Armando Salguero summed up O-line philosophy perfectly | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero summed up O-line philosophy perfectly

miamifire

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article137579458.html

Toward the bottom, he states that we are paying Suh $19 Million per, and the Patriots are paying their 3 interior OL STARTERS $1.545 Million Combined! Their C is a 2nd year undrafted FA. The LG is a rookie 3rd rounder. The RG is 2nd year 4th rounder. Yet Suh has 1/2 a sack against them (they double team him). Pretty crazy when you think about it.
I now understand what Gase is doing with our OL. He very well may draft an G early, but he isn't paying top $$ to any free agent Guards.:crazy:

HarryBagpipe said:
its always "well the patriots do x" and yet not one team has been able to do what they do

It's maddening...!

Then we'll draft a G in the 3rd/5th round because conventional wisdom says that you don't draft G's with 1st round picks....

We won't do anything like the Pats ever because we are not them. If we follow their lead we won't make it to the superbowl, we have to get there our own way. Which seems to be through a balanced offensive attack, and a hungry defense. Some players are worth big money, some are not, but the money Suh is being paid should not be given to anyone.

It's maddening...!

Then we'll draft a G in the 3rd/5th round because conventional wisdom says that you don't draft G's with 1st round picks....

a lot of really good teams have spent money on interior lineman but since the pats didn't its gotta be the wrong thing to do

that line of reasoning is just as maddening

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article137579458.html

Toward the bottom, he states that we are paying Suh $19 Million per, and the Patriots are paying their 3 interior OL STARTERS $1.545 Million Combined! Their C is a 2nd year undrafted FA. The LG is a rookie 3rd rounder. The RG is 2nd year 4th rounder. Yet Suh has 1/2 a sack against them (they double team him). Pretty crazy when you think about it.
I now understand what Gase is doing with our OL. He very well may draft an G early, but he isn't paying top $$ to any free agent Guards.:crazy:

Dont forget that the Patriots have one of the best O-line coach in the NFL. Also our history of drafting O-line players is not that great (not counting 1rst Round players). Dont forget that the scouting dept. is mostly intact, so unless we spend a first or second round on a OG (specially is this weak OG class) we may not get a starter, which we really need.

I'm not happy about the way we've handled the guard position FOR THE LAST FIVE FREAKING YEARS.

Just fix it. I don't need all-stars. Just put two guys in there who aren't turnstiles. That's all I ask. Just that.

I'm not happy about the way we've handled the guard position FOR THE LAST FIVE FREAKING YEARS.

Just fix it. I don't need all-stars. Just put two guys in there who aren't turnstiles. That's all I ask. Just that.

Totally agree! From your mouth to Gods ears!!

What armando is not saying is that lots of teams send picks to NE every year just for the hell of it. Every time a team makes a trade with NE, that team gets screw but yet teams keep making those horrible trade where the pats always win. NE could trade their whole draft away and in a couple of weeks 3 different teams would offer them their whole draft for their punter

Ozzy rules!!

The biggest difference is the offensive line coach. He might be the best offensive line coach the game has ever seen. It's no secret that they were dominant on the line again the year he came back out of retirement.

I'm in the minority in being ecstatic that we DIDN'T chase a top tier Guard. IMO (I know, I know, we haven't been able to do it in the last few years) Guard is the easiest position to find a quality starter, outside of Kickers and Punters. Paying a Guard $6-10 million a year just seems like wasted money to me. I'm not worried about our OL one bit, seeing as how we have both Tackles and the Center spot locked up (praying Pouncey stays healthy), which are the important parts of an OL.

We drafted Jake Long 9 years ago to begin building an Oline. The fact that there are threads and articles today about it proves that there is no philosophy.

If it's so easy to say we should just follow the Patriots lead... should we lppk at how the Patriots were winning last year with former Dolphin cast offs Rob Nikovich and jonathan Freeney starting on defense. Should we try to fill our de and linebacker needs with those types of players instead of using a draft pick to try and fill those holes?

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest difference is the offensive line coach. He might be the best offensive line coach the game has ever seen. It's no secret that they were dominant on the line again the year he came back out of retirement.

and it didn't hurt that the Pats offensive line had continuity
something that has been missing with our offensive line for quite some time

Guard Joe Thuney played 99.6% of all offensive snaps
Guard Shaquille Mason 90.9%
Tackle Marcus Cannon 92.1%
Tackle Nate Solder 92%
Center David Andrews 99.6%

Compared to the Dolphins
Bushrod...99.8%
James....98.6%
Tunsil...84.6%
Albert...76.1