Ask CK (like Ask Alex, except better) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask CK (like Ask Alex, except better)

Other than RB and maybe CB, I don't think there is a position that we could make that would be bad...I'd go OL, DT, WR, S, LB, QB...any of those at #20....of course as I am entering this, I am having a nightmarish flashbacks about Eric Kummero and Billy Milner.....But I think that phase is past our FO...hopefully !

Well lets see on Sanders. Red flag for him is bulk (lack thereof). The reason I say lack thereof is cuz the red flags for Andrews are bulk and character...and obviously the bulk is not a lack of bulk like most of these guys but rather too much bulk. The character I believe is BS because they still knock the guy based on the fact he missed his bowl game with the polyps. If you see the passion this guy plays with you wouldn't say that.

Bob Sanders...
Grade: 83
Alerts: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position

Comments: Sanders has exceptional speed for a safety. Quick, athletic. Can match up vs. smaller backs, tight ends, even slot receivers one-on-one. Fluid hips, smooth in turns. Excellent agility. Effective in short and deep zones. Makes presence felt in middle in coverage. Big hitter after catch. Shortest safety in this class. Can't hold up in man-to-man coverage against big tight ends and receivers. Targeted on fade routes, jump balls in red zone. Instincts are greatest strength. Rarely takes false steps despite great aggressiveness. Plays under control. Will not bite on playaction. Always around football and in on big plays. Fastest safety in this class, one of the fastest prospects overall. Great top-end speed, closing burst. Can accelerate to catch up with deep balls. Great short-area burst when closing in on ballcarrier. Very good ball skills, hands. Will come up with big plays if in position, but lack of height hurts him here. Does not have long arms, leaping ability to make plays on deep balls. Will get engulfed too often in NFL. Might struggle when forced to match up in box, take on blocks. However, Sanders is a tough, physical, active and aggressive player. Terrific instincts. Fills hard vs. the run, solid open-field tackler. Good range in run support, sideline-to-sideline playmaker. Takes good angles. Good burst when coming forward. Explosiveness, power as tackler. Uses hands to get through traffic, uses instincts and excellent vision to slip blocks, get to ball. In 2002, Sanders finished second on the team with 102 tackles. He added two interceptions and broke up 12 passes. Despite missing three games (right foot injury) in 2003, he finished with 72 total tackles, including 5.5 for loss, and had a sack, an interception and five passes broken up. Sanders is a squatty strong safety with excellent explosiveness. He would be a first-round prospect if he were 3 inches taller, but his height will cause him problems in the NFL -- especially in coverage. But Sanders overcame his limitations playing for a Big Ten school, and he should be able to do the same in the NFL. He could go in the second round.

Like I was saying before, his size would be a problem at free safety where coverage is key. I just think of the plays I see Brock Marion making and I think to myself, a small guy is going to have trouble making those plays. He'd get targeted on deep routes vs taller WRs and streakers. For instance, if we were facing him in 2001, we would have had Chambers line up in the slot, and run the guy real deep then just toss up a jump ball. Chambers probably come down with it like 7 times out of 10. We could probably do the same with Gadsden.

My guess is keep an eye on Will Allen if he makes it to the 3rd round. He's a Patriots type of player, in fact at the combine a Pats scout was talking to one of the Scouts Inc guys, pointed at Allen and said "Him, thats our kind of guy right there"

But us and the Patriots we have that in common where safeties are concerned. They want safeties that can run and cover, especially at FS. They like CB/S types. We like CB/S types, and we're very much in copycat Patriots mode. So watch for Will Allen. Insider has him rated a 74 and ranked around pick 78.

