Ask Brett Tessler | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Levi said:
why did you want to be an agent?
did you play ball in high school?
It's funny that you ask. Football was the only sport that I DIDN'T play in high school. I wanted to become an agent because I love sports and I love business. My mom is the biggest sports fan in the world and my dad's a great businessman. I guess you could say it's in my blood.

Disnardo said:
Brett, great to have you in this site and answering some of our questions. Thanks for taking mine.

Let's say that Wale Ogunleye sits out the 1st 10 games of the season because he and the Dolphins don't reach an agreement, so he will play the last 6 games and he will head into FA next year.
Let's say that the replacement DEs that the Dolphins will use will get a combined 10 sacks, and do a good job at run stopping.

My question is this: How will this poduction, by these other DEs, affect Wale's future contract at the end of the season?

Disnardo
Negotiating is all about leverage. If the team finds another player who can adequately replace Ogunleye, one of the two will become trade-bait after the season. Usually it's the one who costs the most money. The same goes for any other player on the team.

Brett Tessler said:
It's funny that you ask. Football was the only sport that I DIDN'T play in high school. I wanted to become an agent because I love sports and I love business. My mom is the biggest sports fan in the world and my dad is a great businessman. I guess you could say it's in my blood.
what is ur favorite sport?
who is ur favoite athelete of all time?

Brett Tessler said:
There have been many gratifying moments. One that immediately comes to mind is when Ozzie Newsome (general manager of the Baltimore Ravens) called to sign one of my players. Ozzie was my hero when he played for the Browns in the 80's. When he left me a voicemail I played it for my mom, my cousin, my friends, and everybody else I know.
Man you must have been beaming after that. I could just imagine my secretary telling me "Excuse me, there is a Mr. Marino on the phone for you. Do you want to take the call?"

So the obvious follow up question is what has been the lowest point? Was there ever a point where you didn't think you were cut-out to be an agent and think of giving it up?

Thx again!

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:
hey brett,
how long have you been in the Agency business?
How often do you represent a football player that is from a small school?
I've been in the business 8 years. I'll go after any small-school guy that I feel has a legitimate shot of making it. I currently represent players from such schools as Carson-Newman, East Tennessee State, and Saginaw Valley State.

Brett Tessler said:
I've been in the business 8 years. I'll go after any small-school guy that I feel has a legitimate shot of making it. I currently represent players from such schools as Carson-Newman, East Tennessee State, and Saginaw Valley State.
thanks Brett...

ptmn said:
I want to get into the sports agent business, and was wondering how often you are faced with the dilemma of ethics? How hard is it to compete for some players when agents are doing illegal things to attract them? I read a lot about these kinds of practices and wondering if I should believe all of this. Would you recommend anything that could prepare someone for the world of sports agents?

Thanks

Pete Malinosky
Pete,
Believe everything you read. Any business as competitive and lucrative as this one is sure to attract it's share of scumbags. When I go to the yearly agent seminar and look around the room I get sick to my stomach. There are too many certified agents, but not enough good ones. While it's hard to recruit certain players when other agents aren't playing by the rules, those aren't the kind of players you want anyway. That's why the first thing I do when scouting a player is look into his character. If I see that a guy has been a problem I immediately know what kind of agent he'll be looking for and I won't waste my time pursuing him. I want guys who have enough sense to sign with an agent based on what he can do for their career, not what he's willing to give them in the way of cash, cars, or other inducements. If anybody makes a demand that I find unethical, I simply tell them NO.

Have you ever had a player hold out or a case where you just couldn't get a deal done with a team??

BSQX4 said:
Brett, I also live in Plantation. An area called Plantation Isles. I grew up in Miami Beach but really like living in Plantation. Could you evaluate the job Spielman has done as G.M. in an impartial way. What do you think of Feeley, did we pull the trigger too fast. Should we have gone for Jeff Garcia? Do you like Vernon Carey as our first round pick. Have we done enough to improve our O-Line? Do you think Boston will work out? Do you think Ogun will eventually sign? I think he needs a reality check. Alot of guys have put up numbers opposite Jason Taylor. Look at Mixon, Armstrong and Bromell, none of these guys has duplicated the success they had playing accross from Taylor. He's not worth what he's asking. Yes, I want very badly for him to be on the Dolphins but he has to come out of the clouds on his demands. This is my opinion, what's yours. Thanks, you've been a great addition to this site. This site is much more fun when the season starts, you'll see!
For the most part I think Spielman has done a solid job. The one area that still concerns me is offensive line. Vernon Carey should develop into a fine player, but I'm not sure how much of an impact he'll make this season. In regards to the Feeley situation and if we should have waited for another quarterback, hindsight will be 20/20. Lastly, there's no doubt that Ogunleye benefited from playing opposite Jason Taylor. However, none of the other guys you mentioned put up numbers close to Ogunleye's. My opinion is that he's probably going to get more than what the Dolphins are offering, but less than what he's asking for.

Thanks Brett, Call me a homer but I see Vernon Carey coming right in and playing very well at RT. At Q.B., the only guy I got excited about was Jeff Garcia. The injury factor seemed to be a major concern along with the always present mega-millions demanded by any Quarterback who ever made the Probowl as either a player or a spectator!!What I like about Jeff Garcia is his ability to make something out of nothing. The guy is a playmaker and if healthy would have excelled as a Dolphin. Of course, all this is merely my opinion but hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day. By the way another reason why the O-Line may surprise us is Jeno James. I think we got ourselves a very good player. Good job by Rick.

Levi said:
what is ur favorite sport?
who is ur favoite athelete of all time?
My favorite sport is definitely football, and I've had too many favorite athletes over the years to name just one.

Edited: :lol: Who's there? You, behind the computer screen. Unhand me!
Identify yourself!!!!

Staff Edit: It's me, Russell Case sir. I told ya I wouldn't let you down....

This post has been stuck for so long I guess I'll read it next time I'm online. I haven't read it since the first day. I have alot of reading coming up I guess. :rolleyes:

Right now? :sleep:

Dude said:
So the obvious follow up question is what has been the lowest point? Was there ever a point where you didn't think you were cut-out to be an agent and think of giving it up?

Thx again!
In this business there's plenty of low points. It's terrible to see one of your players get injured or released. It's also very disappointing when a player signs with another agent who you know isn't as good as you. The nature of this business is that you either win big or lose big... no in between. In fact, most agents fail much more often than they succeed. The key to surviving is to believe in what you're doing and stay the course. This is exactly what I've always wanted to be, so I've never had any real thoughts about giving it up.

Back
Top Bottom