Ask Brett Tessler | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Clumpy said:
Instead of using the term "You're wrong" how about using "I disagree".
When something's a matter of opinion you can agree or disagree... When it's a matter of fact you can only be right or wrong. I meant no offense by what I said, and based on dolphan39's response I don't think any was taken.

dolphan39 said:
obviously, OGun w/get loads of money if he were tagged, he w/just not get any signing bonus or long-term security and Phins w/not get an cap relief by prorating a bonus and back loading the contract. At least that is what I think Clump meant :D
That's correct, but all of the things you just mentioned are no different than what he gets right now as a high-tendered restricted free agent. I know that these "tender offer" and "franchise tag" numbers seem huge to you and I, but in the world of an NFL star you need a multi-year deal with up-front money (and you get neither on a franchise tender or restricted free agent tender). If Wale's not willing to take it now, he won't be willing to take it next year.

Brett, can you respond to this report, ---- [Sun-Sentinel] "Williams may want to curtail his extensive sightseeing because the Dolphins are expected to attempt recouping roughly $8 million that was paid to him if the tailback follows through on plans to leave the team.

An NFL source said Monday that the restructured contract Williams agreed to with the Dolphins in 2002 allows the franchise to reclaim about $4.7 million paid to him the past two seasons through incentive clauses should he quit before the end of his contract in 2006. The Dolphins also would try recouping $3.3 million of the $8.8 million signing bonus Williams received from New Orleans after being the fifth player selected in the 1999 draft.

The practical intent of recoupment provisions included in Williams' contract was to protect the Dolphins against a potential holdout. But the league source said they also are applicable if Williams retires before fulfilling the final three seasons remaining on the eight-year contract he signed as a rookie with New Orleans." -- I was just wondering if you thought Miami did have a good chance at recouping that 8 million, and what exactly might take place in all that ? Thanks again ,Dan

dolphindan1970 said:
Brett, can you respond to this report, ---- [Sun-Sentinel] "Williams may want to curtail his extensive sightseeing because the Dolphins are expected to attempt recouping roughly $8 million that was paid to him if the tailback follows through on plans to leave the team.

An NFL source said Monday that the restructured contract Williams agreed to with the Dolphins in 2002 allows the franchise to reclaim about $4.7 million paid to him the past two seasons through incentive clauses should he quit before the end of his contract in 2006. The Dolphins also would try recouping $3.3 million of the $8.8 million signing bonus Williams received from New Orleans after being the fifth player selected in the 1999 draft.

The practical intent of recoupment provisions included in Williams' contract was to protect the Dolphins against a potential holdout. But the league source said they also are applicable if Williams retires before fulfilling the final three seasons remaining on the eight-year contract he signed as a rookie with New Orleans." -- I was just wondering if you thought Miami did have a good chance at recouping that 8 million, and what exactly might take place in all that ? Thanks again ,Dan
Dan,
Assuming that the bonus language in Ricky's contract is standard, the Dolphins would have every right to recoup that money. Right now they'll wait and see, but if he doesn't come back they'll certainly go after it at some point.

Thanks Brett, I hate to see it, but if Ricky is going to retire and left us on short notice and may have cost us from getting another quality back by his timing, I hope we re-coup every bit of it.I dont mind Ricky retiring, thats his choice and his right, so I dont blame himfor that, but I do however blame him for the timing of it. I honestly have thought that he had this "thunk" out, because with this timing, his friend Travis Minor falls into the spot. I have always like Minor myself and think he will do a good job and look forward to seeing him, I just have suspicions though that Ricky's timing was for that purpose. Thanks again Brett....Dan

Thanks Brett

congrats on getting Scott back on the Titans roster. All of here in Nashville really like what he brings to the game, and most all of the fans are hip on his intensity.

When you speak to him, tell him to go all out all the time, and don't lose the fire that he has.

The Don said:
congrats on getting Scott back on the Titans roster. All of here in Nashville really like what he brings to the game, and most all of the fans are hip on his intensity.