Grade: 74
Comments: Allen has upside. Athletic safety with adequate speed. Quick, fluid. Very good range in zone coverage. Best when playing high-point in a two-deep look. Instinctive, great at reading quarterbacks' eyes. Gets good breaks on balls, takes very sound angles in pursuit. Excellent leaper (36-inch jump), ball skills. Not strong enough in man coverage to move to cornerback, but is athletic, instinctive and fluid enough to match up against some slot receivers. Solid wrap-up tackler who is willing and fills hard vs. run. Lacks experience. Only started one-year at collegiate level. Cornerback size, but lacks elite speed, just average in man-to-man coverage. Coverage limitations. Lacks size, strength to match up vs. big tight ends, lacks man-cover skills to matchup outside against quick receivers. Must improve bulk, strength. Fills hard, solid tackler, but overmatched near line of scrimmage. Struggles to get off blocks. Must improve stamina. Allen was one of the nation's best all-around safeties as a senior. In his first year as a starter, Allen was second on the team with 83 tackles with three tackles for loss, two interceptions and six passes broken up. Allen lacks experience and is unpolished, but he is an intriguing late Day 1 prospect. Allen has the frame to continue to get bigger, and he has good speed, quickness, ball skills and athleticism. He is worth grabbing because he should contribute right away on special teams. At the very least, he has the playmaking skills to develop into a solid sub-package defensive back.

Interesting you mention Josh Harris. I was just looking at his 4th round ranking (#120) and rating of 66.

Grade: 66
Comments: Harris is a versatile athlete who's built like a running back. For a QB, Harris is a tough runner with adequate speed. He is quick and elusive and has good awareness which helps him will buy a lot of second chances. Harris has adequate arm strength, showing decent zip on deep out routes and good touch and accuracy on deep balls. He throws well on the run, has a winning attitude and a good deal of potential. On the other hand, Harris is more of an athlete than an NFL prospect right now. He played in a simplistic offense where nearly 75 percent of his passes were short ones. He isn't adept at reading defenses and making progression reads. He is somewhat short and lacks the footwork and mechanics to be a pocket passer. He throws off his back foot and there's some wind-up in his delivery. Harris also lacks accuracy and timing on intermediate throws. He was a terrific college runner, but lacks the speed (4.81) to transfer that running ability to the NFL. He also lacks the speed to switch to running back or defensive back. He started four games as a sophomore in 2001 and was a full-time starter in 2002-03. He had a record-breaking 2002, rushing for 21 TDs, passing for 19 and catching two TD passes. His NFL potential skyrocketed last season when he completed 65.8 percent of his passes and had a 27-12 TD-interception ratio. Harris is a touch short, but he is quick, well-built and strong and has a decent arm. He is a playmaker as a passer and runner, and he has some upside, but the team that drafts him must show a lot of patience. His accuracy is below-average, and Harris needs time to pick up complex offenses such as the ones he'll see in the NFL. Harris is a fourth-round prospect with the potential to develop into a starter, but he is at least a few years away.

Can we get the writeup on Stu Schwiegart? Hes the guy I would be targeting in round three, on the off chance that he falls....

I like Schweigert's potential as a cherry picker. He has a natural feel for being in the right spot.

Unfortunately Schweigert carries a late round 2 grade, which is a might bit shy of our late round 3 pick. But here he is.

Grade: 79
Comments: Schweigert is an experienced, productive, playmaker. Best in deep zone coverage. Good speed, terrific range. Good at pressing slot receivers. Long-legged, though. Can handle most backs, tight ends man-to-man, but is bit stiff, might struggle vs. some NFL slot receivers. Very good recognition. Won't take false steps. Instinctive, good at reading keys. Disciplined, plays under control. Great feel for things happening in front. High-cut, has good speed but struggles to recover if he makes mistakes. Lacks acceleration when forced to turn, run, but has good burst coming forward, attacking line. Very good ball skills, will make lots of plays on airborne balls. Long arms, very good hand-eye-coordination, strong hands. A ballhawk. Always in on big plays. Great instincts, comes up fumbles. Lacks size and strength, must improve angles, tackling skills. But is aggressive, willing vs. run. Fills hard in run support, shows pop at point of attack. Schweigert missed one game because of a sprained knee in 2002 and was slowed by a groin injury that season. Still, he finished with 89 tackles and two interceptions. As a senior, he finished with 88 tackles, 2.5 sacks, four interceptions and four passes defended. Schweigert is everything a free safety should be, minus top-end speed. He has terrific instincts, is a playmaker when the ball is airborne, fills hard vs. the run and is consistent in run support. He is a hard worker and an intelligent player. Durability concerns and the fact that he's been cited twice for underage drinking won't help his draft value, but they are not major concerns because he stayed out of trouble the past two years. Schweigert grades out as a solid second-round prospect who should develop into a solid starting free safety within two years.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Thanks for taking over RUDE while I was enjoying my loooooong commute home from work.

