Armando Salguero summed up O-line philosophy perfectly | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero summed up O-line philosophy perfectly

QUOTE=BlueFin;1065976892]I believe you draft guards...and only first round if special like Zach Martin.[/QUOTE]

[video=youtube;fwTrxDHp6TQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTrxDHp6TQ[/video][

Just remember that not long ago when the Pats won there middle Super Bowls Big Vince was anchoring that defense and was one of the highest paid NT in the game.

So when you say look at what the Pat's do.........yeah they do everything right including letting talent walk and somehow finding a replacment (Chandler Jones and Richard Seymore come to mind as well as Wilfork).

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article137579458.html

Toward the bottom, he states that we are paying Suh $19 Million per, and the Patriots are paying their 3 interior OL STARTERS $1.545 Million Combined! Their C is a 2nd year undrafted FA. The LG is a rookie 3rd rounder. The RG is 2nd year 4th rounder. Yet Suh has 1/2 a sack against them (they double team him). Pretty crazy when you think about it.
I now understand what Gase is doing with our OL. He very well may draft an G early, but he isn't paying top $$ to any free agent Guards.:crazy:

Every team doubled Suh, not just the pats. That means one man on the D is free, not a bad thing. At 1/2 sack in 2 games, that 8 sacks per season, more than the 5 he had last year!

I'm in the minority in being ecstatic that we DIDN'T chase a top tier Guard. IMO (I know, I know, we haven't been able to do it in the last few years) Guard is the easiest position to find a quality starter, outside of Kickers and Punters. Paying a Guard $6-10 million a year just seems like wasted money to me. I'm not worried about our OL one bit, seeing as how we have both Tackles and the Center spot locked up (praying Pouncey stays healthy), which are the important parts of an OL.

:err:

Where in the world was it accepted that guard is a nothing position to be overlooked on the o-line?!?!

Ridiculous. When you use the ZBS as much as we do in the run game, (30% of runs IZ, 48% of runs OZ) guards are absolutely crucial in getting blockers to the second level.

It's also a different league in terms of pass rush. A defense's best edge rusher are often now kicked inside according to gameplanning against weaker guards. They no longer just align outside the LT if they can find a better matchup somewhere.

So because there were very few FA gaurds available and we didn't want to shell out top dollar best ones, we are following the Patriot way?

Until our staff can consistently coach up low round or undrafted players.....I'm not buying it Armando.

its always "well the patriots do x" and yet not one team has been able to do what they do

Right? They are masters at everything it seems.

Let's see... they had to pay Butler. So instead, they give the money to Gilmore. Trade away butler to the saints in return for, at worst, getting their #32 pick.

Worst case scenario: they swapped butler for Gilmore and a cheap #1 WR in Cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you have the greatest qb ever, a lot of problems like having mediocre guards just seem to go away.

Since Brady was drafted, I count about 14 offensive linemen drafted by the Patriots in the 4th round or later versus only 6 or so in rounds 1, 2, or 3. They draft a ton of interior OL in the late rounds, basically seeing what they get. Scarnecchia is the best oline coach in the NFL and he works wonders but they give him plenty of cannon fodder to work with.

No one can replicate what the Patriots do, because they don't have all of those parts.

The Fins better take a guard within the first 2 rounds.

So because there were very few FA gaurds available and we didn't want to shell out top dollar best ones, we are following the Patriot way?

Until our staff can consistently coach up low round or undrafted players.....I'm not buying it Armando.

I stil think Albert would have been a great OG.

So much movement required that only the mighty Ted Larsen could do it! I'll take Albert over any of our OG's.

That's a **** signing for starter quality if that's the case. We all know that.

We may all despise the Patsies but you cannot deny they are very adept at spotting hidden talent, which is a testament to their scouting dept. and also very good at reclamation projects and that's on the coaching, it allows them to skate by with less than desirable personnel. Hard to do one, doing both with a high success rate is pretty incredible.

They also just paid top dollar for a corner and if we had done it we would be getting killed for the move. When you have earned the respect they have, with the success they have had, their moves look great no matter what. Create your own culture and win your way. Gase is doing it. Let's see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom