Asante Samuel, how much would it cost to sign him and would you do it? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante Samuel, how much would it cost to sign him and would you do it?

true.

but so so so worth it..
man i wouldve never guessed i would have missed sam and pat so much..

altough travis is coming along, we had the best ssecondary in the league for 4 or 5 years straight...
and now its almost pityful...
we need defensive help.
he would help.
although not at champ bailey money..
to get him wed gave to pay champ bailey money

well he did get a tatoo that says pay day, or pay me so the pats can keep his "all for the cash A**" I just lost all respect for this joker

id be willing to pay him close to champ bailey because he is an elite corner. last year he had the most interceptions along with champ bailey (they both had 10). If you play like the best then you deserve to get paid like the best.
we really need a corner too.

What are you talking about? Last year as in 2005? If thats what you are talking about then you are WAAAAY off. In 2005 Bailey had 8 picks, Samuel had 3. Samuel isn't a pro bowler and isnt a elite corner in this league. Now he may turn out to be an elite corner but as it stands now, just because you have 1 good season in terms of interceptions, doesnt make you elite. Being a good corner year in and year out consistently make you an elite corner and Samuel hasnt proven that yet. He doesnt deserve Champ Bailey money.

It's as tough of a decision as any can be. I would have to know everything about the off season progress of Poole and Mitchell. If there was any real chance that either one of these guys has total recovery from knee surgery and could possibly develope into a great corner, I'd say no too expensive. But if we are looking at Eddie Jackson and Michael Lehan; maybe we do have to make a radical move and pray the dude doesn't get hurt.

Just .2 cents in their .... about asante game style.His interception on most have been with safety help.Unlike champ bailey you cannot put him on a island with a WR.You give him safety help and he gets good as if he blows the safety is giving support.
Also,some are balls thrown wrongly i have not seen him go get his hand and fight for a ball ever.

Just .2 cents in their .... about asante game style.His interception on most have been with safety help.Unlike champ bailey you cannot put him on a island with a WR.You give him safety help and he gets good as if he blows the safety is giving support.
Also,some are balls thrown wrongly i have not seen him go get his hand and fight for a ball ever.
to get double digit interceptions in a season cant just be pure luck or safety help. He had to be doing something right.

to get double digit interceptions in a season cant just be pure luck or safety help. He had to be doing something right.
I am not discrediting him .But saying just because he make a big check does not mean you can throw him in a new system and except him to play the same .
I actually think he will have similar success with the jets as they run the same back field defence.

No, not worth the money he'll make. Had a big cntract year, made alot of mistakes because he gambled to make a lot of INT's, saw alot of him living uo here. NO WAY worth the money, let get OLine help instead.

Cap room 18 million
Top 9 pick - assume signs a contract with a signing bonus of 5 million and salary for 2007.
Now cap reduced to 13 million and roster spot open 11 for starters and then you need money for the 80 players for training camp start.All require some sort of money which eats the cap number too.

Asanta is going to get 9 million signing bonus at the minimum so that will drop the cap to 4-5 million.

Is 5 million enought to field 28 players for training camp and sign 11 starters at the end of cut off date?I have seen threads where people are talking about cutting 6 players for a gain of 9 million .which means they will have 14 million to get 28 players and 17 starters now.

No, I wouldnt do it. Not that we cant afford him, but that I would spend the money elsewhere.

I really believe that we dont need to use top money or a 1st day pick to upgrade our secondary.

Im of the belief that the reason Mueller hasnt even mentioned DB as an area of priority in the offseason is because he thinks of Jason Allen as a budding star.

He's only mentioned a rushing OLB as an area of priority on the Defense.

I personally think that if we can add say an (Adalius Thomas) to the pass rush...and move Jason Allen to CB and Travis Daniels to S...we can improve our secondary.

CB: Allen
NB: Goodman

FS: Daniels
SS: Bell
S/DB: Hill

Then I would add a DB in say the 4th round for added depth as well as bring Mitchell up from the practice squad to fill out the last roster spot.

I dont see t-dan as a corner

sometimes its worth overpaying someone...ok i know that sounds stupid. but we desperately need a shutdown corner who can cover fast receivers...obviously Will Allen, Travis Daniels, Andre Goodman have troubles doing that...who else is available as a CB in the free agency? If Asante Samuel is too much, like absurdly too much...im sure there are others we could sign. i hope Wayne can convince our players to take a generous paycut, restructure some contracts....bring in Adalius Thomas, Kris Dielman, Dante Stallworth. perhaps we could then DRAFT a CB...draft Leon Hall in the 2nd since he is apparently falling, or draft a CB with our 1st pick...there, we have 2 shutdown corners right there....Jason Allen and Yeremiah Bell at Safety...so our DB unit is one of the youngest and fastest in the NFL...we could then part ways with Will Allen and Renaldo Hill...save some money. unless ud rather move Jason Allen to CB and draft Laron Landry to put at FS. but i think Jason is better suited for FS.

in all...if Asante Samuel is gonna be like Lavar Arrington and want a ridiculous amount of money...hey as long as he isnt with the Patsies anymore, let him go elsewhere. But if one of our experts can convince him to come cheaper over here.....id take him anyday.

we should get this guy, he is among the best corners in the league. #1 corners are rare and well worth the money. we can get a good OLB in the draft like Gaines Adams in the 1st or Earl Everett in the 3rd or even Jon Beason in the 5th. #1 corners are rare, when you can get one you should

Asante Samuel just had an amazing year and hes an unrestricted free agent this year. Do we have the cap space to sign him and would you do it? It would make us stronger while making the patriots weaker.

Now that Nate Clements wants 9 mil a year, I'm sure Asante's price tag has gone up as well. I originally wanted one of these 2 guys, but it may not make sense for us.

Asante Samuel just had an amazing year and hes an unrestricted free agent this year. Do we have the cap space to sign him and would you do it? It would make us stronger while making the patriots weaker.

May as well forget him now. He just got the tag.

Back
Top Bottom