Ask Brett Tessler | Page 46 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Muck said:
Brett Tessler is a South Florida based sports agent who represents 15 NFL players and has worked with such Dolphins as Scott McGarrahan and Trent Gamble. If you have an agent-related question for Brett regarding the Miami Dolphins or the NFL, ask him here and he will respond the first chance he gets.
Welcome Brett. Glad to have you on board.

LarryFinFan said:
Brett...just wondering...
Would it be, for lack of a better word, ethical for Drew Rosenbomb to ask the Fins to take a certain offer on a TO (since he's down to nearly his last opportunity) in exchange for a quick settlement with another of Drew's clients that are on the Fins ?? Does that sort of bartering go on between teams and agents. I don't mean in respect to shorting one players contract for the next, but a kind of "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours ? "

It would only be unethical if it short-changed T.O. or the other client. The NFL is no different than any other business in the way that the longer you've been a part of it the more relationships you build and the more favors are owed both ways. However, if he accepted one penny less for either player to make sure that the other was taken care of, it would be highly unethical... and face it, plenty of agents out there are "ethically challenged".

insomnia411 said:
Whatsup Brett,
I go to St. John's University and I have to write a paper for my Sports Management class (my major) about a book that was written by a sports manager. I want to find a book that will actually interest me so if you can recommend any good books written by general managers or anyone associated with the football world it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

There have been a few over the years. Go to your local Barnes & Noble/Border's and look under "Sports". If you're looking for books written by agents, you might want to check under "Fiction" or "Fantasy".

hello brett, question number 2 from me, Is the headache worth the money in your profession? and also how does an agent get paid, like is it a percentage of a contract an athlete signs, and what about endorsements, how do you collect for your services?

Brett Tessler said:
It would only be unethical if it short-changed T.O. or the other client. The NFL is no different than any other business in the way that the longer you've been a part of it the more relationships you build and the more favors are owed both ways. However, if he accepted one penny less for either player to make sure that the other was taken care of, it would be very unethical... and face it, plenty of agents out there are "ethically challenged".

Thanks, I kind of figured that would be the answer...I would love to hear some of the private conversations between these guys...it would make the ONE reality show that I would watch if they made one...

I know that you have heard some dissapointing things about McIntosh, but I don't wanna get into that.

So here is the question for ya Brett. Have you gotten a chance to meet and talk to Randy Mueller any yet?

Well.......... as much as I hate to be the first one to ask this......... I know there are probably a huge amount of fans here that are thinking about asking it so Ill grow the balls and come out firing.

DMac..... Im sure since its only been a day since his last incident you might not have all the details worked out.....

Based on DMac's performance vs. pay last year, which just BTW I thought he improved a great amount over 2004, and based on his upcoming salary, a handful of people were thinking he would be asked to restructure if he is going to return here..... also in light of his most recent off the field incidents, does that give negotiating power to the Miami FO? Also, do you think this puts more pressure on DMac to restructure and do you think he will restructure and return to the Dolphins?

PS: Im well aware that you might not be able to completely answer some of these questions as they pertain to a negatively publicized incident and pertain to maybe on-going negotiations and talks with the Dolphins organization..... however its the offseason and inquiring minds want to know!

Your post was deleted for a reason. Take a hint and don't post in this thread again.

jnobes7 said:
hello brett, question number 2 from me, Is the headache worth the money in your profession? and also how does an agent get paid, like is it a percentage of a contract an athlete signs, and what about endorsements, how do you collect for your services?

I guess it all depends on how bad the headaches are and how much money you make.

An agent gets paid a commission on everything they negotiate (salary, bonuses, endorsements, etc.) and can collect it once the player receives his money.

Ace88 said:
I know that you have heard some dissapointing things about McIntosh, but I don't wanna get into that.

So here is the question for ya Brett. Have you gotten a chance to meet and talk to Randy Mueller any yet?

I've dealt with Randy when he was in New Orleans, but I haven't had the occassion to speak with him since he's been in Miami.

In regards to the McIntosh situation, I'm sure everybody understands that I won't be able to say anything since it's still a pending legal matter.

Brett Tessler said:
I've dealt with Randy when he was in New Orleans, but I haven't had the occassion to speak with him since he's been in Miami.

In regards to the McIntosh situation, I'm sure everybody understands that I won't be able to say anything since it's still a pending legal matter.

YES, WE RESPECT THAT!!

Back
Top Bottom