Ask Brett Tessler | Page 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Brett, appreciate your ongoing participation and willingness to share information in this forum. Thanks.

I was wondering about practice squad players. Now that the season has ended for most teams, do you begin to field offers for clients that are on the practice squads of other teams? Or do you typically have an understanding with the team in advance that the client will return for the following season?

How about someone like Eric Pears in Denver. I am sure he is excited the Broncos have a chance to make it to the SB; if another team came calling now, would his position be to continue with the team until the season has ended, prior to making a decision to change teams? Do promising PS players typically have multiple options queued up at this point in the season? How does this part work exactly?

Also, do teams fear that if they aggressively pursue other teams PS players that those teams will respond in kind and ‘raid’ their PS team? Does this factor into PS movement during the season?

Lastly, in your opinion, why do most teams seem to avoid keeping at least one QB player on their PS? Are they afraid that playbook knowledge might be easily gained by a rival team signing the player away?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Brett -

How much influence or say do the agents have over the Players Association and decisions for negotiating a new CBA, etc? Are all agents members of it, can they be? Or is it just your relationship with the players ,and having their collective ears, therefore being able to help with their message, etc in negotiating with the owners?

thanks as always -

Every NFL agent must be a certified member of the Players Association. They'll listen to agents' opinions but at the end of the day they'll do what they want.

Brett Tessler said:
Every NFL agent must be a certified member of the Players Association. They'll listen to agent's opinions but at the end of the day they'll do what they want.

Brett -

Thanks for the response. I just learned something new, as I didnt know membership was mandatory.

I suspect as a member you have an equal voice in votes, etc. Aside from that, what does Membership provide an agent or anyone really that is part of this association?

Phinanthropist said:
Brett, appreciate your ongoing participation and willingness to share information in this forum. Thanks.

I was wondering about practice squad players. Now that the season has ended for most teams, do you begin to field offers for clients that are on the practice squads of other teams? Or do you typically have an understanding with the team in advance that the client will return for the following season?

How about someone like Eric Pears in Denver. I am sure he is excited the Broncos have a chance to make it to the SB; if another team came calling now, would his position be to continue with the team until the season has ended, prior to making a decision to change teams? Do promising PS players typically have multiple options queued up at this point in the season? How does this part work exactly?

Also, do teams fear that if they aggressively pursue other teams PS players that those teams will respond in kind and ‘raid’ their PS team? Does this factor into PS movement during the season?

Lastly, in your opinion, why do most teams seem to avoid keeping at least one QB player on their PS? Are they afraid that playbook knowledge might be easily gained by a rival team signing the player away?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Basically, here's how it works. Players on practice squads can sign onto another team's ACTIVE ROSTER at any time during the season. As soon as the season ends all practice squad players become free agents. In the case of Erik Pears and 99.9% of the other practice squad players it doesn't make sense to jump to another team AFTER the season since you've just spent a year learning a system and developing relationships with your coaches. There's no doubt that several teams would love to sign Erik, but he won't be leaving Denver.

To answer the second part of your question, during the season teams try to sign players off the practice squads of other teams regularly. In most cases, you give the team the player has been with the first opportunity to activate the player and keep him. Sometimes teams try to sign upcoming opponents' practice squad players just to use their knowledge of the playbook and dump them after the game. That's why certain rules limit how soon before a game a team can sign an opposing team's practice squad player.

I haven't read all 44 pages so I am not sure if this has already been asked but how would one go about getting into the business of becoming a sports agent?

Also, do you have a website I could check out?

Brett -

Can you shed some light on how you think FA players will react to what's taking place in Miami with the new coaching staff additions?

How much weight does a FA place on the staff? How does a position coach or coordinator, compare to contract terms and $$$, and expected playing time, etc.?

Overall, what is your thoughts on the OC & expected DC changes so far?

Hi Brett,

I had a question reguarding NFL teams starting to adopt two running back systems, basically because its almost a guarentee that a RB carrying the ball 30 times a game is gonna get hurt. It seems to be working well in places like Pittsburg and it seemed to do well in Miami. My questions are
1. Do you see this happening league wide in the future?
2. Do the RB's care? Does it affect their ego?
3. How will this affect the prices of quality RB's since a team might try and keep 2 superstars in case 1 goes down?

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Brett -

Can you shed some light on how you think FA players will react to what's taking place in Miami with the new coaching staff additions?

How much weight does a FA place on the staff? How does a position coach or coordinator, compare to contract terms and $$$, and expected playing time, etc.?

Overall, what is your thoughts on the OC & expected DC changes so far?

In regards to the coaching changes, up to this point Saban has proven that he knows exactly what he's doing and I think everybody can trust whatever staff decisions he makes. As far as free agent players are concerned, the staff is another important factor along with many others in choosing where you want to play.

Brett, I asked you this question before, but I guess you missed it.

How are the talks going about McIntosh's contract? Are things starting to heat up right now?

Thanks.

Brett im curious, whats your take on the somewhat scary thought of no salary cap. How will that change things( i assume dramatically)

hello brett, i am currently in process of achieving a bachelors in accounting and then going to decide on a law school after, i thought about being an agent but i figure the business was too full and i dont want to represent swimmers or ping pong players i would like to get into professional football or basketball, you say you run your agency yourself

1. have you worked for a company type agency like Drew Rosenhaus is and if so how is it different from representing yourself so to speak?

2. how did you start yourself, (ie how many clients did you start with and how many employees work for you and what do they do to make your job easier. and as the boss if you have employees what part of the business do you construct.

Dmarino110 said:
Hi Brett,

I had a question reguarding NFL teams starting to adopt two running back systems, basically because its almost a guarentee that a RB carrying the ball 30 times a game is gonna get hurt. It seems to be working well in places like Pittsburg and it seemed to do well in Miami. My questions are
1. Do you see this happening league wide in the future?
2. Do the RB's care? Does it affect their ego?
3. How will this affect the prices of quality RB's since a team might try and keep 2 superstars in case 1 goes down?
Teams that use two running back systems often do so out of necessity. In a perfect situation a team would still rather have one guy be the man, but these days it seems harder to find a complete back who's durable and good enough to carry the entire load. In Pittsburgh for instance, Bettis has gotten too old for 30 carries a game, but he's still better in short yardage/goaline situations than Willie Parker. In Miami they drafted Ronnie Brown because Ricky Williams was a head case, yet they still needed Ricky around because Ronnie was unproven. Now that Ronnie looks like he's the real deal, if Ricky's contract was a problem and/or he had high trade value he'd be gone. In Tennessee Chris Brown can't stay healthy so they need Travis Henry. In Atlanta Warrick Dunn is too small for certain situations so they need T.J. Duckett. Because of the salary cap it's almost impossible to pay two running backs starting salaries, so it's usually a draft pick who steps up and phases the other guy out (like Larry Johnson in K.C. or Steven Jackson in St. Louis), or a minimal salary veteran like Antwain Smith who does a capable job filling in if needed. In summation, most of the top running teams still use just one guy to get the job done (like Alexander in Seattle, Tomlinson in San Diego, Barber in New York, James in Indianapolis, Portis in D.C., ad infinitum, ad nauseam).

Ace88 said:
Brett, I asked you this question before, but I guess you missed it.

How are the talks going about McIntosh's contract? Are things starting to heat up right now?

Thanks.
Sorry guys, but I'm not going to be able to comment on that right now.

Back
Top Bottom