Ask Brett Tessler | Page 56 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Assistant- Hi Brett!

Hi Brett. Good morning.

This may sound a little strange, but are you looking for an assistant by any chance? I am graduating from FAU next semester as a business management major and presently run a small business. Football is my life and I couldn't imagine a better job than working with someone like yourself. If you are looking for someone drop me a line- jordanb4prez@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Jordan

Hi Brett...thanks for all the great answers, definitely sounds like you really enjoy what you do! Good for you...my questions:
1. Do you hear alot about agents contacting players when they shouldn't...offering money, etc.? Does it happen alot and media doesn't hear about it?
2. And this is really none of my business....but how do you make your money or rather how does an agent make his money...with high end 1stround picks, mid round, and undrafted guys? Do you take a percentage of what a player signs for? Or can it be, this it what it costs you for me to represent you and we'll try and get as much as we can for you?
3. Do you really think W. Huzienga will really sit down with negotiations to make sure players get signed on time for camp??
4. Any special perks you get as an agent when can be jealous of? lol Superbowl parties? Tickets to games? etc.?

1. I hear these stories all the time, because unfortunately it happens on a regular basis.
2. I've had most of my success by landing young diamonds in the rough and picking up veteran players like McIntosh. Agents make a flat, negotiated commission not to exceed 3% and get paid when the player does.
3. I don't envision Huizenga sitting in on negotiations, but he'll probably instruct his guys to be more reasonable.
4. I get every perk you could imagine.

What do you think of the Porter signing in Miami? Was it fair value? The FA market has been insane this year

I don't like it. He's an older player with questionable character on the downside of his career. From what I understand there weren't many other teams bidding for his services, and shouldn't the Dolphins be addressing offense anyway? Reminds me of the Seau signing a few years back.

I don't like it. He's an older player with questionable character on the downside of his career. From what I understand there weren't many other teams bidding for his services, and shouldn't the Dolphins be addressing offense anyway? Reminds me of the Seau signing a few years back.
That definately didn't pan out the way I would have hoped it to have.

i think seau was a bit older when we signed him......i disagree bc to me porter aint done yet and his signing greatly improves a position......we had spragan starting for crying out loud......immediate upgrade......what would have been ur suggestion-overpay for a mediocre player on the offensive side of the ball....no thanks, i rather take the proven player

So what kinda perks do you get? Maybe tell at least a few things....please?
I agree that Porter's signing brought back some memories of Seau signing, with Seau being a few years older. I hope things are different this time around

Hi Brett. Good morning.

This may sound a little strange, but are you looking for an assistant by any chance? I am graduating from FAU next semester as a business management major and presently run a small business. Football is my life and I couldn't imagine a better job than working with someone like yourself. If you are looking for someone drop me a line. Thanks!

Jordan

Jordan,
Your request isn't strange as I receive dozens of resumes a year. I try to respond to each one personally and at least help point people in the right direction. While I appreciate your interest, I remain a one-man show and offer no such opportunities. However, if you still need to chat PM me your number and I'll get in touch.
BT

I think I know you

Your name is very familiar. I grew up in Hollywood, FL. I went to Nova High, graduated 97'. My name is Evan Klein

Any recollection???

PS....All I want are lineman...It is boring yes, but that is what the fins need hands down.:dolphins:

So what kinda perks do you get? Maybe tell at least a few things....please?

I'd rather not get specific for fear of sounding pompous. Let's just say that my players and I get treated very well at most restaurants, clubs, and events.

Your name is very familiar. I grew up in Hollywood, FL. I went to Nova High, graduated 97'. My name is Evan Klein

Any recollection???

Evan, I'm sorry but I can't recall. I meet alot of people and I'm not always great with names.

Brett, I was wondering what you majored in, and what you believe (or what is) the best area of study to enter if you want to get into your line of work in the future?

Hey Brett i was just wondering...Did Miami offer D-mac a offer?...and if so was it close to what the Chiefs offered because i for 1 wanted Dmac back because i am not sold on any LT on this roster or any LT in the draft after Joe Thomas.

Brett, I was wondering what you majored in, and what you believe (or what is) the best area of study to enter if you want to get into your line of work in the future?

Honestly, I don't think it matters what you study. None of those Sports Management or Law classes will be worth a damn when it comes to getting clients and gaining practical knowledge of the business.

hey brett,

How does one become an agent and successful, unfortunately like most people i do not have an in within the industry, i currently work for boston properties as a property accountant, but sports is what i wanna be involved in. I mean i could just 'start' being an agent but i don't have any experience and wouldn't know where to get clients.

Jacob

Brett,

1. What do you look for in a future prospective client beyond obvious football talent?

2. Have you ever had a client you wished you never signed?

3. What is the biggest problem you face when trying to seal a contract for your player with a club?

4. Would you agree if the league made it mandatory that rookies who sign large deals take financial management courses?

5. What's your spirit animal?:callme:

Back
Top Bottom