No Problem.

As for Dunta Robinson hey if he truly is the best player left on the board I guess it wouldn't be a terrible pick but there are other areas with similar talents where we could definitely use a player of first round potential. Madison's deal was just in effect extended, keep that in mind. More money was turned into bonus, and the base salaries of all his future years were lowered to keepable rates. In other words we just made him harder to cut within a year or two. My objection to drafting a first round CB now is that with the signing of Reggie Howard, we would not be able to get the rookie any playing time as a rookie. The proper place to train a rookie is the nickel spot, not Dime CB. If we hadn't signed Howard, then it would have made more sense to make a move for Dunta than when we drafted Jamar Fletcher, because it would be obvious who Dunta is shooting to replace...Madison...whereas Jamar (who thought he was the best CB since Deion) looked and was like...uhh, gee guys, where's the chink in the armor? IMO drafting Dunta wouldn't be the end of the world he'd help out tremendously within 2 years (I liken him heavily to Patrick Surtain and I think its a natural comparison), however he would relegate the Howard signing into utter stupidity. Is the front office, especially novice GM Rick Spielman, ready to admit so quickly that they should not have taken part in the run on CBs in free agency? I don't believe so. Therefore, Dunta Robinson or even DeAngelo Hall or Chris Gamble, would probably be the last guys they draft.

Yeah, I was wondering about the MAdison situation cap wise. It seemed as though Howard was brought in to take over for Madison after this year. Maybe not. You know anything else on Patrick Surtains knee condition?? There were articles about a year ago or maybe 2 years ago that said Surtain had a knee condition that would cut his career short.

Either way, with the Madison contract the way it is, Miami should look elsewherein the draft other than CB.

1. Shawn Andrews 2. Vilma 3. Randy Starks 4. Trade Down
5. Lee Evans

The only thing I've heard about Surtain's knee condition is firm denials from the team, Surtain, his agent, and I think his doctors. That story was broken a long time ago by either hammerin hank or even worst Maddog and there was like, no truth to it whatsoever according to all involved.

It made the papers and when Surtain saw it he said to reporters "I read it and it was news to me"

The team wouldn't be extending his contract if it were true, and trust me the TEAM would know far before the media or Maddog got wind of it.

What was the newest one we just heard? Boston has a degenerative condition in his heel/ankle? An "achilles heel" in this monument of a human specimen, if you will. I think Maddog himself vouched that he has it from a "reliable" source and Hank may have even gotten in on the action.

Of course team, Boston, and even San Diego catch wind of this report and they are like "uhhh...no" San Diego was even like "We did not trade him to Miami because of injury problems, sorry"

What was the newest one we just heard? Boston has a degenerative condition in his heel/ankle? An "achilles heel" in this monument of a human specimen, if you will. I think Maddog himself vouched that he has it from a "reliable" source and Hank may have even gotten in on the action.

Of course team, Boston, and even San Diego catch wind of this report and they are like "uhhh...no" San Diego was even like "We did not trade him to Miami because of injury problems, sorry"

It is true that Boston has a heel condition. What has'nt been reported is that its in BOTH heels. I don't know the medical term for this condition,but in layman terms I think its called I'LLRUNOVERYOURAZZITIS.:evil:

thanks for the harris info. ck, maybe we can nab him in the late rounds and groom him for a couple years.

Back
Top Bottom