Article: Griese is not Dolphins' Savior | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: Griese is not Dolphins' Savior

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

I beg to differ. Ricky's detractors also said he was one-dimensional and could not break the big run.

The big run thing was extra to cover letting him go. This was strictly a personality thing between Ricky and the head coach. Hasslet Period.

whatever his problem was, now is what counts and if he continues to play like he did the other night against whatever teams(i dont care who we beat) Im happy.

This is a moronic article. Nobody's asking Griese to be his old man. Nobody is asking him to save the Dolphins. He's being asked to be a better passer than this year's Jay Fiedler. Is that a realistic expectation? Yes it is. Asking him to be John Elway? That was not realistic. The same way asking Jay Fiedler to be Dan Marino is idiocy.

Everyone agrees Griese has the talent, both physically and mentally. What people question is his leadership, emotion, and ability to deal with adversity. Those are areas that improve as human beings mature. He's already drawing compliments from Ricky and others regarding his leadership on the field... which is a step in the right direction. If he gets his head on straight, he *WILL* be drawing comparisons to his old man. Once again, the question is "IF."

Hey, these same media jackasses were crucifying Kerry Collins after his well-documented depression and drinking problem in Carolina. They said THE EXACT SAME THINGS ABOUT RICKY WILLIAMS -- "he's a fruit loop, he gives interviews wearing his helmet, he's an underachiever, he's a bum." Aren't you glad Miami gave Ricky a chance to prove himself, as opposed to listening to Joe Dickhead from NBCSports.com?

I look at Griese and see a guy with a lot of talent, a lot of emotional baggage, and some big question marks. Griese will either mature and become a good player (as Collins has, as Williams has), or he will wind up like Ryan Leaf. NBCSports.com can suck it. I'll wait and see for myself.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Don't make excuses for Griese to please your own wants... if he starts this Weekend, I'm hoping the D is at their very best..He will need them a lot.

Maybe it's the beer that caused me to miss this but....

That's a bold statement...

Can I designate you a "Griese hater". :D

The big run thing was extra to cover letting him go. This was strictly a personality thing between Ricky and the head coach. Hasslet Period.

I don't deny politics and personalities played a part in his departure, but there was the perception -- and not just in New Orleans -- that Williams was never going to live up to the hype he had a as a Heisman Trophy winner because of physical as well as emotional limitations.

In pressure games, against good competition, he's not too good, if he starts this Weekend, I'm hoping the D is at their very best..He will need them a lot.

I find this most interesting...

...because the truth in this situation is the FACT that NO ONE really knows how Griese will perform until it actually happens... Until he faces pressure against a good team NO ONE can really know. We all are HOPING that the change of scenery, system and scheme will have the effect of helping him overcome his previous weaknesses to mature into a more confident, driven athelete. Which is NOT unreasonable considering this exact think happened to Ricky Williams... But was Ricky just an exception? Who knows...? Is asking Brian to do what Ricky did like trying to capture lightening in a bottle,... twice?

We know what we get with Jay... But until the time comes when Brian gets the snot knocked out of him, gets up for the next play, stands confident in the pocket, makes his reads, and throws a strike to an open reciever, we just won't know, we can't know.... but we can hope...

I beg to differ. Ricky's detractors also said he was one-dimensional and could not break the big run.

That was one of his weakneses, along with his fumbling problem (which he still has), but not why he was traded. Ricky was a basket case in NO, nobody in the team liked him, he was a cancer in that team and that why he was let go. Aside from all the off the field stuff, on the field, Ricky was a great. Again, Ricky's problems more related to his mental state, and his off the field problems. On he other hand Broncos fans think that Brian is just not a good QB.

At least Brian knows what's up. after Monday nights game, all he seemed to do was complain about the offense's poor performance in the second half. He also said that we need to "hit more downfield plays" to get the seven man fronts off Rick.

We will have to wait no longer than this weekends game against Indy, to see how he handles a really good team.

This article is such BS. I can't believe some of you are falling in line with it. Hmmm maybe some folks can't let go of old #9.

I love how they say Griese got worse in Denver. No one mentions the injuries to Rod Smith, the release of Shannon Shapre, the injury to McAffery, or the terrible defense they had during that time. It was Griese who after a national championship, and a Pro Bowl, forgot how to play. Hah! That Denver team was old and banged up. Hell Jason Taylor lived in the backfield. They are horrible pass blockers. Not to mention the inuries and rotation at RB.

We don't need Griese to be a "savior". We just need a good QB who can be consistent and enough of a threat to keep defenses honest.

