Armando says avoid small school players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando says avoid small school players

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been posted, i searched (Briefly) but didn't see it.

Armando Salguero is suggesting that hickey avoids small school prospects based on the starting minutes that last years small school heavy draft picks provided. I happen to totally disagree with his assessment that small school players by rule take longer to see the field. I think hickey did a great job with the first two picks finding starters in both. (which hasn't always been the case around here) Billy Boy (a small school prospect) will most likely start next season, Fede was like a what 7th round pick or something like that? How many 7th round picks even make the team let alone contribute for you, this included big school players. Jordan Tripp was needs to put on a little weight and was hampered by injuries, but from all accounts he has a chance to contribute next season. Walk Aikens contributed on special teams which is what you'd expect out of a 4-5th round pick no matter the school. And he also used the undrafted guys that made the team from big schools as example to why you want to stay away from small school players saying the the undrafted players started more minutes than the drafted players. To that I say, McCain had off the field issues that caused him to not be drafted and Damien Williams had an injury out of oklahoma right? I could be wrong but there was something with him that made him go undrafted. What do you guys think??

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ns-must-avoid-another-small-school-binge.html

Armando is right. Billy Turner couldn't even play late in the year after all the injuries we had on the o-line. Total project.

Walt Aikens stunk.

Jordan Tripp again with all the injuries at LB couldn't see the field

Matt Hazel was a non-factor.

The BEST 2 players Miami drafted (James and Landry) both came from the SEC! That says it all

Armando is right. Billy Turner couldn't even play late in the year after all the injuries we had on the o-line. Total project.

Walt Aikens stunk.

The BEST 2 players Miami drafted (James and Landry) both came from the SEC! That says it all

Aikens was kicked out of Georgia and ended up at a small school.

are dallas thomas and will davis small school??? michael egnew??? patrick turner??? how bout we just avoid scrub players

Yeah we wouldn't want to draft a small school WR like Jerry Rice out of Mississippi Valley State.......:clapping:

There's a decent amount of of Players in the NFL that came from small schools.Our own Grimes cam from a small school.They take a little more time to develop but it doesn't end with don't draft them.

Philbin has been notorious for not playing 1st year players until last year when they were thrust into action.Not to say that James and Landry wouldn't have played but our RT and WR position were thin to obsolete when the 2014 season began.

Walt Aikens stunk.

I don't think you get it. Joe generally prefers to have his rookies sit in year 1 (a few exceptions, eg Tannehill, James, Landry, Sturgis). Year 2 is when you can expect opportunities fully emerge, eg Lamar Miller, Jelani Jenkins, Dallas Thomas. It is the approach that he learned in Green Bay. Starve the rookies and then progressively ramp up snaps. A player like Dion Jordan is now ready to make a much bigger contribution.
Last year's rookies like Tripp, Aikens, Turner, Fede and Lynch will probably be given more chances.

philbin started a less than 20 college starts rookie qb his first year as hc so i think the won't play rookies is overblown...although i do think that he goes with what he's familiar with/trust from a camp setting on pretty much and doesn't much deviate or adjust to the actual field results in season

its not really the schools they come from... its what the players offer coming into the NFL... how they play on the field, their abilities and fit with our team and schemes. you can find players from any school that can play great or at least contribute... you can find busts and awful players in top schools as well. its how you scout, analyse and work with the players

Yeah we wouldn't want to draft a small school WR like Jerry Rice out of Mississippi Valley State.......:clapping:
:up:

A list of some small school players:
Willie Brown, Grambling
Doug Williams, Grambling
Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley St.
Walter Payton, Lem Barney and Jackie Slater, Jackson St.
Gene Upshaw, John Randle and Darrell Green, Texas A&I
Mel Blount and Aeneas Williams, Southern
Willie Lanier, Morgan St.
Deacon Jones, South Carolina St.
Dick "Night Train" Lane, Western Nebraska Community College
Claude Humphrey, Tennessee State
Michael Strahan, Texas Southern
Andre Reed, Kutztown
Pierre Garcon, Mount Union
Fred Jackson, Coe College
John Stallworth, Alabama A&M
Larry Little, Bethune Cookman
Don Shula, John Carroll
Terry Bradshaw , Fred Dean and Willie Roaf, Louisiana Tech
Art Shell, Maryland St.-Eastern Shore
Joe Green, North Texas St.
Shannon Sharpe, Savannah St.
Larry Allen, Sonoma St.
Jim Langer, South Dakota St.
Don Maynard, Texas Western
Merlin Olsen, Utah St.
Howie Long, Villanova

Need I go on?

:up:

Need I go on?

Look. I think I agree with your point in that there are numerous great players that come from small schools. I would be more interested in knowing what percentage of players from small schools play their average career length in the NFL? IMHO I would not shy away from small school athletes, but make sure their isn't a more "ready" and seasoned player available at that draft pick. It's good to take a flyer on a couple of longs shots, but not the majority of the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom