Ask Brett Tessler | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

C0dy said:
Brett is Ricky the best in the league, or will his marijuana incidents come up to bite him in the ***? I love Ricky and all but i beleive Jamal has taken his spot. Also how do you become an Agent? Send soon Brett!!!!
Cody,
Thanks a lot for your question. There's no doubt that Ricky is one of the top running backs in the league along with Jamal Lewis and LaDanian Tomlinson. His recent problems are a setback, but hopefully he will learn his lesson and come back stronger than ever. In order to become an agent you need to work really hard, learn a lot about the business, and get people to believe in you. Also, like anything else in life you need to stick with it! Catch you later.

Brett Tessler said:
Cody,
Thanks a lot for your question. There's no doubt that Ricky is one of the top running backs in the league along with Jamal Lewis and LaDanian Tomlinson. His recent problems are a setback, but hopefully he will learn his lesson and come back stronger than ever. In order to become an agent you need to work really hard, learn a lot about the business, and get people to believe in you. Also, like anything else in life you need to stick with it! Catch you later.
do you have to go to college?

do you think that there should be a sallary cap?
who is your favorite player?
has a player done something that you didnt want them to do?like signing with a team for a low contract when you have found a better one?

Welcome Brett,
My question is if you ever been to single nfl player party's like the Cowboys use to have with the White House and that stuff.In other words have you partied with them and if you don't mind sharing a story or something if you have one,thanks again.

Peytons agent will be negotiating a contract for Chad Pennington in the near future. Do you think he can financially cripple our hated division opponent?

Any chance Trent Gamble could be resigned.He was to physical on special teams to just forget about him.

I think the Phins signed Chris Akins for that role.

Hi Brett. Your time here is really appreciated sir!

You've given a lot of professional insight, so I thought i'd ask a more personal question

Which is your favorite NFL team? (and be honest!)

=)

xiidaen said:
Brett,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our question, and providing some great insight 'behind the curtain' as it were.

Any tips for how a fan can make a positive impression on an athlete or sports figure upon meeting them? Any 'rabid fan' horror stories you can share as anecdotes?

Again, thanks for the time.
The best way to make a positive impression is to just be yourself. Approach them in the same manner you'd like to be approached. Most players are appreciative of the fans and go out of their way to be accommodating to them. After all, playing in the NFL is a privilege and an honor and you guys are the ones who make it possible.

Aside from a stalker here or there, most of the people we encounter are really cool. I'll tell you about the groupies later...

VManis said:
Drew has threaten that if they don’t reach an agreement on a contract that Ogun would sit out the first 10 games of the season and return for the last 6 in order to gain his eligibility for FAs. Wally isn’t the first RFA to reach an impasse with his team but this is the first time I have heard a player make this threat. Have other players used this tactic or is Drew breaking new ground? Is there some counter measure the Phins could use to thwart this ploy?
This is a standard threat to try and force the team to give them what they want. It isn't groundbreaking, and the Dolphins can't do anything about it other than trade him or cut him.

rhadaddy said:
I havent read through this entire thread so I don't know if this question has been asked.

I assuming that since you have 15 clients that you represent, you have people that you work with, i.e. secretaries, lawyers, etcc.. ala Arliss style. or am I completely wrong? The resaon I ask is with the two F##K ups this offseason with agents not doing simple things like sending certified letters by a deadline for their marquee players. Is this something that a secretary or pa handles and the agent just does the negotiating and shmoozing, therefore a couple of people got fired becasue of that mistake or is it the agents oversight, therefore, they should be fired. Either way what's your thoughts on those two incidents (Northcutt, Owens). From ths outside it looks like bafoonery, but maybe you could shed some light as to how and why that could happen.
I have nobody working under me. I do everything on my own for the exact reasons you just mentioned. Some agents represent more players than they can handle. I'm more about personal attention.

Yet another question...

What are your thoughts on Terrell Buckley doing his own negotiating with the team of his choice and do you think that will be a trend? I believe that I read somewhere that he was able to save himself about $22,000. by doing that which his agent normally does.

And...How much do these players actually make? Suppose a player gets a 1 year -- 3 million dollar contract...how much does he actually see of that after agent fees and taxes?

Pink_Dove said:
Hey Brett,
I was just wondering if you dabble in your clients personal affairs...
Touchy subject, but say you knew a player's performance was declining because of drugs or because of his lack of commitment, would you be afraid to talk about it to him or...
How have you dealt with similar issues as an agent ?
I'm not afraid to discuss ANYTHING with my guys. We have a close relationship and they know I'm always looking out for their best interests. If there's something they need to know, it's my job to tell them. Over the years I've seen many players jeopardize their health, family, career, and financial well-being. It's a shame that some agents simply allow their clients to self-destruct and in some cases enable them. I recently had a player on an NFL roster who was diagnosed with a serious neck condition and the doctors recommended he stop playing. I told him if he continued trying to play he'd need to find a new agent because I couldn't be a part of it if anything happened to him. Fortunately, he retired.

Brett Tessler said:
I'm not afraid to discuss ANYTHING with my guys. We have a close relationship and they know I'm always looking out for their best interests. If there's something they need to know, it's my job to tell them. Over the years I've seen many players jeopardize their health, family, career, and financial well-being. It's a shame that some agents simply allow their clients to self-destruct and in some cases enable them. I recently had a player on an NFL roster who was diagnosed with a serious neck condition and the doctors recommended he stop playing. I told him if he continued trying to play he'd need to find a new agent because I couldn't be a part of it if anything happened to him. Fortunately, he retired.

an agent with integrity? I didn't know such things existed. The only thing I know that is more hated in sports in a referee. Have you ever had to deal with negative fan reaction just because of people's negative feelings towards agents?

Levi said:
i heard that it says that in there contracts, they cant practice any other sport like snowboarding or skiing, because they could risk injury? is that true? because i didnt think it was, but i wouldnt know, i'm only a 14 year old farm boy from Iowa.
That's a great question. The contracts have clauses in them that discourage players from participating in any hazardous activities away from football. However, it's unrealistic to think that during the offseason guys aren't going to do certain things they enjoy doing (such as skiing or hunting). They just have to be smart about it and realize that if they get hurt, the team can release them and owe them nothing.

Back
Top Bottom