Ask Brett Tessler | Page 43 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Brett,
have you heard anything of the Scout Camp Combines? Is this a good free agent combine? Also, I plan on attending a combine this summer, and wanted to know if an agent is required, or recommended before trying out. Thanks.

Hi Brett...

I'd like to get your take on the current state of contracts in the NFL.

It seems that the only party that is actually held to the contract is the player. It is at the sole discretion of the owners as to whether or not to honor the entire length of the contract that they signed and for all intents and purposes, couldn't one argue that the owners are entering into these contracts in bad faith knowing that they will never actually have to pay a large portion of the money?

Do you think that this will be addressed in the next CBA and do you think that this issue could possibly lead to a strike or a lockout?

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Brett thanks for taking time out to answer our questions. Who do you think in your opinion would be the QB best suited to the Dolphins, coming out of the draft.

So Brett....can you give us an update on the McIntosh situation? Are things heating up with the contract talks or have things cooled down right now?

Hi Brett. I posted this question in the main forum and was wondering if you might know the answer:

Will we have to alternate draft positions each round with all of the other 9-7 teams?

I wasn't really sure how that worked and wondered if someone could explain how our draft position would be handled. Will we be switching up each round with the other 9-7 teams or will we be 1st out of all of them every round?

Link:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=120259

ChasFinPhanatic said:
Brett, What is the latest scope on the getting a new collective bargining agreement done? Will this cause a flood of Jr classman to declare for the draft next year in order to miss a new rookie signing cap? Also is there benefit to veteran players to not sign long term deals right now until the deal does get done. Thanks for all of your time and insights, Grady

Grady,
For the most part, things seem to be moving pretty slowly with the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Like most deals in the NFL, it probably won't get done until it needs to. I think you've already seen the effect it's having on underclassmen as it's a major part of the reason why Vince Young decided to come out early.

hdjetta6316 said:
Brett,
Just wishing you good luck on D-Macs contract/Cap issue. It was a real treat to have an effective O-line this year. I kinda feel bad when i heaped so much critism on the O-line last year, and then with almost the same personell and a new coach they played much better. Actually they were tops in the league in some stats! Kinda shows how a Good player in the wrong enviroment is inefective... So what i was wondering is do players honestly look at themselves and see where they would be the most effective? Or do they try to follow the dollar signs even if they know they wont be playing to the best of their abilities. Or do they kinda compromise on both accounts for good money and a good fit? Thanks for the Input...And D-mac: Great Year!!!

I think it's a combination of both. You want as much money as the market is willing to offer, but if you put yourself in a bad situation you won't be making the money for long.

thejetssuck said:
Hey Brett, what players are you representing in this upcoming draft?

I haven't been very active with the college recruiting this year. Since I have more clients than ever before, I felt it best to pull back a little bit. I'll still have a couple of good ones by the time the draft rolls around, but you never want to bite off more than you can chew.

LZoeller12 said:
Brett,
have you heard anything of the Scout Camp Combines? Is this a good free agent combine? Also, I plan on attending a combine this summer, and wanted to know if an agent is required, or recommended before trying out. Thanks.

In your situation an agent isn't really neccessary. If you're fortunate enough to catch an Arena or Canadian team's eye and they want to sign you it surely won't be for more than the minimum. Scout Camps are long-shots at best, but if this is your dream then what do you have to lose?

miamirick said:
Hi Brett...

I'd like to get your take on the current state of contracts in the NFL.

It seems that the only party that is actually held to the contract is the player. It is at the sole discretion of the owners as to whether or not to honor the entire length of the contract that they signed and for all intents and purposes, couldn't one argue that the owners are entering into these contracts in bad faith knowing that they will never actually have to pay a large portion of the money?

Do you think that this will be addressed in the next CBA and do you think that this issue could possibly lead to a strike or a lockout?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,
Right now the system is what it is and as an agent you have to deal with it. It's no secret that NFL players have it worse than any of the 3 other major sports and that's what our Players Association is working on improving right now. The owners aren't doing anything in bad faith, because every agent and player understands when they sign a contract that it is not guaranteed. Hopefully an amicable solution can be reached and a work stoppage will be avoided because NFL football IS BY FAR the greatest sport in the world and I wouldn't want to see anything change that.

Brett Tessler said:
Rick,
Right now the system is what it is and as an agent you have to deal with it. It's no secret that NFL players have it worse than any of the 3 other major sports and that's what our Players Association is working on improving right now. The owners aren't doing anything in bad faith, because every agent and player understands when they sign a contract that it is not guaranteed. Hopefully an amicable solution can be reached and a work stoppage will be avoided because NFL football IS BY FAR the greatest sport in the world and I wouldn't want to see anything change that.

Brett -

How much influence or say do the agents have over the Players Association and decisions for negotiating a new CBA, etc? Are all agents members of it, can they be? Or is it just your relationship with the players ,and having their collective ears, therefore being able to help with their message, etc in negotiating with the owners?

thanks as always -

Whitedolphin54 said:
Hi Brett thanks for taking time out to answer our questions. Who do you think in your opinion would be the QB best suited to the Dolphins, coming out of the draft.

With the 16th pick in the draft, Miami won't have a shot at getting any of the top QB's. Assuming they could get whoever they wanted, I think their offense would be best suited for a smart, accurate pocket passer like Matt Leinart.

Hey Brett. I'm just wondering how many current NFL clients you have and could you name a few for us?

Back
Top Bottom