Armando Salguero: Miami's Top Personnel Needs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Miami's Top Personnel Needs

Anyone that doesn't have QB listed as the HIGHEST PRIORITY just doesn't get it.

I believe the Dolphin draft targets will be the positions that are hardest to fill. The law of Supply & Demand dictates a positions salary value ... scarcity of positions drives the price up, i.e. QB's make the big bucks!!

I have noticed that the Parcell's regime somewhat followed this model, drafting positions that are highest paid (but not a QB to our chagrin). Will Ireland continue this model??? ... I believe so!! All teams make the exception of a high-graded player falling to them, which can result in a surprise pick.

That means we'll probably be getting a QB & some O-Linemen with our top picks. A RB & TE might have to wait, or be a lower pick.

Here's a list of 2010 NFL Salaries by Position ... I believe we'll roughly draft our "needs", starting at the top of this list. (Read the article, alot of good info, such as O vs. D salaries, how data is skewed, etc.)

http://hubpages.com/hub/NFL-Salaries-No-Two-Football-Positions-Rank-Equal

2010 Ave. NFL yearly salaries by position

Rank - Position - Yearly Wages

1. Quarterback 1,970,982
2. Defensiv End 1,583,784
3. Offensive Line 1,267,402
4. Defensive Tackle 1,223,925
5. Cornerback 1,193,666
6. Linebacker 1,175,788
7. Wide Receiveer 1,054,437
8. Running Back 957,360
9. Safety 947,847
10. Punter / Kicker 868,005
11. Tight End 863,414

Here is my take:

QB- Will be addressed in FA Could be Kolb, plus draft a QB in the later round to groom

RB- Will be addressed in the Draft Could be Ingram with the #1 pick or another high prospect guy in round #3 Also I expect either Ronnie or Ricky to come back for a 1 yr contract.

TE- Address in the draft, maybe FA if someone is there that can help plug the hole. Maybe Zach Miller

OL- Address in Draft, if the Fin's trade down to get that 2nd back then I see them grabbing Pouncey

OLB- Address in Draft or FA, Need someone on the other side of Wake to apply pressure, Having Edds and Orlick back next yrear will help but they need another threat other than Wake.

DB- Address in Draft, later rounds find a guy to groom to replace Will Allen.

QB has to be the #1 priority!!! With average play this past season, we would have made the playoffs. We lost to 3 of the worst teams down the stretch with Henne playing like garbage!!! I dont like any of the FA options and trading for Kolb would probably end in disaster. If Kolb was so great.... Eagles wouldnt listen to offers for him and when he did play, was very average against some below average teams so NO THANKS!!! Carson Palmer is the only QB that could be available that would be worth trading for in my opinion. He was very productive this year even though the combo of T.Ocho missed games due to injury. Some of the ints were due to playing from behind all the time and a coordinator that is terrible(just got fired),but i doubt Cincy would let him go. that means we will have to adrees the QB situation through the draft. We have to take Mallett or Gabbert if they are there at 15, no doubt about it. Both are proven winners and have cannons on their shoulders!!! Let them learn the Offense for a year or 2 and let them take over for Henne or whoever we have???? Yes i said Henne. As painful as it was to watch him give games away, i still would like to see him in a QB friendly system and let him push the ball down field!!! Maybe he improves with a better system, maybe not??? Atleast we won't be able to use Henning as the excuse anymore!!! Next area has to be interior Oline. We have to get a stud Guard or Center or both in FA!!! The pocket collapsed frequently down the stretch and led to Sacks and no running game at times. I think cutting Grove and Thomas for Berger and McQuistan was the dumbest decision we made last year!!! L.Mankins or C.Nicks for guard would be on my wishlist as well as J.Goodwin or R.Kalil for Center. Then we should address the RB position next because lets face it....without a good QB and a good Oline, it doesn't matter who is trying to run the ball. Deangelo Williams seems to be one of our FA targets and he should be. When healthy, he's a very explosive back that is a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the football. We need this type of player on this team because we don't have this threat. Ronnie looks broken down and shouldn't be re-signed and Ricky is probably not coming back due to his comments and age concerns. My guess is we sign D.Williams and draft a back in the later rounds due to the absence of a 2nd rd pick. Ryan Williams and Demarco Murray are great prospects but i doubt they last until the 3rd rd. I like Graig Cooper in the 4th or 5th for a change of pace back that can handle all the returning duties as well. Some on here feel that secondary is a concern but i think we are fine with Davis and Smith and like the young talent we have with Carroll, Clemons, Jones, and Ness. Pressure will mask any deficiencies we may have in the secondary and thats where we need to address the OLB spot. Don't get me wrong, i think Misi is a solid and productive player but we need to get a beast out there like Lamaar Woodley or Tamba Hali. They sack the QB and can consistently apply pressure and force bad throws. Imagine how good Wake could really be if he had someone to take away a double team once in awhile??? Again, the lack of a 2nd rd pick hurts us to address a need position and i doubt Woodley or Hali will hit FA. We will have to get creative to add a force on the outside with the likes of possibly Mathias Kiwanuka, Ray Edwards, or Cliff Avril, all fast players in the 260lb range that can get to the QB!!! These guys play mostly at DE and Kiwinuka has experience at LB in a 4-3 but i think all of these guys would flourish in 3-4 OLB role. If you don't believe me, watch the Super Bowl on Sunday. Both have average secondaries but fast and strong LB's!!! Obviously we can't afford to Address all our needs with Pro Bowl players but Mankins and Kalil on the Oline and Avril for OLB would be fine for me. If we could somehow trade down and still get Mallett or Gabbert and aquire a 2nd pick, then i would go CRAZY!!! This team is not that far from contending and with a Great FA and a Great Draft.....It could be this year????

Back
Top Bottom