I think he does that for us.

This article is from a CBS writer who I would suspect is a New Yorker who would love to tear us down.

I think most fans feel the way I do. I saw enough to give us hope. Now we will see what happens next. If Brian can do it again this weekend against one of the top three teams in the league then we can feel confident we have our guy.

Its too early to ink him permanently but definitely more premature to dismiss him.

Originally posted by WestPhish

On he other hand Broncos fans think that Brian is just not a good QB.

That's key. The perception of Griese has been shaped to a large extent by the fans. As has Fiedler's reputation. We shall see what talent level emerges in a less caustic situation.

Amen! Griese got his reputation by the fans and the media... due to his off-field problems. He was miserable and didn't like the fans, as such the fans didn't like him. People became jaded about spending so much $$$ on a QB they didn't like, so they belittled his abilities. Its a classic case of depression on Griese's part... and I can't say that I blame him. The situation was just all wrong. Maybe that's how he is, maybe it was a product of the situation... either way we won't know unless we give him a chance. He sparked something on the O that Fiedler has not been able to... EMOTION. I could fall asleep watching the O the last few weeks... but this week they played like they enjoyed the game, like they were confident. I refuse to base my judgement of Griese on the opinions and bias of others. I WILL however give Griese a chance to proove himself to me. Say what you may about Denver... but in my book that was Brian Griese part 1... this is Brian Griese part 2... I'm of the belief that a change of scenery will do him a world of good ala Ricky. You have to admit Griese was impressive on Monday, if you cannot admit that then you are way to prone to the power of suggestion, and the belittling voices of jaded Bronco's fans. Griese is not perfect, but *gasp* neither was Marino. We don't need perfect, we need Fire, Spark, Inspiration... we need what Griese showed Monday night.

That's key. The perception of Griese has been shaped to a large extent by the fans. As has Fiedler's reputation. We shall see what talent level emerges in a less caustic situation.

I think in next few weeks we will know more about Griese.I have to admit I was excited watching him that first game but alot things fell into place in the game for him.I want to see him play against the COlts to see if he is the real deal.

Originally posted by fin-atic
This article is such BS. I can't believe some of you are falling in line with it. Hmmm maybe some folks can't let go of old #9.

I love how they say Griese got worse in Denver. No one mentions the injuries to Rod Smith, the release of Shannon Shapre, the injury to McAffery, or the terrible defense they had during that time. It was Griese who after a national championship, and a Pro Bowl, forgot how to play. Hah! That Denver team was old and banged up. Hell Jason Taylor lived in the backfield. They are horrible pass blockers. Not to mention the inuries and rotation at RB.

We don't need Griese to be a "savior". We just need a good QB who can be consistent and enough of a threat to keep defenses honest.

I think he does that for us.

This article is from a CBS writer who I would suspect is a New Yorker who would love to tear us down.

I think most fans feel the way I do. I saw enough to give us hope. Now we will see what happens next. If Brian can do it again this weekend against one of the top three teams in the league then we can feel confident we have our guy.

Its too early to ink him permanently but definitely more premature to dismiss him.

Fin atic, I'd be the first to let go of Jay if I thought we had something better, believe me. But I've watched BG play too. I earnestly can't say that he's any better, and actually I think he's a little bit worst than Jay. There's been a number of games Jay's won with his legs that BG would have lost with his arm. He decision making in pressure games just isn't that good, maybe with a smaller playbook and Norv's ability to take pressure off, maybe just maybe, but Ricky's not running great and the OL is playing below avg run blocking and avg pass blocking. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I see sack city coming on.

Originally posted by rickykicks@$$
With a O that can put up 28-34 points a game we can be good enough to be a threat to anybody.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves buddy. I mean, I know you're happy to see new blood at quarterback, but we only scored 26 points on the Chargers. The offense showed more pep, to be sure, but there are many other issues this offense needs to resolve before it can be counted on to rack up 28-34 points per game.

Really??????

The Dolphins can do worse than Griese. But they can do much better.

Okay, they can do better how? What is worse? We have three realistic choices, Fiedler, Griese and Sage. Thats it.

Griese had a nice game against a crappy defense. I am not ready to call him our savior. On the other hand, Fiedler really has done nothing this year to allow him to think that he is entrenched as our QB.

We don't need a savior, we need balance. When Griese and Jay play well they give us that. When they don't well things don't work out.

See how Griese does. We know what we have with Jay, lets see what Brian will do.

TexPhinPhan

Back
Top Bottom