Armando: players take on Tua | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: players take on Tua

Tua gets 2021 to show he can be the guy assuming Grier drafts offensive talent. He gets a full regular season to show what he can do. That includes mini camps, training camp, and preseason.

If at the end of all that he’s “just OK”, I’d be fine looking elsewhere.

Interesting considering Allen was "just OK" in his 2nd season also. Not to mention he already had more weapons, same OC, didn't come off a major surgery, and had 2 full offseasons under his belt.

But Tua gets a "I'll be fine looking elsewhere?"

Interesting considering Allen was "just OK" in his 2nd season also. Not to mention he already had more weapons, same OC, didn't come off a major surgery, and had 2 full offseasons under his belt.

But Tua gets a "I'll be fine looking elsewhere?"
We gave Thill ..SEVEN years....Tua gets a year and a half..with only one real camp and pre-season?

This whole thing is frustrating and annoying, the offseason isn't even two weeks old yet and this is all so exhausting. Between so many people piling on Tua to the bogus trade rumors for Watson, is this really something we have to deal with everyday until the 2021 season starts? It is annoying because so many people act like Tua flat out sucked this past season. He threw for twice as many touchdowns as interceptions and put the team on his back in a couple of games (see Arizona game). He didn't light the league on fire or blow people away, but for a rookie season (and only 9 starts to be exact) he played above average for a rookie quarterback. This isn't a Josh Rosen type rookie season where he had 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

I could understand if this was Tua's third season and he never really improved or the team is struggling because of him, but we are talking about 9 starts. lol. He didn't have much help in the skill positions and he was less than a year recovered from major hip surgery when he took the starting job. He spent all last season rehabbing that injury, this offseason he doesn't need to do that and he can train and build strength.

Also I don't understand now how some people/media are saying he is too short(same height as Drew Brees, taller than Kyler) and the most shocking statement is that he has no elite talent. Seriously? Are we really going to pretend that Tua is a sucky quarterback and everything he did at Alabama was a fraud? Someone even said he has no elite talent besides being accurate, um, I would consider that a very elite talent to be accurate. haha.

I was also listening yesterday to Moving the Chains on Sirius yesterday coming home from work yesterday with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and they were entertaining the idea of Miami trading Tua plus picks, for Watson. Kirwan was all giddy from a Houston perspective saying he would love to trade Watson to Miami for Tua (who he says Nick Caserio was very high on in last year's draft) and the 3rd pick, 18th pick and probably another first rounder in 2022. He was saying how it made so much sense for Houston because they would be getting a young QB in Tua to develop and build around and how Houston could use all the new draft pick assets on building the talent around him. Um, am I the only one who sees the problem in that from a Miami perspective? Miami is a far more talented overall team than Houston is right now. With no trade, Miami already HAS the young talented QB (Tua) AND all the draft picks assets to boost the talent around him. Why would Miami seriously give that all up?

I get it, Tua wasn't an immediate star, he played like a rookie. Gasp! I also understand Herbet played amazing stat wise, he did finish with a losing record and his coach got fired, but I digress. Did Burrow play a lot better than Tua did? That is debatable.

I also don't like when players play the anonymous card and say things they otherwise wouldn't say if they had to put their name to it. I also can understand how a player might not feel Tua is a star or proven, because he isn't yet. But he is also a rookie having started just 9 games. These players will quickly change their tune if Tua goes out and improves over the offseason and takes the next step that most logical minded people expect he will in year 2. I am also sure players in Buffalo privately questioned Josh Allen after his rookie season and even after his second year. As someone posted in this thread earlier, players in KC questioned Mahomes. I don't think this is really much of a story as Armando is trying to make it out to be. The media eats it up because it is just more fuel to the anti-Tua narrative.

My expectation, Tua remains in Miami, remains the starter, the team builds a lot around him on offense via free agency and draft and he does in fact take the next step in year 2. I think the Tua we see in 2021 will probably look a whole heck of a lot different than he did in 2020. I think the 2020 season was a perfect season for him to get his feet wet and get a real good feel for the NFL. He will definitely build off of that.

This whole thing is frustrating and annoying, the offseason isn't even two weeks old yet and this is all so exhausting. Between so many people piling on Tua to the bogus trade rumors for Watson, is this really something we have to deal with everyday until the 2021 season starts? It is annoying because so many people act like Tua flat out sucked this past season. He threw for twice as many touchdowns as interceptions and put the team on his back in a couple of games (see Arizona game). He didn't light the league on fire or blow people away, but for a rookie season (and only 9 starts to be exact) he played above average for a rookie quarterback. This isn't a Josh Rosen type rookie season where he had 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

I could understand if this was Tua's third season and he never really improved or the team is struggling because of him, but we are talking about 9 starts. lol. He didn't have much help in the skill positions and he was less than a year recovered from major hip surgery when he took the starting job. He spent all last season rehabbing that injury, this offseason he doesn't need to do that and he can train and build strength.

Also I don't understand now how some people/media are saying he is too short(same height as Drew Brees, taller than Kyler) and the most shocking statement is that he has no elite talent. Seriously? Are we really going to pretend that Tua is a sucky quarterback and everything he did at Alabama was a fraud? Someone even said he has no elite talent besides being accurate, um, I would consider that a very elite talent to be accurate. haha.

