Article on Drew Rosenhaus, our favorite agent | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Drew Rosenhaus, our favorite agent

BassFin said:
He's not as bad as people make him out to be. Dude is a workhorse too. For those who call him a scumbag, I'd like to see them do what he does for just one day. They'd gain a lot of respect for him.

He IS the best at what he does for a reason.
For what he makes in a day, no problem!:D

gofins said:
I love the fact that he uses the excuse that teams cancell contracts of players without any compensation but he tells players under contract to hold out.

He also conveniently forgets that the players get signing bonuses that they keep even if their contract gets cancelled, and then are free to receive another signing bonus from another team. Also, when an agent negotiates a backloaded contract he knows the latter years will never come to pass.
So, basically Drew is advising his clients to sign contracts that he knows will be cancelled, and then uses the cancellation as an excuse to advise his clients to hold out if they happen to have a good year.
He may be good at what he does, but that doesnt negate the fact that he(as well as most agents) are scum.

I would say that I don't particulary like his tactics or to see his name representing our players. But in his line of business that's a good thing. His job is to get the most possible money and best deals for his players he possibly can. You cannot fault a guy for that. In his line of business, if your liked by us and the owners you probably suck at what you do. :wink:
The other thing to remember is that the NFL is the only league with non guaranteed contracts. The owners can rip them up whenever they want and are not responsible for anything ecept the guaraunteed money (sometimes not even that pending the wording of the contract). So as much as I hate the money they make; they deserve it a lot mor than these baseball and basketball players.

BassFin said:
He's not as bad as people make him out to be. Dude is a workhorse too. For those who call him a scumbag, I'd like to see them do what he does for just one day. They'd gain a lot of respect for him.

He IS the best at what he does for a reason.
The business is a scumbag business. That's why we wouldn't do what he does for a day.

TarHeelFinFan said:
The business is a scumbag business. That's why we wouldn't do what he does for a day.

Exactly. Everybody hates lawyers, too... until they need one. Then they want the best at the game. (And no, I'm not a lawyer).

islandah said:
Exactly. Everybody hates lawyers, too... until they need one. Then they want the best at the game. (And no, I'm not a lawyer).
The difference is that lawyers serve a useful purpose in our society. Sports agents just drive up the cost of entertainment.

yankeehillbilly said:
He also conveniently forgets that the players get signing bonuses that they keep even if their contract gets cancelled, and then are free to receive another signing bonus from another team. Also, when an agent negotiates a backloaded contract he knows the latter years will never come to pass.
So, basically Drew is advising his clients to sign contracts that he knows will be cancelled, and then uses the cancellation as an excuse to advise his clients to hold out if they happen to have a good year.
He may be good at what he does, but that doesnt negate the fact that he(as well as most agents) are scum.
you cant be serious

He may be the best agent right now, but the fact is that sooner or later coachs and owners are going to get tired of his BS and start letting the players know they will not deal with Drew. He may get the players the money they want but he is also helping to slowly ruin the game.

I love it!!!

this guy is a beast. Have you ever heard that the only the strongest survive? He's like a fearless lion, defending and taking away the kill. People hate him cause he's a "sleazeball", and seems like a schmoozer but that's the line he's in and he's effective, and I personally would love to have him as my agent or work with him.

guido13 said:
I would say that I don't particulary like his tactics or to see his name representing our players. But in his line of business that's a good thing. His job is to get the most possible money and best deals for his players he possibly can. You cannot fault a guy for that. In his line of business, if your liked by us and the owners you probably suck at what you do. :wink:
The other thing to remember is that the NFL is the only league with non guaranteed contracts. The owners can rip them up whenever they want and are not responsible for anything ecept the guaraunteed money (sometimes not even that pending the wording of the contract). So as much as I hate the money they make; they deserve it a lot mor than these baseball and basketball players.

While I can't imagine any GM likes dealing with any agent, there does seem to be agents who are more "class acts" like Leigh than sleazy agents like Drew. REally, the comparison to car salesmen holds true. If a sleazy car salesmen sells the most cars the owner of the dealership will love him. But it doesn't mean any of the customers like dealing with him.

legendary137 said:
first of all, drew is a business man, a salesman , a great agent that gets his players deals that they want, if not better than what they expected. I live down here in south florida and occasionally run into him. Let me tell you, him and his brother are great guys. They aren't those flashy type of guys. When he's out there watching the fins practice, he's always up in the stands talking to people and just being a normal guy, wearing normal clothes. Wanny and speielman hated him cause they knew they cant win with him. People hate him cause he is the best at what he does. Me, I personally love what he does and the manner in which he does it. And if he was such a scumbag, why does he represent close to 100 of the nearly 3300 athletes in the NFL, most of which are the BIG names in the league. Don't blame him for the players siting out, yeah he has something to do with it but it's not like he's holding a gun to the players head. All he does is look out for his clients best interest. I do not agree with T.O. demanding more $, although he isn't paid as a top 2 receiver in the league and he certainly is , whith Harrison or Moss being the other. DON'T HATE THE PLAYER HATE THE GAME!!!!

:yeahthat:

Drew refused to work with Jay Fiedler.

You have to admire a guy with an eye for talent.

Drew Rosenhaus is scum. I think it should be illegal to hold out on a contract unless a special case is heard where a neutral third party comes in and makes the decision if it is legal or not (sort of like arbitration). If you sign a contract, you have to oblige to that contract, not hold out whenever you have a good year and demand more money. And it is not true that teams can cut players whenever without compensation. The team has to pay all the signing bonus' for each year of the contract up front, as well as paying for a certain percentage of each year's base salary. If the player is traded, the contract stays as is but to another team.

People like Drew Rosenhaus, Terrell Owens and Edgerrin James make me sick. I am embarassed that they represent my favorite business in the world, the NFL.

Well look at things in this light. Look at Drews clients. Now look at those players that are holding out and not going to the MANDATORY camps. Of those that are no shows, how many have Drew for an agent? See what I mean.

You'll see a majority of them are listening to Drew, and possibly damaging not only their careers but also the relationship with the players and the team.

Another thing, I think its total B.S. the way players demand/think they deserve more money! They see a top player in the same position as them get a huge contract and so therefore are acting like jealous toddlers seeing a friend get a bigger lolipop and then want one bigger. Its pathetic. And its not just in the NFL, the NBA is just as bad if not worse. Latrell Spreewell is the worst of the worse. No player can ever say they "need" more money, they simply want it so that can buy a few new cars and mansions. While the true victim of the whole system, the fan, gets screwed when the owner pays the toddler more, which forces ticket prices and such higher. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Back
Top Bottom