Armando Salguero: Dolphins still paying for epic mistakes of 2013 NFL Draft | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Dolphins still paying for epic mistakes of 2013 NFL Draft

Dennis Hickie, Miami Dolphins

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross hired Mike Tannenbaum to run his team, essentially rendering Hickie superfluous. The situation won't remain the same for another season.

"There is some change expected there," Rapoport said. "It is no certainty that Hickie returns for the 2016 season."

The coach is already out and Hickie apparently will follow. After not getting bang for his bucks with Ndamukong Suh, the question could become whether Ross blows up the whole thing and ships Tannenbaum quickly out of town, as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000609519/article/which-nfl-gms-are-on-the-hot-seat

Isnt it Hickey? disrespectful from NFL.com

Eitherway Hickey and Mike T should be fired asap

Yes, the draft and FA moves were bad by Ireland, but I would argue that Philbin hastened the disaster by miscasting these players into roles for which they were unfit.

Dion Jordan -- looked dominant at Oregon because they moved him around in a hybrid role and used his athleticism; Philbin and his boy Coyle made him a rush DE instead

Phillip Wheeler -- a one trick pony as a situational pass rusher; Philbin and Coyle repeatedly miscast him as a 3-down linebacker and he either got steamrolled in the run game or roasted in coverage

Jamar Taylor and Will Davis -- both felt comfortable at the line of scrimmage in jam-press man coverage where they could use their strength and length to re-direct receivers and support the run defense; Coyle throws them into his complicated zone scheme and neither of these guys are equipped to play corner without putting their hands on the receiver

I'm not absolving Ireland for bad picks. I'm saying that his picks were made so much worse because they were mismatched with the desires of that coaching staff.

Has this staff successfully coached anybody into a new role? Best I would say is Pouncey becoming a full-time center, but that was under Sparano, right? I really can't think of anyone else.

Yes, the draft and FA moves were bad by Ireland, but I would argue that Philbin hastened the disaster by miscasting these players into roles for which they were unfit.

Dion Jordan -- looked dominant at Oregon because they moved him around in a hybrid role and used his athleticism; Philbin and his boy Coyle made him a rush DE instead

Phillip Wheeler -- a one trick pony as a situational pass rusher; Philbin and Coyle repeatedly miscast him as a 3-down linebacker and he either got steamrolled in the run game or roasted in coverage

Jamar Taylor and Will Davis -- both felt comfortable at the line of scrimmage in jam-press man coverage where they could use their strength and length to re-direct receivers and support the run defense; Coyle throws them into his complicated zone scheme and neither of these guys are equipped to play corner without putting their hands on the receiver

I'm not absolving Ireland for bad picks. I'm saying that his picks were made so much worse because they were mismatched with the desires of that coaching staff.

I can go with most of that, but Will Davis- good coverage skills and a ball hawk, but I wouldn't call him a physical or particularly strong CB and he isn't good against the run. His lack of strength and poor run defense were big knocks on him at Utah State as well.

Dennis Hickie, Miami Dolphins

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross hired Mike Tannenbaum to run his team, essentially rendering Hickie superfluous. The situation won't remain the same for another season.

"There is some change expected there," Rapoport said. "It is no certainty that Hickie returns for the 2016 season."

The coach is already out and Hickie apparently will follow. After not getting bang for his bucks with Ndamukong Suh, the question could become whether Ross blows up the whole thing and ships Tannenbaum quickly out of town, as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000609519/article/which-nfl-gms-are-on-the-hot-seat

We as we have discussed to death, supposedly according to Ross and NFL Hickey did not answer to Tannebaum and had full say on roster matters so in that respect if true Tannebaum gets no blame or praise for this season.
Therefore Hickey has to get blame, no if what the team said is not true then Hickey should be gone anyway for not having the fortitude to force the situation. If the organization lied and Hickey is fired I expect the truth to come out.
Personally I want all these idiots gone. Tannebaum left the jets in bad shape with bad contracts and never came close to fixing their offensive woes. He came to them with a good defense and a bad offense and left them the same except with a horrible cap situation.

We as we have discussed to death, supposedly according to Ross and NFL Hickey did not answer to Tannebaum and had full say on roster matters so in that respect if true Tannebaum gets no blame or praise for this season.
Therefore Hickey has to get blame, no if what the team said is not true then Hickey should be gone anyway for not having the fortitude to force the situation. If the organization lied and Hickey is fired I expect the truth to come out.
Personally I want all these idiots gone. Tannebaum left the jets in bad shape with bad contracts and never came close to fixing their offensive woes. He came to them with a good defense and a bad offense and left them the same except with a horrible cap situation.

