Assuming We DON'T Get Flynn | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assuming We DON'T Get Flynn

No, I'm saying I'd take Rogers because he's the best Quaterback in the league... period.

Are you seriously looking at one game where the stars line up and assume he's that great?

Question: What QB completed 30 passes for 416 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 59 yards and one TD in week one of this season only to see his team lose by 14 ponts?(no it wasn't Michael Vick or Cam Newton)

No. I never said Flynn was great.

I've noticed this board has quite a knack for putting words in other people's mouths, if they have a different opinion than yours.

All I'm doing is questioning why the offense plays a big factor in the judgement of Flynn. It's not just you, it's a general question to everyone. Also, I never said I disagreed with it. I actually said "Now I DO understand this thinking."

So before you "internet attack" my QB scouting ability (Sorry, I'm not a professional Finheaven Scout, like some people on here) I think you should take the time to actually read what I was asking. Nor did you even actually answer the question.

All I'm saying is, Philbin worked with this guy 3-4 years. I'm sure he knows what he can and can't do. If he trusts him enough to sign him, then I trust that decision

All I'm doing is questioning why the offense plays a big factor in the judgement of Flynn. It's not just you, it's a general question to everyone. Also, I never said I disagreed with it. I actually said "Now I DO understand this thinking."

So before you "internet attack" my QB scouting ability (Sorry, I'm not a professional Finheaven Scout, like some people on here) I think you should take the time to actually read what I was asking. Nor did you even actually answer the question.

All I'm saying is, Philbin worked with this guy 3-4 years. I'm sure he knows what he can and can't do. If he trusts him enough to sign him, then I trust that decision

Fair enough and sorry about the "attack."

Sparano also worked with countless Cowboys including Colombo and brought them over. Familiarity can be good and bad. I'm not saying Flynn sucks and I know you're not. I just think that system helps a lot of people, none more than Brady if you want to know the truth. When he's hit and treated like a regualy QB, he's average as he showed in the first half of the games against the Dolphins and Bills at the end of the year. When he's got 4,5,6 seconds to scan the field, he's deadly.

Anyhow, sorry about the attack. I just hope they don't overpay for a guy who had one game and you're right, if anyone knows what he can do, it's likely Philbin. I just don't want this to be the Miami Packers like it became the Miami Cowboy(leftovers).

Now I DO understand this thinking, but I do have a question for you. If Flynn is just a system QB, and benifited from the Packers receivers, then how come neither Rodgers or Favre have ever put up 6 TDs in a single game like Flynn did? Weren't they throwing to the same receivers?

You definitely need a larger sampling on Flynn before any judgements can be made. My thought is that the Lions defenders saw that the Packers were playing their back-up and felt the game was going to be a cake walk and as a result were not as focused as if Rodgers was the starter. Its only human nature to feel that way.

might want to rethink that one a bit SCOTTY. you think with all the hype surrounding flynn right now the pack will let him walk? they will franchise him and it will take a RANSOM to get him. bet on it!

and this team, in the state it is in now can NOT afford to roll the dice with a 1 game wonder. we need many, many more pieces for this team to be a winner and killing our cap and the next 2 years drafts will do just that.

You definitely need a larger sampling on Flynn before any judgements can be made. My thought is that the Lions defenders saw that the Packers were playing their back-up and felt the game was going to be a cake walk and as a result were not as focused as if Rodgers was the starter. Its only human nature to feel that way.
I totally agree, but Philbin HAS a larger sample size, he saw him every day. His opinion is the one I would most trust.

I've noticed this board has quite a knack for putting words in other people's mouths, if they have a different opinion than yours.

Exactly. If the Phins do not pursue Flynn, then that would suggest to me that Philbin does not believe he can be a franchise QB.
In fact, if I'm a team considering pursuing Flynn and I see that the Phins are not pursuing him, then I would have second thoughts about spending big money on him.

Exactly. If the Phins do not pursue Flynn, then that would suggest to me that Philbin does not believe he can be a franchise QB.

