Armando salguero article..Examples of poor coaching by the Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando salguero article..Examples of poor coaching by the Miami Dolphins

I may or not be a Gase fan but I can tell you I did have high hopes after last year but lost a lot of faith in him this year, It would be too easy to list what he isn't getting out of this team, the big one being the Fins failure to play one single complete game this year. I believe they have regressed in almost every phase and the rankings show we're at the bottom of the pack in nearly every category...I digress.

Can anyone state what exactly Gase has done well this year? I would love to balance out some of my negative issues with him but am finding it hard to see almost anything that shows me he may have it as an NFL coach. Sorry if I am high jacking this post but it seems relevant to this one and I wasn't sure if I should start a new one based on that.

Unlike many people here, I think Gase is a very good play caller. Having said that, it may be time he gives up play calling to focus on "managing the managers".

He needs to spend a little time with all the units, and demand better from both the players, and the coaches. Can't correct issues if you're spending all your time with your head in a playbook.

I'm sure they identify these issues in film study. He has to be wondering why they're not getting fixed? Right? Can't just be "dumb players", although I'm sure that's part of it. It's not like the rest of the league has a bunch of brain surgeons playing for them.

Identify the problems, be it players, coaches, or both, and fix it, or ship them out. It's gonna be him that goes if he didn't make some changes going into next season.

He's got a free pass in my eyes this year. Made the playoffs last year. Lost his QB this year. If this type of play continues next year though, I'll be the first one screaming he's got to go.

Still lay the blame on players being dumb?
Yeah I do. Do you think the coaches haven't told them anything all year? You think after seeing the same mistakes week to week that not one of the assistant coaches instructed the players on what they should do in that situation? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Yeah I do. Do you think the coaches haven't told them anything all year? You think after seeing the same mistakes week to week that not one of the assistant coaches instructed the players on what they should do in that situation? I find that incredibly hard to believe.
all nfl teams drafted players from the same pool. Our players are not smarter or dumber than other teams.

all nfl teams drafted players from the same pool. Our players are not smarter or dumber than other teams.
Not so sure about that. Some teams have a knack for picking the dumb ones. Miami and Cleveland have a good track record there.

What's more likely, we have a team full of players who've done nothing but play football their entire lives and now appear to be dumb and incapable of running anything more complicated than Pro Bowl plays on both sides of the ball... or we have a handful (maybe less) of young coaches who are in way over their heads? I'm not ready to give up on Gase as he's shown he can get it done with multiple teams and even the Phins last year, but I don't believe in any of our assistant coaches save for Rizzi.

One of the issues with this team is youth at the coaching positions! Look at the difference with Wade Phillips! The Rams had a pretty good D last year but are lot better and the Broncos who had an awesome D now suck! The latest and greatest thing isn't always the latest and greatest thing. I wish we would have signed Phillips as the DC....hell I would even take Rex Ryan as a DC. We are too young at major coaching positions! I still can't believe Joseph got a HC position, it's like these GMs and owners are trying to be too cute and out smart everyone with these picks as HC's and coordinators!
It's not obvious which coaching appointments will succeed and which ones will fail. John Harbaugh was just a Special Teams Coach before being appointed as the Ravens Head Coach. Mike Tomlin was just a DB Coach immediately before his Pittsburgh Head Coaching role. Yet both of these guys have gone on to win Super Bowls as Head Coaches. I am not surprised that Vance Joseph has struggled to win in Denver. John Elway likes people who will do what he wants - has the reputation of being extremely difficult to work for. Vance is intelligent, softly spoken, experienced as a position coach, easy to work with and extremely likable. However, the likability attribute doesn't go too far when the team loses 7 games in a row. I think that the Dolphin Defense underperformed last season despite some glaring deficiencies in personnel (cough linebackers, cough couldn't stop the run). Vance is in a difficult position and has now got the stigma of looking like a loser.

Last edited:
One of the issues with this team is youth at the coaching positions! Look at the difference with Wade Phillips! The Rams had a pretty good D last year but are lot better and the Broncos who had an awesome D now suck! The latest and greatest thing isn't always the latest and greatest thing. I wish we would have signed Phillips as the DC....hell I would even take Rex Ryan as a DC. We are too young at major coaching positions! I still can't believe Joseph got a HC position, it's like these GMs and owners are trying to be too cute and out smart everyone with these picks as HC's and coordinators!
Signing Wade would have been an uphill battle. Of course piles of $$$ talks, but it's my understanding that he was especially attracted to the Rams specifically because he wanted to spend more time with his daughter who lives in LA. So I suspect, even making an overture to him would have been an exercise in futility.

It's not obvious which coaching appointments will succeed and which ones will fail. John Harbaugh was just a Special Teams Coach before being appointed as the Ravens Head Coach. Mike Tomlin was just a DB Coach immediately before his Pittsburgh Head Coaching role. Yet both of these guys have gone onto win Super Bowls as Head Coaches. I am not surprised that Vance Joseph has struggled to win in Denver. John Elway likes people who will do what he wants - has the reputation of being extremely difficult to work for. Vance is intelligent, softly spoken, experienced as a position coach, easy to work with and extremely likable. However, the likability attribute doesn't go too far when the team loses 7 games in a row. I think that the Dolphin Defense underperformed last season despite some glaring deficiencies in personnel (cough linebackers, cough couldn't stop the run). Vance is in a difficult position and has now got the stigma of looking like a loser.

Yes, but look at who John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin had as DC's......2 very experienced people at their positions. It is a mistake IMHO opinion to have youth at your 2 most prominent coaching positions, especially in today's NFL where players make what they make!

Stop bringing in Bengals coaches and stop getting fleeced by Philly with trades! We have **** for brains running this organization.

How does them being drafted from the same pool have anything to do with them being of similar intelligence levels? Recruiting matters. Those combine interviews are worth their weight in gold. Let someone who knows how to identify if someone is brain dead or not sit in with these kids ... not some dipshit who is going to use that time to ask a player if their mother is a prostitute.

These are not educated individuals coaches are dealing with, by and large. Athletic scholarships exist for a reason ... that being the overwhelming majority of kids wouldn't be getting into these schools based on academic merit. You don't really even have to do schoolwork once you get that free pass to college unless you go to Notre Dame. This is nothing new. The coaches have to be able to relate to the players ... get on their level and help them learn what you know. It's what they're getting paid for. Gase is having an extremely hard time with this aspect ... which is evident in his demeanor on the sidelines and in his pressers. He needs to get over himself and figure it out.

Last edited:
These are not educated individuals coaches are dealing with, by and large. Athletic scholarships exist for a reason ... that being that the overwhelming majority of kids wouldn't be getting into these schools based on academic merit. You don't really even have to do schoolwork once you get that free pass to college unless you go to Notre Dame.

Loved that little nod in there bob.

I agree with everything in that article...although I think we just have a lot of dumb players that can't learn.
If an entire team is screwing up all the time, including an all pro like Reshad Jones or Wake or Pouncey...you honestly think it's the players that can't learn? If an entire class of students fail the math test, that's on the teacher; not the students for not studying. Coaches have to teach in practice, otherwise wtf are they doing?

Back
Top Bottom