Ask Brett Tessler | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

NJPHINFAN said:
Give us your feelings on the "back loaded" contracts that are rarely ever paid by the teams. When a player sits down to sign on the dotted line and he sees the last year of the contract paying 7 million, when the other 3 years are paying 2 or 3 million, does he really think he will see that money? Does signing a back loaded contract provide anything for the player other than a guaranteed renegotiate or trip to the waiver wire?

Thanks again for your time.
When a player signs a backloaded contract they understand that at some point they'll either be asked to renegotiate or get cut. The reason teams do backloaded deals is to spread out the cap hit of the signing bonus over an additional season. It's really just a clever way to circumvent the salary cap.

MDolphins2004 said:
Hello Brett,

I do have a couple questions for you..... ;)

1) Is there nothing that Tim Couch can do....? (I mean if a player is under contract and holds out......They get hit will fines....So why can a Team not get hit with a Fine if the player is under contract and the team will not allow him to use the facilities and work out.... :(......!!!!!!!!!!!)

2) Do you think that not having Guaranteed Contracts in the NFL is why players ask for (LOL) 10 year 100 million dollar contracts.......Knowing they might see 2-4 years of the contract if they are lucky....? Do you think the NFL will improve the CAP & Guarantee Contracts within my lifetime..lol.........:)

3) What players do you represent? How did you get started......?

4) Are you close with your players or just another $$$ sign........?
1) Tim Couch is at the mercy of the Cleveland Browns right now. They can make whatever decisions they want regarding his workouts.

2) The fact that we have non-guaranteed contracts makes it very important for players to get the most up-front money they can. In order for us to ever get guaranteed contracts, the players union is going to have to bargain for it.

3) I currently represent 15 NFL players (I don't like to divulge my client list), and you can read about how I got started in one of my earlier posts.

4) I'm very close with my players and I view them as much more than just $$$!

Question:
Why are you here?

Don't take this the wrong way, obviously we are all thrilled to welcome you to the forum and hover on every insider word you type... But do you get anything out of posting here as an agent, or are you doing it b/c you are also just a crazed fan like the rest of us? :goof:

Dude said:
Question:
Why are you here?

Don't take this the wrong way, obviously we are all thrilled to welcome you to the forum and hover on every insider word you type... But do you get anything out of posting here as an agent, or are you doing it b/c you are also just a crazed fan like the rest of us? :goof:
I'm here because I enjoy interacting with fans. Without fans there would be no players, and without players there would be no agents. When I was breaking into the business, I tried contacting a handful of established agents for advice and none of them gave me the time of day. That's when I decided that if I made it I would always be accessible. I enjoy speaking at schools, doing radio interviews, bringing my players into the community, and everything else that goes with it. Phinzone.com asked me to be a guest on their site last year, and when they merged I gladly switched here.

I appreciate the advice you have given us from phinzone to finheaven. Thanks Brett.

I also wanted to know are there a lot of sports agencies located in Florida?
And do you know of any requirements needed to get an internship for their programs?

Thanks
Pete

Junoir 61503 said:
Welcome Brett,
My question is if you ever been to single nfl player party's like the Cowboys use to have with the White House and that stuff.In other words have you partied with them and if you don't mind sharing a story or something if you have one,thanks again.
It's classified... If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

bryan allen said:
Peytons agent will be negotiating a contract for Chad Pennington in the near future. Do you think he can financially cripple our hated division opponent?
Teams are much smarter about the salary cap these days than ever before. I'm sure the Jets have long been preparing themselves for this deal. Mike Tannenbaum is in charge of the Jets' salary cap and he's one of the best in the biz.

Do you think that the Seahawks overpaid for Grant Wistrom?? Check that, I'll ask in another way. Do you think Grant Wistrom got a great deal from Seattle?? :tongue:

How about Jevon Kearse's deal with Philly?? $20 million in bonus (16 + two $2 million roster bonuses) seems like a lot for a DE. Heck, that's seems enormous even for a QB.

What's your take on this sudden surge in pay for DEs. How much of a ripple effect will it have on ALL new contracts?? Just seems like things went sky high in a hurry.

Finally, Ogunleye's contract. Give us your best guess as to what the contract will look like (years, bonus, total). :)

Brett Tessler said:
I'm here because I enjoy interacting with fans. Without fans there would be no players, and without players there would be no agents. When I was breaking into the business, I tried contacting a handful of established agents for advice and none of them gave me the time of day. That's when I decided that if I made it I would always be accessible. I enjoy speaking at schools, doing radio interviews, bringing my players into the community, and everything else that goes with it. Phinzone.com asked me to be a guest on their site last year, and when they recently merged I switched here.
thx!

What has been your most gratifying moment as an agent thus far?

Brett, I know their are alot of ways to circumvent the cap,and I was just wondering that if in most cases, doesnt these end up really hurting a team in 3,4 years down the road (like the 49ers,and some others). I know their are different ways to work these things, but why I worry is that because I know the Dolphins have reworked alot of deals over the past few years, like Zach and others, and are now soon going to have to deal with Olgun,Chambers, and more, so I am hoping that none of this is going to put the Dolphins in terrible shape 3,4 years down the road as well. I appreciate your thoughts,thanks, Dan

MarSly said:
Any chance Trent Gamble could be resigned.He was to physical on special teams to just forget about him.
Trent will continue rehabbing throughout this season and most likely come back in 2005.

touborg said:
Hi Brett. Your time here is really appreciated sir!

You've given a lot of professional insight, so I thought i'd ask a more personal question

Which is your favorite NFL team? (and be honest!)

=)
The biggest drawback in becoming an agent is that you stop looking at things from a fan's perspective. Now I judge teams based on how many players I have with them and how much I enjoy dealing with the different front offices. I grew up loving the Dolphins and attending every home game with my parents, so it was a thrill to start dealing with them on a professional level.

Brett Tessler said:
The biggest drawback in becoming an agent is you stop looking at things from a fan's perspective. Now I judge teams based on how many players I have with them and how well I get along with the different front offices. I grew up attending every Dolphins home game with my parents, so it was a real thrill to start dealing with them on a professional level.
that m/b tough since I w/want to have my (theoretical) clients all hold out for big signing bonuses and l-t deals if they are Jets or Bills and negotiate cap-friendly deals with Phins.

How much have you seen players be more ameniable to giving up $$$ to sign with a favorite team or team that they want to join because of SB hopes ?

Jason Gildon

Hi Brett , what is the status of jason Gildon? Is miami interested at all? gabe

Back
Top Bottom