I was also listening yesterday to Moving the Chains on Sirius yesterday coming home from work yesterday with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and they were entertaining the idea of Miami trading Tua plus picks, for Watson. Kirwan was all giddy from a Houston perspective saying he would love to trade Watson to Miami for Tua (who he says Nick Caserio was very high on in last year's draft) and the 3rd pick, 18th pick and probably another first rounder in 2022. He was saying how it made so much sense for Houston because they would be getting a young QB in Tua to develop and build around and how Houston could use all the new draft pick assets on building the talent around him. Um, am I the only one who sees the problem in that from a Miami perspective? Miami is a far more talented overall team than Houston is right now. With no trade, Miami already HAS the young talented QB (Tua) AND all the draft picks assets to boost the talent around him. Why would Miami seriously give that all up?

I get it, Tua wasn't an immediate star, he played like a rookie. Gasp! I also understand Herbet played amazing stat wise, he did finish with a losing record and his coach got fired, but I digress. Did Burrow play a lot better than Tua did? That is debatable.

I also don't like when players play the anonymous card and say things they otherwise wouldn't say if they had to put their name to it. I also can understand how a player might not feel Tua is a star or proven, because he isn't yet. But he is also a rookie having started just 9 games. These players will quickly change their tune of Tua goes out and improves over the offseason and takes the next step that most logical minded people expect he will in year 2. I am also sure players in Buffalo privately questioned Josh Allen after his rookie season and even after his second year. As someone posted in this thread earlier, players in KC questioned Mahomes. I don't think this is really much of a story as Armando is trying to make it out to be. The media eats it up because it is just more fuel to the anti-Tua narrative.

My expectation, Tua remains in Miami, remains the starter, the team builds a lot around him on offense via free agency and draft and he does in fact take the next step in year 2. I think the Tua we see in 2021 will probably look a whole heck of a lot different than he did in 2020. I think the 2020 season was a perfect season for him to get his feet wet and get a real good feel for the NFL. He will definitely build off of that.
:fhpotd

I also don't like when players play the anonymous card and say things they otherwise wouldn't say if they had to put their name to it. I also can understand how a player might not feel Tua is a star or proven, because he isn't yet. But he is also a rookie having started just 9 games. These players will quickly change their tune if Tua goes out and improves over the offseason and takes the next step that most logical minded people expect he will in year 2. I am also sure players in Buffalo privately questioned Josh Allen after his rookie season and even after his second year. As someone posted in this thread earlier, players in KC questioned Mahomes. I don't think this is really much of a story as Armando is trying to make it out to be. The media eats it up because it is just more fuel to the anti-Tua narrative.

Fantastic post, I wish I could put things as eloquently as you just did. I do feel Tua is being hounded out here, for reasons I don't totally understand and it's a crying shame.

This is going to be a good test for Grier and Flores in how they appraoch this with the locker room.

Ok so I read the article via CBS, so one unnamed player doesn't understand why Tua was named starter for 2021 already understandable because that sounds like Tua isn't going to have any competition which was a problem with Tannehill, another wasn't impressed with Tua in training camp, and finally one was disappointed when it was Announced that Fitz wasn't available vs Buffalo because he believes Fitz is better than Tua. These were all apparently offensive players.

and then there's this:

"One defensive player said he isn't impressed with Tagovailoa's ball velocity or arm strength or ability to make off-schedule plays with his legs. So he ultimately questions whether Tagovailoa will ever be able to match the feats of other quarterbacks in the AFC such as Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson.

Basically it sounds like these players have a high ceiling set for Tua, but like most here are little unsettled after his play late in the season. I don't think this article should be causing everyone to get all riled up. Even the biggest Tua supporters here can't convince themselves that he's the franchise QB going forward quite yet. I'm still on the Tua bandwagon. Way too early to give up. But I'm a little concerned as well. Who wouldn't be? We gave Tannehill 7 years and even then some people was still holding out hope for him. I'll just say I was more satisfied with Tannehill after his rookie year than I am now with Tua. But the next year Tannehill took a step back. So who Knows, maybe after a proper offseason, and better players and coaching Tua will take that leap forward.

People don't think qb affects the whole team even if they aren't on offense. But it does. The qb sets the tone for the entire team. And a team that doesn't believe in its starting qb is going to play worse than they otherwise could.

Do you think its a age thing?...I'm older..so i have a little more patience....I think the younger ones want it quick...not quick enough?..Get another one..

It honestly seems to be the way of the world. No patience for anything! Either it's built in a day or throw it in the trash.
What's halarious is even the great Aaron Rogers sat for 10,000 years behind Farve and when he finally started he still didn't light the world on fire during his first season.

We want to throw a guy out with half a hip, no offseason, no weapons, and 9 games.

LOL...

I’m glad some of these fans aren’t in the FO other wise every trade for some big name player would be traded for and they’d be running in that mediocre hamster wheel with no draft picks and no cap space for another decade +. Some fans think this is like a game of Madden 21 with the cap turned off.

Back
Top Bottom