In the 2014 draft Hickey traded a 4th round pick to move up in the 3rd round to select Billy Turner, and move an uber athletic LT to Guard. OG Trai Turner was available when the Raiders used the pick acquired from us and was selected a dozen picks later by Carolina. He's a Pro Bowl starter this year. Martavis Bryant was selected two picks after the pick we traded away in the 4th round to get Billy Turner. Who would you rather have, Trai Turner and Martavis Bryant or Billy Turner?

This isn't hindsight, this was a head scratcher during the draft that year. Hickey also should have traded down in the first round when he had the chance, I would have been shocked if Ja'Wuan James was selected before we would have picked in a trade down and we could have pocketed a much needed second round pick, which would have let us take a MB, another OL or some other quality prospect. Hickey has to answer for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 2014 draft Hickey traded a 4th round pick to move up in the 3rd round to select Billy Turner, and move an uber athletic LT to Guard. OG Trai Turner was available when the Raiders uses the pick acquired from us and was selected a dozen picks later by Carolina. He's a pro Bowl started this year Martavis Bryant was selected two picks after the pick we traded away to get Billy Turner. Who would you rather have, Trai Turner and Martavis Bryant or Billy Turner?

This isn't hindsight, this was a head scratcher during the draft that year. Hickey also should have traded down in the first round when he had the chance, I would have been shocked if Ja'Wuan James was selected before we picked and we could have pocketed a much needed second round pick, which would have let us take a MB, another OL or some other quality prospect. Hickey has to answer for this.

Well you cant blame Hickey for Turner being moved to guard. I didnt agree with trading up to get Turner or staying pat and taking James. I agree he would have been there later in first round

I can go with most of that, but Will Davis- good coverage skills and a ball hawk, but I wouldn't call him a physical or particularly strong CB and he isn't good against the run. His lack of strength and poor run defense were big knocks on him at Utah State as well.

Davis and Taylor have been garbage here. Wheeler actually has been used in 3 down roles before and Jordon was never dominant at Oregon(good college player but not dominant).

We overdrafted both of these corner and Jordon.

Well you cant blame Hickey for Turner being moved to guard. I didnt agree with trading up to get Turner or staying pat and taking James. I agree he would have been there later in first round

IIRC the plan was to convert him from the get go. I liked Turner at LT, didn't love him, but he had some of the best Tackle feet I've ever seen. So they made him a Guard...and then we desperately needed a Tackle and who moves from Guard to Tackle? Dallas F****** Thomas. Incredible.

IIRC the plan was to convert him from the get go. I liked Turner at LT, didn't love him, but he had some of the best Tackle feet I've ever seen. So they made him a Guard...and then we desperately needed a Tackle and who moves from Guard to Tackle? Dallas F****** Thomas. Incredible.

Well the plan may have been to convert from get go, but the coach makes that decision. I think Turner could be a good RT

Well the plan may have been to convert from get go, but the coach makes that decision. I think Turner could be a good RT

I think that you're off track if you don't think that Hickey saw Turner and selected him as a Guard. Not sure about that, but that's my recollection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you're off track if you don't think that Hickey saw Turner and selected him as a Guard. Not sure about that, but that's my recollection.

I dont doubt your recollection but Philbin and staff still have to decide he is a guard or not

Yeah, I can go with that. But it still does speak to Hickey's acumen and drafting ability imo. I've been beating this drum for almost two years because I can't stand it- Trai turner was tailor made for us and the fastest Guard (maybe OL) in the draft for our ZBS. So we bypass him and throw away a 4th rd pick to take a Tackle and make him a Guard. Brilliant. We could have had both plus Martavis Bryant if we played our cards right. Again, not hindsight, a f*** fest from ground zero.

Yeah, I can go with that. But it still does speak to Hickey's acumen and drafting ability imo. I've been beating this drum for almost two years because I can't stand it- Trai turner was tailor made for us and the fastest Guard (maybe OL) in the draft for our ZBS. So we bypass him and throw away a 4th rd pick to take a Tackle and make him a Guard. Brilliant. We could have had both plus Martavis Bryant if we played our cards right. Again, not hindsight, a f*** fest from ground zero.

I hope all of these idiots are gone. Maybe keep Garfinkel and Marino but send all of these idiots packing although Ross can fire himself

Back
Top Bottom