Around the Horn | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Around the Horn

Bill Plashke isn't a bastion of good sources either. This is a guy who constantly rips the Dodgers for not iwnning anything and being a terrible team ( despite being in first almost all year and on the verge of clinching their first division title in ten years ). He constantly is saying how Jim Trayc is going to get fired ( despite said record this year and contract extension a few weeks back ).

Face it, none of the guys on this show are really "credible" They are/were beat writers who contribute to a show for ENTERTAINMENT purposes. One reason I really hate ESPN is because their programming director has stated that he wants to get away from the hardcore news angles and focus more on entertainment on the netwrok. Henceforth all the crappy movies, terrible game shows, lousy countdown shows and god awful reality shows. They are copying MTV, VH1 and every other cable networks formula for ratings. The onyl really newsworthy show they have anymore is Sportscenter and even that has celebrity gameshows, battle of the bands competetions and comedy bits written into them.

Around the Horn, PTI and all hose other showtypes are only here for us to watch fat wannabeathleteswhosettledforwriting types piss and moan. Hell, Woody Paige even left the newspaper he was writing for do to his "fame" and moved to New York to work for ESPN's awful morning show Cold Pizza along with Skip "Maury Povich" Bayless.

Take anything any of them say with a grain of salt or two.

Soapbox off...

One thing is for sure, if Johnson comes in and takes over for Dave, we can be assured he will be our next HC until he decides to quit on us again.

Trekbiz said:
I don't see this happening but let's say it is, who would any of you see being promoted to interim coach???
Most assistants are probably Wanny clones except for Trestman and Sullivan.
If all the rumors of the rest of the staff not liking Trestman are true you could rule him out.
So then who...... Bates? Sullivan? Forrester (God help us)?

Well, whoever it was, would not be encompassing as much as Dave and would at least give Forester a chance to actually game plan and call plays other then, run straight, run straight, pass short, punt.

Trestman or Sullivan, hell even Bates.

I'd love JJ back. He was handicapped with Marino and not being able to dump him. Also, he inherited a pass blocking OL and had to turn them into a balanced run/pass blocking OL and had to get a lot of pieces. He gambled too much on RBs, but drafting in the high 20s every year doesn't help.

It would be a dumb move to fire Dave at midseason and install one of the other coaches like Trestman as interm coach. Reason being at the end of the season, Wayne may make that interm coach the HC. I want someone new that is outside this organization.

It was dumb to hire Trestman in the first place. It would be even worse to appoint him the interim head coach.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
Woody Paige is the guy who got suspended for making some stupid comment about Jason Kidd beating his wife or his son. I think he said she deseves to be beaten because she keeps the kid up late on a school night to watch his father play.
That was Bob Ryan.

bigmiamifan said:
I'd love JJ back.
Yea, Miami needs more 62-7 games.

bigmiamifan said:
He was handicapped with Marino and not being able to dump him.
That was his own fault. he could have traded Marino. Win and fans forget.

bigmiamifan said:
Also, he inherited a pass blocking OL and had to turn them into a balanced run/pass blocking OL and had to get a lot of pieces. He gambled too much on RBs, but drafting in the high 20s every year doesn't help.
At least then he got one out of 2. Now he would get a line that cannot do either.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
Woody Paige is the guy who got suspended for making some stupid comment about Jason Kidd beating his wife or his son. I think he said she deseves to be beaten because she keeps the kid up late on a school night to watch his father play.

Wrong writer you are referring to :yell:
That writer was Bob Ryan, long time NBA based Boston writer who often would be on that show.

bigmiamifan said:
Well, whoever it was, would not be encompassing as much as Dave and would at least give Forester a chance to actually game plan and call plays other then, run straight, run straight, pass short, punt.

Trestman or Sullivan, hell even Bates.

I'd love JJ back. He was handicapped with Marino and not being able to dump him. Also, he inherited a pass blocking OL and had to turn them into a balanced run/pass blocking OL and had to get a lot of pieces. He gambled too much on RBs, but drafting in the high 20s every year doesn't help.
How the **** could you say anyone or anything was handicapped by Marino? I'm putting you on my ignore list.:D

Around the Horn is a perfect example with what's wrong with mainstream sports journalism. These four morons -- woody being perhaps the worst -- are more interested in mini-celebrityism than gathering and passing on information. They want to be like the althletes they're supposed to be covering..

nephinsfan said:
anyone see around the horn tonight on ESPN? I am not to familiar with Woody paige but he is one of the guests on the show and one of the topics was the Phins.....he said according to his sources wanny will be gone in a few weeks..I dont know how reliable he or his "sources" are but what the hell would this franchise be with a firing in the middle of the season??
all the other three guesses say that the only teams they will beat is the Bills and the 49ers.
now I know just as much as you guys how bad ESPN slams the phins....
on a sidenote one of the other guests said that the rumor he is hearing is that wanny will stay for the season but will be fired and jimmy johnson will be back.....I dont see that happening. i think jimmy is happy fishing and he wants nothing to do with taking over for his fired friend.

Wether theyre idiots or not...I like both rumors!!!!!

Guys, if we get a new coach in mid-season we may finish strong...Players are known to play better and fired up for a new coach...Especially if you're replacing one like Wanny.

If we get JJ, we will know for sure that Wayne still has no clue, has been snookered again by the pork faced satan snake oil salesman, and we will suck for another 3 or 4 years until JJ gets fed up and quits on us.

Getting JJ back is like putting Fiedler back under center. We know we'll be mediocre...and at this point some idiots are clammoring for mediocre.

The only reason I see Huizenga firing Wanny during the season is to boost his (Huizenga's) popularity- by giving it to the hated coach, Trump-style. The JJ stuff is just stuff. The Dolphins are falling apart, who better to interview but the former coach, and outspoken talking head on Fox Sunday? They are even printing Don Strock's lambasting of the Dolphins. Whoever interviews Shula will get kudos for landing that one. The question I think we should be worried about, or worked up about, is how deep and wide does the firings go? Spielman?

Back
Top Bottom