Armando Salguero: Miami's Top Personnel Needs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Miami's Top Personnel Needs

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
I don't know if the "expert" was doing these needs in the order his mind has concocted them. I do know that's not the order the Dolphins have their needs currently pegged, based on conversations, texts, and emails I've had or exchanged with several team and NFL sources.

(Disclaimer: No one that tells you he knows the exact order of Miami's needs is telling the truth, unless that person's name is Jeff Ireland or Tony Sparano, and even then you might have to consider they might be working a smoke screen.)

(Disclaimer II: Neither one of those guys is telling folks the order of their needs, something that is really mundane but they guard as a draft secret.)

But I can tell you neither wide receiver nor tight end is at the top of Miami's needs list. And I can tell you neither runnning back nor quarterback is at the back end of Miami's needs list.

I think the more accurate order of Miami needs is running back, quarterback, interior lineman, speedy returner (If he's a WR or a RB all the better) and then a WR and TE.

Here is my thinking:

Have you looked at the Dolphins coming RB situation? Ronnie Brown is scheduled to be a free agent. Ricky Williams is scheduled to be a free agent. Patrick Cobbs is scheduled to be a free agent. Lex Hilliard is unsigned, although the Dolphins should retain his contract rights based on the fact he's been in the league only three seasons.

So none of Miami's running backs is signed for 2011.

The last time the Dolphins faced this kind of situation at a position was 2009 when they had Will Allen as the only experienced cornerback tied to a contract. They drafted Vontae Davis in the first round that year. And then they drafted Sean Smith in the second round.

Need solved.

This year? Running back, people.

Think running backs.

Yes, perhaps either Brown or Williams could return for 2011. But that is only an option. That is not the plan written in concrete. The Dolphins might find a RB in the draft and then go into free agency and love the idea of someone available there. No one can predict.

But we can predict the Dolphins will be eyebrows deep in the running back market this offseason.

Quarterback?

Well, Chad Henne is on campus. But Chad Pennington is a free agent and may or may not continue playing, depending on how his shoulder rehab goes. Either way, I do not think Pennington comes back to the Dolphins. Been there. Done that.

Love Pennington but if you re-sign a QB whose throwing shoulder has been surgically repaired three or four times and the last time you needed him, his shoulder dislocated without any contact, you are a candidate to buy land in the Everglades.

You go to that player in an emergency in the middle of a season if no one else is available. But to sign him as a backup? I think the Dolphins will try other avenues first. And second. And third.

Tyler Thigpen is an option. He's a free agent. He was the backup after Pennington got hurt. He's an option.

But the Dolphins need to add one and perhaps two more solid, more promising quarterback options if they can. They need a young guy they can groom, someone out of the draft probably. They need a vet that can challenge Henne for the starting job because, frankly, Henne needs the competition and isn't necessarily a sure-thing to win any competition anyway.

So quarterbacks. Big need.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...perts-on-the-radio-started.html#ixzz1CqAbX3GA

there is no way this team is okay going into next season without addressing TE. I know we have needs elsewhere, but we can't ignore the fact that fasano is our only threat at TE

We already know that RB and QB are the biggest needs. KR/PR is a need, but Miami can make due with what they have if they must. So that's not before TE. WR is better than TE. It's arguable that Guard is more of a need than TE. So it goes:

1. QB - Get it figured out.
2. RB - Get a new look at this position with speed and explosiveness.
3. TE or G - Get a pass catching TE and a G.

What Miami needs is a beat writer that actually has a clue as to what the **** he is actually writing about.

My hunch and it is only that (obviously) is we trade down get a second and take Pouncey to anchor the line either starting at left guard then moving to center or plugging him at center from day one like Pittsburgh did with his twin brother.

there is no way this team is okay going into next season without addressing TE. I know we have needs elsewhere, but we can't ignore the fact that fasano is our only threat at TE

i really hope we can get Zach Miller in free agency

armando salguero is an *** clown... even tho hes right that we need a QB

Just another naive fool ignoring the pass rush.

I have written this a thousand times now.

The Dolphins aren't going anywhere until they can beat the Patriots, and everybody with a clue knows the key to beating Brady and the Patriots is an overwhelming pass rush.

Wake is great, but the Dolphin pass rush,as a whole, is far from overwhelming. It must be improved, or expect two more losses to the Cheaters again next year.

Yes, you could lose twice to the Pats and still win the division but it is highly unlikely.

Dolphin fans need to wake up, and in the process of arousal, stir up ownership and management.

Ross needs to know the fans are rabid and we aren't going to take all this ***tty mediocrity.

I think the more accurate order of Miami needs is runnning back, quarterback, interior lineman, speedy returner (If he's a WR or a RB all the better) and then a WR and TE.
1. Ingram
3. Stanzi
4. Moffit
4. Koulianos ?

RB, OG, TE, CB, LB, QB, S, WR. thats my order of it. we have no returning RB's as of now. we have garner and jerry as guards, incognito will play center. we need better guards. We have no TE besides Fasano who is not elite. After vontae davis our corners are too shaky(though i like smith, carroll, ness) LB dansby and wake are great. crowder and misi are average. misi has ceiling though. alama francis is a mystery. if he was that good he would be starting. QB. we have no1 besides an everage Henne, same as TE situation. Safety. clemons and jones are young and promising. bell and culver are okay vets but they arent athletic freaks. bell is an in the box guys, hes more of a little LB then a safety. we need a ball hawk back there. clemons has the closing speed but hes just not a playmaker when the balls in the air. hes a playmaker in the run game though and in the box, thus why i think hes the better SS for us. jones could be a playmaker but i dont think well know till the end of the season. WR i put last because if u fix everything else our WR group is good enough. we have brandon marshall and davone bess at the end of the day. you cant complain about them. hartline might not be that deep threat but a good QB, with the other things should be able to work with that group

Back
Top Bottom