospect. We ****ing passed on Mike Tomlin. John Harbaugh was a ST coach. Judge the character, ability and prior successes of the candidate. Bowles, Quinn, or a wildcard like Malzahn all exhibit more ability and have had more success than Philbin ever has. There are superior options to Philbin because he's an extremely poor option with absolutely no upside.

Asinine concept by Armando. Star coaches don't often move between teams. You find the promising ones and they become stars. Arians sure as **** wasn't a star prospect. We ****ing passed on Mike Tomlin. John Harbaugh was a ST coach. Judge the character, ability and prior successes of the candidate. Bowles, Quinn, or a wildcard like Malzahn all exhibit more ability and have had more success than Philbin ever has. There are superior options to Philbin because he's an extremely poor option with absolutely no upside.

Arians WAS a pretty hot candidate in 2013 because in 2012, when Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with Leukemia, Arians stepped in as interim head coach and led the Colts to a 9-3 record. It's what put him on the freaking map as a Head Coaching candidate. We can't just forget things because they don't fit the narrative.

What's with all the Mike Tomlin warship on this board? Mike Tomliln is to "The Chin" as Barry Switzer was to Jimmy Johnson. They both inherited Super Bowl winning teams. Both teams with complete working offensive and defensive systems in place. And both teams included All-Pro and Hall of Fame players ALREADY IN PLACE. And yet, both Coaches only managed to win A SINGLE Super Bowl each. I firmly believe that Tomlin would have been gone already just like Switzer if it hadn't been for a distinct advantage; the Steelers have one of the best personnel departments in the league. The Cowboys had Jerry.

Tomlin's only job was to continue doing what the Steelers had been doing successfully for a decade and he's managed one ring. For Christ's sake, he was 8-8 in BOTH 2012 AND 2013. Now imagine if Tomlin didn't have Rapistburger, where would that team be? Also, "Judge the character?" ... Well, let's not forget the embarrassing peak into his character we got when he stepped on the field to impede an opposing player sprinting down the sidelines toward his end zone. "It was an accident" ... no.thank.you. Most Steelers fans I meet these days are over pretty much over Mike Tomlin.

Arians WAS a pretty hot candidate in 2013 because in 2012, when Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with Leukemia, Arians stepped in as interim head coach and led the Colts to a 9-3 record. It's what put him on the freaking map as a Head Coaching candidate. We can't just forget things because they don't fit the narrative.

What's with all the Mike Tomlin warship on this board? Mike Tomliln is to "The Chin" as Barry Switzer was to Jimmy Johnson. They both inherited Super Bowl winning teams. Both teams with complete working offensive and defensive systems in place. And both teams included All-Pro and Hall of Fame players ALREADY IN PLACE. And yet, both Coaches only managed to win A SINGLE Super Bowl each. I firmly believe that Tomlin would have been gone already just like Switzer if it hadn't been for a distinct advantage; the Steelers have one of the best personnel departments in the league. The Cowboys had Jerry.

Tomlin's only job was to continue doing what the Steelers had been doing successfully for a decade and he's managed one ring. For Christ's sake, he was 8-8 in BOTH 2012 AND 2013. Now imagine if Tomlin didn't have Rapistburger, where would that team be? Also, "Judge the character?" ... Well, let's not forget the embarrassing peak into his character we got when he stepped on the field to impede an opposing player sprinting down the sidelines toward his end zone. "It was an accident" ... no.thank.you. Most Steelers fans I meet these days are over pretty much over Mike Tomlin.
I don't think you need to give a history lesson on what happened last year. Arians has been kicking around the league for decades. He was terrific as the interim which got him the gig in Arizona, but that happened in less than a year that doesn't seem to fit Mando's Grudenesque definition of what a star coach is. If not for Pagano going down he wouldn't have had the spotlight, but it didn't change who he was. He's been available in this league for years and years yet no one evaluated his potential as a HC accurately and he didn't get his chance. It fits the narrative just fine. I realize you're trying to justify your devotion to Philbin, but try harder.

Mike Tomlin is 7 successful years removed from Cowher. They just won the best division in football. 8-8 is his floor, that's another coach we know's ceiling. Enough with this idea that he hasn't left the chin's shadow some time ago. The Steelers organization is uniquely well structured, but that would actually strengthen the argument that they gauged the quality of Tomlin as a coach rather than diminish it.

If the argument is that there isn't a single person coaching today who won't one day be a successful HC in this league. Then that argument is wrong. It's just a matter of evaluating them correctly. It doesn't have to be highly publicized "star" coaching hire. Most of the successful coaches in this league came to their teams without the starry radiance of Gruden going to Tampa. There is a large number of better qualified men than Joe Philbin currently coaching and it's not a stretch to believe the low bar Philbin's set can't be bettered by coaches who are vastly more qualified than a man in his 50's who grinded along in an organization until he reached the pinnacle of his career which was being an OC who didn't call plays. There are better options out there.

Back
Top Bottom