When you speak to him, tell him to go all out all the time, and don't lose the fire that he has.
Thank you, I will.

brett you sneaky devil........i knew scott would re up.........now that it is done can you tell us about the handshake deal at all.............and tell me from an agents perspective how do you like reese and is he a good guy or bad guy??? he is taking serious heat here lately for making the right call on EG.........but i think he has done a wonderful job transforming our roster and keeping us winning........

bongo59 said:
brett you sneaky devil........i knew scott would re up.........now that it is done can you tell us about the handshake deal at all.............and tell me from an agents perspective how do you like reese and is he a good guy or bad guy??? he is taking serious heat here lately for making the right call on EG.........but i think he has done a wonderful job transforming our roster and keeping us winning........
Floyd Reese is a great football man and talent evaluator, but he's known for doing things at a slow pace. Nobody can argue with the success he's had as the Titans' general manager. All the previous reports of a "handshake deal" between us and the Titans were untrue. In the NFL you don't have a deal until a contract is signed.

slow?????????..........we had no cash to resign him until EG left ..........we are very glad to have him back..........and glad EG left

bongo59 said:
slow?????????..........we had no cash to resign him until EG left ........
Exactly, and the EG (Eddie George) situation dragged on a lot longer than it needed to. Either way, we're happy the deal finally got done.

Brett, I wpould like toi ask you a question about this report------- Meanwhile, Dogra is optimistic that an extension can be reached for another client: WR Chris Chambers. The agent says he has no problem working within the two-tiered bonus structure Ogunleye/Rosenhaus seem to be resisting.

''You'd always rather get all of the money up front, but their structure doesn't bother me,'' Dogra said. "As long as they're willing to work with the money I want, I can work with their structure.''
-------- My question is, why does Wale and agent Rosenhaus seem to dislike and are resisting this 2 tier step the Dolphins normally take. It seems they are close on the money aspect but this part seems to be the big holdup. The agent for Chambers I think makes a good point that , "As long as they're willing to work with the money I want, I can work with their structure.''
I just dont understand if the Dolphins are willing to compromise and reach the $$$ money part why Wale and his side cant do the same with the 2 tier system since its just spread over 2 years and would help the Dolphins cap numbers as well. Thanks Brett, Dan

I would say it's a different negotiating philosophies between the agents and also a willingness on the part of the player to accept that deal. One thing about 2 tiered signing bonuses: it really only saves cap space in the 1st yr of the deal

Clumpy said:
I would say it's a different negotiating philosophies between the agents and also a willingness on the part of the player to accept that deal. One thing about 2 tiered signing bonuses: it really only saves cap space in the 1st yr of the deal
Clumpy, I Thank you and appreciate your knowledge and input in answering this. Your a pretty good guy, now if we could only get you straightened out and following the Dolphins and Bush,Cheney you might make it !!! :roflmao: Just kidding my friend ! You dont know me real well I know, but I assure you, I love to cut up and joke and have a good time ! ;)

dolphindan1970 said:
Brett, I wpould like to ask you a question about this report------- Meanwhile, Dogra is optimistic that an extension can be reached for another client: WR Chris Chambers. The agent says he has no problem working within the two-tiered bonus structure Ogunleye/Rosenhaus seem to be resisting.

''You'd always rather get all of the money up front, but their structure doesn't bother me,'' Dogra said. "As long as they're willing to work with the money I want, I can work with their structure.''
-------- My question is, why does Wale and agent Rosenhaus seem to dislike and are resisting this 2 tier step the Dolphins normally take. It seems they are close on the money aspect but this part seems to be the big holdup. The agent for Chambers I think makes a good point that , "As long as they're willing to work with the money I want, I can work with their structure.''
I just dont understand if the Dolphins are willing to compromise and reach the $$$ money part why Wale and his side cant do the same with the 2 tier system since its just spread over 2 years and would help the Dolphins cap numbers as well. Thanks Brett, Dan
Dan,
The question is whether or not both tiers of the signing bonus are guaranteed. In some contracts the second tier is not guaranteed and the team can release a player without having to pay him the other half. I'm not sure what the case is here.

Back
Top Bottom