Armando: Slow starts must stop | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Slow starts must stop

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Joe Philbin didn’t much like the way his team looked in pregame warmups last week, so he’s adjusting that Sunday because the way the team got warmed up for the Jacksonville Jaguars — apparently lacking energy or speed or something — is how they started the game.

And Philbin, the Miami Dolphins’ coach, admits failing to start fast “has been a little bit of an issue” for his team.

Little bit.

The Dolphins failed to start fast at Jacksonville, giving up a touchdown on the opening drive. Miami won the previous week at Washington, but the start to that game wasn’t textbook, either, as the Redskins took a 10-0 lead before the Dolphins woke up.

And this is indicative of how the Dolphins have often started games in recent seasons. Regardless of whether they ultimately win or lose, more often than not this team starts as if it is rolling uphill.

Last season, for example,
So maybe this team is what it is: A group of counter-punchers.

“I hope not,” Philbin said. “We’ve been a good team, a productive team, at halftime coming out scoring points. Obviously, these first two weeks, that’s been evident as well. But, yeah, we physically have to be ready to come out of the gate faster.”

But how does that happen?

“We’ve talked about having a better pregame,” Philbin said. “I didn’t really like our pregame last week. I know that sounds crazy, but I want more tempo in the pregame to get ourselves loosened up a little bit and moving a little bit.”

The coaching staff emphasized third downs and discipline regarding penalties during the practice week leading to the Buffalo Bills game.

Obviously, winning on third down determines whether the defense can get off the field. It also determines whether the offense can stay on the field. The Dolphins haven’t been good enough in either category, particularly early in games, to start fast.

“In the meeting room, it’s not just about me saying, ‘Get off to a fast start, get off to a fast start, get off to a fast start,’ ” Philbin said. “That’s great, but how are we going to do that? I think two things we needed to look at was third down and discipline. Let’s not hurt ourselves and let’s not extend drives for them. Let’s not give up anything free.”

Dolphins players believe having confidence is also important to a fast start.

“Confidence is everything in this league,” center Mike Pouncey said. “It isn’t just wake up out of bed and think you can do it. It takes repetition and practice, and it takes you believing in yourself.”

Cameron Wake said, “it’s going out, seeing situations at practice, running around and feeling fast, feeling confident. Then on game day it should be second nature.”

Here’s another suggestion: Coach more aggressively.
“I’d love to get off to a fast start. I’d love to get a nice lead,” Philbin said. “I talked to the team about seizing and then maintaining momentum. The first two weeks we really haven’t had it for any period of time, momentum. We’ve battled back. We won one game, we lost one game. But it’s never felt like … we haven’t been in control either week. That’s another point. We have to complement one another.

“We didn’t make a lot of impact plays on defense last week. We held them out in the second half until the very end. But the negative plays weren’t there. The sacks weren’t there, the fumble recoveries, the interceptions weren’t there. We have to a better job doing those things, getting momentum, and then building off one another on offense and defense.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...o-salguero/article36711933.html#storylink=cpy

[TWEET]647907728745189377[/TWEET]

[video=youtube;1g_r_j_i_6U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_r_j_i_6U[/video]

Thanks for posting - I don't recall a game this early in the season ever feeling so pivitol. Maybe i've just been reading to many news clippings, but it's definitely feeling "make or break", whether it is or not.

Sadly, this will be philbins coaching epitaph. Its been a pattern of his team since day one.
If they get down by 10 against the Bills, the game is as good as over unless they get a fortuitous bounce or score on a ST play or Buffalos offense implodes with multiple turnovers.

Sadly, this will be philbins coaching epitaph. Its been a pattern of his team since day one.
If they get down by 10 against the Bills, the game is as good as over unless they get a fortuitous bounce or score on a ST play or Buffalos offense implodes with multiple turnovers.

It maybe sad for Philbin and his staff, but when they are replaced it will be a day of celebration for me!

Says he wants more tempo in the pregame but then doesnt play with any in the you know actual games :bobdole:

Says he wants more tempo in the pregame but then doesnt play with any in the you know actual games :bobdole:

**** Tempo....you know if you keep doing the same thing you will eventually get a different result...right?

Oh wait that is not how that quote went....

Thanks for posting - I don't recall a game this early in the season ever feeling so pivitol. Maybe i've just been reading to many news clippings, but it's definitely feeling "make or break", whether it is or not.

Wow. You are thinking just like I am. It goes against all reason, but I can't help but think the entire season is on the line this week. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Wow. You are thinking just like I am. It goes against all reason, but I can't help but think the entire season is on the line this week. Does anyone else feel the same way?
pretty much this week and next week. Win both and we have a season. Lose both and "we are who we thought they were". Split and geez I have no clue.

Where is this uptempo offense he talked about when he was hired. We have seen little snippets over the last 3 years. Philbin acted like this offense wouldn't huddle and just keep it moving.
I am literally bored with Philbin. He has had 3 years to show us. I guess we shall see as the season plays out, but we need to get it straightened out real quick.

Or here is a novel concept, let the QB audible and actually manage the game other than taking what is given.

Or here is a novel concept, let the QB audible and actually manage the game other than taking what is given.

Phailbin has never handed the reigns to Tannehill and he likely never will, and since Phailbins concepts don't work, Tannehill will never reach the level of player I know he can be. As most of us know, Phailbin is the weakest link on this team and is holding the team back immensely.

Back
Top Bottom