This exactly. You'd like to think that Flynns relationship with Philbin, coupled with Ross throwing ridiculous amounts of cash at him that he'd choose South Beach over the likes of Seattle, Washington or Cleveland.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, if I'm a team considering pursuing Flynn and I see that the Phins are not pursuing him, then I would have second thoughts about spending big money on him.

One of my points was familiarity doesn't always mean accuracy. Sparano's ties to the Cowboys led us to signing Colombo, Adele, Burnett (former 'boy), etc... Just cause you know them doesn't mean your judegement can't be clouded. I guess I'll give Philbin the benefit of the doubt until I see he's got blind faith.

Now I DO understand this thinking, but I do have a question for you. If Flynn is just a system QB, and benifited from the Packers receivers, then how come neither Rodgers or Favre have ever put up 6 TDs in a single game like Flynn did? Weren't they throwing to the same receivers? Are you saying you wouldn't take Rodgers because of Green Bay's receivers?
One 6 TD game doesn't make Flynn a HOF'er. He is unproven and probably not an upgrade to our current situation.

• [/INDENT]

might want to rethink that one a bit SCOTTY. you think with all the hype surrounding flynn right now the pack will let him walk? they will franchise him and it will take a RANSOM to get him. bet on it!

and this team, in the state it is in now can NOT afford to roll the dice with a 1 game wonder. we need many, many more pieces for this team to be a winner and killing our cap and the next 2 years drafts will do just that.

no they won't. they don't have the cap room to do it, and if they do that, they take the risk of Finley walking. Oh, and it's against the rules, and the NFLPA would pitch a humongous fit.

First off let me say, NRA great post about researching and forming our own opinions. Very well said.
Second, I'm not sold on or a fan of Matty "flavor of the week" Flynn.
But with that said... I'm hearing a lot of people say after GB Franchise tags him, his asking price will be through the roof.

A few problems with that is.... First, it is illegal in the NFL to Franchise a player just to trade him. Don't think GB wants to start a s*** storm of being a dirty team by clearly violating an NFL rule.

Second, if the Pack franchise Flynn he counts $14 million against the cap, for a BACKUP QB. Not only does that hit the Packers cap space hard, but they'd lose any leverage they would have with a trade as every team knows they would NEED to dump the guy.

Third, the Pack would still get something if they lost him to FA. A compensatory pick, likely a 3rd or 4th.

So do you violate the NFL rules, risk your salary cap and hope for a #1 in return and that you don't get sanctioned by the NFL? (which might take away your #1 anyhow).

Or do you play by the rules, accept that losing players is part of the game, and take the legal 3rd or 4th the NFL grants you?

Hence why I don't see the price tag for Flynn being truly astronomical if he is Franchise tagged, (which I don't think he will be)

Moore isn't half bad to be honest. He played a lot better than Henne that's for sure. I could care less about Flynn..every year there is a backup QB who is the "hot commodity" and it usually doesn't pan out well. I thought there were going to be more QBs in this years draft, some ended up staying in school. Stick with Moore or trade up for RGIII I say.

I think Weeden in the 2nd round could really excel in the WCO. He played in the passing spread in college which is all about timing and the route tree that receivers run are actually similar to that of the WCO. Lots of slants, posts, deep outs, go routes etc. I know Weeden is 28, but if we sign Peyton in the off season - then go Riley Reiff or Kendall Wright in the 1st, followed by Weeden in the 2nd I think that'd be a home run.

I'm totally on board with this move. I would like the fins to go after Flynn (but don't overpay) and take Blackman if he falls to them, or take Reiff if he doesn't. Weeden in the second round (or Tannehill if he falls that far, but i doubt he will).

GO PHINS~!

One 6 TD game doesn't make Flynn a HOF'er. He is unproven and probably not an upgrade to our current situation.

Once again, I never said Flynn was HOF worthy. I just questioned why his offense is a negative towards him. First, Rodgers runs the same offense, and he has never put up a 6 TD game. And secondly, now that Philbin is our HC, we would likely be running a similar offense anyways

Back
Top Bottom