Armando says avoid small school players | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando says avoid small school players

I have no problem with small school guys. There are certain aspects to them that could be beneficial. Chip on shoulder, benefit from better coaching and physical training, and late bloomers to name a few.

I agree to an extent, but philbin is to blame as well. he isn't very good at developing talent and doesn't let rookies play much

Aikens was kicked out of Georgia and ended up at a small school.

Doesn't matter. He played at a small school and went to the NFL and stunk. I don't care where he signed with originally he played college ball at a small school

:up:

A list of some small school players:
Willie Brown, Grambling
Doug Williams, Grambling
Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley St.
Walter Payton, Lem Barney and Jackie Slater, Jackson St.
Gene Upshaw, John Randle and Darrell Green, Texas A&I
Mel Blount and Aeneas Williams, Southern
Willie Lanier, Morgan St.
Deacon Jones, South Carolina St.
Dick "Night Train" Lane, Western Nebraska Community College
Claude Humphrey, Tennessee State
Michael Strahan, Texas Southern
Andre Reed, Kutztown
Pierre Garcon, Mount Union
Fred Jackson, Coe College
John Stallworth, Alabama A&M
Larry Little, Bethune Cookman
Don Shula, John Carroll
Terry Bradshaw , Fred Dean and Willie Roaf, Louisiana Tech
Art Shell, Maryland St.-Eastern Shore
Joe Green, North Texas St.
Shannon Sharpe, Savannah St.
Larry Allen, Sonoma St.
Jim Langer, South Dakota St.
Don Maynard, Texas Western
Merlin Olsen, Utah St.
Howie Long, Villanova

Need I go on?

Considering the league has been around 50 years or so post merger, that list is pretty weak actually if that's it. Pretty much drafting a small school guy is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm not saying avoid all small school guys but when 3/4th or more of your entire draft is small school guys and they all stink.....might not want to draft so many. Maybe keep it to 1 small school guy per draft

Armando has it wrong this time. No one can tell me that Billy Turner would have performed any worse than Dallas Thomas last year.
I also think carries that should have gone to Damien Williams were wasted on Daniel Thomas. In fact, I would have kept Orleans Darkwa over Thomas in the first place.

Doesn't matter. He played at a small school and went to the NFL and stunk. I don't care where he signed with originally he played college ball at a small school

I just wanted to give a thumbs down to this, because your thumbs down to the Jerry Rice post was staggeringly poor.

Small school is bigger risk. Basically you need to translate the players performance to higher level of competition, as in can that player compete against better players. Most small school guys need to be absolutely dominant to translate, think of a Randy Moss at Marshall. A Billy Turner at NDSU was dang good but not head and shoulders above week in and week out. He was good, but the level of competition must be factored in.

I for one prefer large school players due to the vast difference in competition level. For me to suggest drafting a small school kid, he must have been clearly dominating.

Armando has it wrong this time. No one can tell me that Billy Turner would have performed any worse than Dallas Thomas last year.
I also think carries that should have gone to Damien Williams were wasted on Daniel Thomas. In fact, I would have kept Orleans Darkwa over Thomas in the first place.

Were you at every practice grading out these players on film study? On what basis would you keep Darkwa over Thomas? Thomas was cut you might recall then resigned later after Moreno went down for the year. If that doesn't happen Thomas isn't resigned.

You have no clue on Dallas Thomas vs Billy Turner. Maybe Turner just flat out graded poorly and struggled. Because if he was good enough he would have played. Maybe he's just a project.

I don't think the issue was that the kids were small school players as much as some guys need a year of NFL weight training. It happens with kids from bigger schools too.

Jason Allen was from a BIG school and BIG conference and busted. Remember people saying Saban "knew" the SEC so he was going to be a great pick.

Find good players.

I don't think the issue was that the kids were small school players as much as some guys need a year of NFL weight training. It happens with kids from bigger schools too.

Yes, we forget that some players need a year of development before they can contribute, this doesn't mean they suck or are a bust...they just need time to develop the strength and technique to succeed in the NFL.

philbin started a less than 20 college starts rookie qb his first year as hc so i think the won't play rookies is overblown...although i do think that he goes with what he's familiar with/trust from a camp setting on pretty much and doesn't much deviate or adjust to the actual field results in season

But wasn't Tannehill sort of forced into action when the Veteran QB we signed got hurt during camp and it was between Tannehill and Matt Moore? I forget the dudes name, I know he was a Black guy though.

I guess I look at it this way, if i'm a scout, and I like a small school player's tape and he has the size and weight requirements the meet my criteria, I don't think it's smart to pick a big school player who's tape doesn't impress me as much or may not have the size requirements I prefer over the small school guy just because he played at a big school. Big School players bust too. And many of them also take a year or two to develop, Oliver Vernon, Dion Jordan comes to mind.

We picked what 5 small school players? And 4 of them contributed? I'm not sure we've had that type of success with "Big School" draftees. IJS

But wasn't Tannehill sort of forced into action when the Veteran QB we signed got hurt during camp and it was between Tannehill and Matt Moore? I forget the dudes name, I know he was a Black guy though.

David Garrard?

Back
Top Bottom