Asante Samuel trade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asante Samuel trade

Asante Samuel has proved that he's the 2nd best corner in the league. Another upside is that he's young and graduated from UCF. As stated earlier, he may want to return home & stay in the most competitive conference in the league. CB is definitely a huge priority we need to address!!

I'm hoping the Pats resign Samuel but if they can't come to terms on a contract I expect them to put the franchise tag on him. If you can't sign a player of his calibur then you tag him and atleast get some compensation from any team who throws a truck load of money at him.

He is a B.A. and Central Florida grad., he may want to come home?

EXACTLY. He is from Ft. Lauderdale, played at Central Florida.

Miami can offer him 2 things New England cannot.

#1 The ability to return home.
#2 No state income tax.

Who are you Wannstedt jr.? Trade away two picks for a free agent? It's this type of thinking that got the Dolphins in this mess. We've been trading away picks for far too long.

Two major problems I have with trading away picks for players.

1) It rarely turns out like you hoped it would (2 firsts for Ricky Williams with no playoffs, a 2nd for Feeley :fire:, etc.)
2) Your team gets old really fast.

EXACTLY. He is from Ft. Lauderdale, played at Central Florida.

Miami can offer him 2 things New England cannot.

#1 The ability to return home.
#2 No state income tax.

WELL-PUT!!

datruth55 = ASANTE IS YOUNG!! We would not be trading picks for him... he's a FA!!

I know alot of you guys dont like these "madden" trades, but what if we traded away our second and third rounder or something for Samuels. He is becoming one of the best corners in the league. I was watching him on Sunday and got pissed of everytime they threw the ball to his side. If hes not as good as Champ he's pretty close and only getting closer. I know you guys will argue that hes no where in his league, but when it comes the important playoff games or pressure situations this guy is always up for the challenge. We need a guy like that.

Two words.... FREE AGENT.
:dolphins:

Two words.... FREE AGENT.
:dolphins:

Just in case no one read the first 22 posts? Cut the guy some slack. And why do people keep pointing out he is a FA and then argue about why we shouldn't trade?

Does Miami even have a 2nd rounder?

Why are you here? What is up with this question?

No, we don't have a second rounder. We only have second round picks in the even years. Next year we won't have a first or third rounder.

I'm hoping the Pats resign Samuel but if they can't come to terms on a contract I expect them to put the franchise tag on him. If you can't sign a player of his calibur then you tag him and atleast get some compensation from any team who throws a truck load of money at him.

They will do this the same way the handle all of their big time FAs. If they lose him, they'll net a first round pick. Now that being said, If I am New Orleans, and am looking to pick a CB anyway, I make Assante Samuel my number one priority.

In our case, I don't think so.

Who are you Wannstedt jr.? Trade away two picks for a free agent? It's this type of thinking that got the Dolphins in this mess. We've been trading away picks for far too long.

Two major problems I have with trading away picks for players.

1) It rarely turns out like you hoped it would (2 firsts for Ricky Williams with no playoffs, a 2nd for Feeley :fire:, etc.)
2) Your team gets old really fast.

Don't leave out a second for Culpepper.

Just in case no one read the first 22 posts? Cut the guy some slack. And why do people keep pointing out he is a FA and then argue about why we shouldn't trade?

He is a FA that will still probably cost someone picks. Are none of you guys famaliar with the CBA? Come on guys, this gets frustrating after a while.

If NE is known for anything other than winning SBs, its that they are incredibly consistent on what they pay their FAs and what they'll get in return. Way back to when Curtis Martin was a RFA and Parcells lured him to the Jets....continued last year with Dieon Branch.

You may get the player, but the Patriots are going to get the draft picks.

The Patriots have figured out what they think AS is worth to them. They won't pay a nickel more. If he thinks hes worth more, he can go negotiate a deal with a willing team and that team can give the Patriots a first round pick.

They will then use the pick and the saved salary cap to just keep accumulating young talent and to be a top five NFL team every year.

If I were the Pats, I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat....imagine getting 2 day one draft picks for a guy that their likely not to be able to keep anyway ??

That said, as much as a high-profile FA CB is needed here, it's still not our biggest need. That money/draft picks could be better utilized on the OL, WR, DL, LB, etc....

He is a FA that will still probably cost someone picks. Are none of you guys famaliar with the CBA?
Yes, some of us are, but thanks for enlightening us, just in case.

I was trying to make the point that people shouldn't try to make this guy feel stupid for proposing a trade for a FA, and then in the same post argue that the Pats wouldn't take the deal.

Back
Top Bottom