Ask Brett Tessler | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Brett, Do you have any faith in the braintrust of this organization, specifically our New OC, Wanny and Wayne? Can they use this Ricky retirement (and the loss of a 3.8 YPC guy) to think outside the box and try something new and abandon some of the things that didn't work in the past or will they use Ricky's retirement as a crutch for losses?

LIQUID24 said:
Hey Brett, what do you think of teams wanting longer contracts for rookies? Does it make for tougher negotiations?

Do you prefer the slightly extra bonus money in exchange for an extra year on the contract?
If possible, you never want a rookie client drafted after the 2nd round to sign anything longer than a 3-year deal. The reason is because players become restricted free agents after their third season and have their first opportunity to test the market. These 4 and 5-year deals that certain teams are forcing their rookies to take are unfair and there's nothing that can be done about it because you can't hold out a late-round pick.

FinsOnTop said:
Brett,

Granted, but can you define 'hot commodity'? When Oronde Gadsen refused to sign with Miami and test the waters, everyone but he and his agent knew he should have been happy with the offer to stay. Keenan McCardel is doing the same thing right now with the Bucs; he wants #1 receiver money and everyone knows he's not worth more than the $2+ million he's under contract for. So who tells you your player is a hot commodity? Other owners/GM's? That sounds ridiculous because they're just trying to get you out in the open and then get you for the lowest price. Who do you believe?
It's the agent's job to ascertain what kind of demand his player will have in free agency. That process involves using professional experience, opinions, and common sense. By the way, the McCardell situation does not apply here because he's still under contract.

Brett, now that we got rid of EG, we hear up here in nashville that you have a handshake deal wit reese to get 42 resigned.........the safety spot is the only place we are not deep.......and scott is a ST ace and he actualy played alot on D last yr because of all our secondary injuries..........we'd like him back what are the chance of it occuring realistically and does he want to come back???

Muck said:
Flat out.....what do you think would be a fair contract for Wale given the other deals signed this offseason?? And what do you think would be a fair contract if this were last year (and those monsterous, overpaying deals had not happened yet)??
Without giving you a specific number, I believe Wale should be among the highest paid defensive ends in the league. When you look at what guys like Kearse and Wistrom just got (regardless if you think they were overpaid), it could easily be argued that Wale has been as good if not better than both of them. There's no question that these signings have increased his value over last year's market, but to what degree is debatable.

Sherif said:
Brett, Do you have any faith in the braintrust of this organization, specifically our New OC, Wanny and Wayne? Can they use this Ricky retirement (and the loss of a 3.8 YPC guy) to think outside the box and try something new and abandon some of the things that didn't work in the past or will they use Ricky's retirement as a crutch for losses?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Brett Tessler said:
Without giving you a specific number, I believe Wale should be among the highest paid defensive ends in the league. When you look at what guys like Kearse and Wistrom just got (regardless if you think they were overpaid), it could easily be argued that Wale has been as good if not better than both of them. There's no question that these signings have increased his value over last year's market, but to what degree is debatable.
to me Kearse and Wistrom are not really relevant since they were unrestricted FA and OGun is a restricted FA, i.e. OGun can get that money next year, but this year he is worth less since he has no leverage other than sitting out - your thoughts ?

dolphan39 said:
to me Kearse and Wistrom are not really relevant since they were unrestricted FA and OGun is a restricted FA, i.e. OGun can get that money next year, but this year he is worth less since he has no leverage other than sitting out - your thoughts ?
You're wrong... He can't get that money next year because after this season the Dolphins will place the "Franchise Tag" on him and he'll be right back in the same predicament. Might as well get it settled now.

Brett Tessler said:
You're wrong... He can't get that money next year because after this season the Dolphins would place the "Franchise Tag" on him and he'd be right back in the same predicament. Might as well get it over with now.
good point - maybe he'll just retire :goof: :cry:

bongo59 said:
Brett, now that we got rid of EG, we hear up here in nashville that you have a handshake deal wit reese to get 42 resigned.........the safety spot is the only place we are not deep.......and scott is a ST ace and he actualy played alot on D last yr because of all our secondary injuries..........we'd like him back what are the chance of it occuring realistically and does he want to come back???
Sorry, but I can't comment right now. All I can tell you is that something will be finalized VERY soon. Stay tuned...

Brett Tessler said:
You're wrong... He can't get that money next year because after this season the Dolphins will place the "Franchise Tag" on him and he'll be right back in the same predicament. Might as well get it settled now.

So because a player has the "franchise player" tag placed on him, he cannot get a large contract? I would say that you're wrong and of course O-Gun would get the money next year, especially since, under your scenario, he was tagged.

Clumpy said:
So because a player has the "franchise player" tag placed on him, he cannot get a large contract? I would say that you're wrong and of course O-Gun would get the money next year, especially since, under your scenario, he was tagged.
Please explain.

Brett Tessler said:
Please explain.
obviously, OGun w/get loads of money if he were tagged, he w/just not get any signing bonus or long-term security and Phins w/not get an cap relief by prorating a bonus and back loading the contract. At least that is what I think Clump meant :D

Instead of using the term "You're wrong" how about using "I disagree"

The only thing the "franchise tag" does is restrict the ability of the player to negotiate with other teams. Almost every player "tagged" have rec'd market value contracts with large upfront bonuses.

Back
Top Bottom