At least 2 QBs to be dropped this season. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At least 2 QBs to be dropped this season.

I think it depends on the draft day... if Quinn somehow drops to nine... Then Culpepper is gone. If we don't draft Quinn, then I'm gonna say it'll be between Lemon and Culpepper... Harrington will be released.

Keep Harrington. Unload Culpepper and get a late round QB to groom in 2-3 years.

So you want us to keep the worst QB on our roster, and cut the best one? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We aren't going to get a better QB than Culpepper in 2007, he is going to be our quarterback and he is going to be very good.

Culpepper was injured this year. He played crappy. But while injured, he was still better than Harrington.

Culpepper was on pace for 3700 yards passing this year. Harrington was on pace for 3250(if he started 16 games).

Harrington was signed because he was previously a starting QB. He has proven to be no Earl Morrell.

Cut Harrington=$3 million saved.
Cut Culpepper=$1.3 million saved.

If the choice is to cut 1... Culpepper has a higher qb rating, higher yards per game, less interceptions... and less cap savings. I'm putting Culpepper through training camp and re-evaluating him.

I'm not arguing the point of keeping Harrington over Culpepper, but one stat you left out is that assuming a 16 start season.....Culpepper would have been sacked 96 (NINETY SIX) times. Harrington at least displayed the ability to get rid of the ball in a reasonable amount of time. Yeah...I know the O-line improved, but no way there would be a 5 to 1 difference in getting sacked. The Phins were 3rd and 15 on way to many occasions with Cpep at the helm. I'm hoping Culpepper shows Cam something, or my vote is to cut both and live with Lemon for a year. It just pisses me off when I think about where we sit at QB.:fire:

Its hard decide on CPEP from his performance last year. The question will be is he physically and mentally ready to make a contribution. I believe it will take a long time to evaluate that.
Joey makes more sense to drop.

I hope we pick up a QB in the first. Idealy I would like to trade whatever it takes to get Jamarcus. If not Brady will do just fine.

I'm not arguing the point of keeping Harrington over Culpepper, but one stat you left out is that assuming a 16 start season.....Culpepper would have been sacked 96 (NINETY SIX) times. Harrington at least displayed the ability to get rid of the ball in a reasonable amount of time. Yeah...I know the O-line improved, but no way there would be a 5 to 1 difference in getting sacked. The Phins were 3rd and 15 on way to many occasions with Cpep at the helm. I'm hoping Culpepper shows Cam something, or my vote is to cut both and live with Lemon for a year. It just pisses me off when I think about where we sit at QB.:fire:

Probably not 5 to 1, but I think there was a drastic difference. Houck did the same thing last year with the line... protection improved a lot during the season. Also, he pretty much had the TE blocking all the time. Harrington had a much better situation - and was still worse than Daunte.

If you couple that with Daunte's injury hampering his mobility I think the sacks are not as big a concern as they seem. Fumbles, however, are probably exactly as bad as they seem.

Anyway, it all comes down to the injury for me. Culpepper is a vastly superior quarterback if he can move. I don't put much stock into the decision-making issue, or any of that. If he can move close to how he used to (and hold onto the ball), he's a potential pro-bowler.

Harrington wouldn't be a pro-bowler if he was allowed to play with ten o-linemen and five Jerry Rice robots.

Probably not 5 to 1, but I think there was a drastic difference. Houck did the same thing last year with the line... protection improved a lot during the season. Also, he pretty much had the TE blocking all the time. Harrington had a much better situation - and was still worse than Daunte.

If you couple that with Daunte's injury hampering his mobility I think the sacks are not as big a concern as they seem. Fumbles, however, are probably exactly as bad as they seem.

Anyway, it all comes down to the injury for me. Culpepper is a vastly superior quarterback if he can move. I don't put much stock into the decision-making issue, or any of that. If he can move close to how he used to (and hold onto the ball), he's a potential pro-bowler.

Harrington wouldn't be a pro-bowler if he was allowed to play with ten o-linemen and five Jerry Rice robots.

The TE had to block because Culpepper needed so much time. If Daunte wasn't such a turtle in the pocket, he could've used McMike as an option. He just can't make throws without extremely good protection or the ability to run it out. All Joey needs is for his WR's to catch and a decent protection by the OL, which they gave later on but faltered towards the end.

Is Edwin Pope in the retirement home yet? Honestly the guy's lost his marbles. Where does he get this stuff about "at least 2 will be gone" in the coming months? I mean come on.

He's suggesting that either Miami is going to release Culpepper without having seen him recover from the knee surgery. Or, they are going to release Cleo Lemon, who was a guy that Cameron and the entire coaching staff liked in San Diego.

Or both.

Right. Someone get Pope some apple sauce and a diaper.

Broken Brain Syndrome

Have you ever heard of "Broken Brain Syndrome?"

It's what happened to Joey in Detroit, and Patrick Ramsey in Washington. It means you are overwhelmed with a bad situation, poor coaching, lack of support, etc., and your brain freezes leaving you effectively shell shocked. You remember Ramsey... Miami offered it's #1 in the upcoming draft for him, and Joe Gibbs said no. The #1 pick we ended up keeping wound up being Ronnie Brown. Ramsey was one of many QBs who might have been good had they landed in a better situation. I believe he's about to be cut by the Jets.

IMO, it's as unfair to judge Harrington under one year of Mularkey as it is to judge Culpepper trying to play with a severe knee injury. I'm not saying Joey was on a collision course for the pro bowl, but he was starting to "get it" despite how efffed up the offense was under Mularkey.

The only fair thing to do (in theory) is to open up the QB competition this year to all three QBs currently on the roster. If Dante is healthy, and Joey has had more of a chance to work within a legitimate offense (Cameron), and Cleo is given a chance to show what he can do... then may the best man win.

The potential fly in the ointment is that $$$ plays a big part in this game. Cutting either Dante or Joey would save the team some bucks, so they have to decide early on who's worth keeping and who they can afford to cut. I would expect Dante's knee to receive a vigorous examination as well as Joey's brain before any decision is reached regarding who get's cut and who's allowed a chance to compete. At this point, my money is on Cleo and a rookie... with a 50/50 chance that either Dante or Joey is allowed to "hang in there" until they are 100%.

I think Dante was play bad before he hurt in MInnesota, when was the last seson he really play fine.... (in Minnesota) he didn`t play well in Miami....

You forget he slightly tore his knee first game of the season last year against the BUCS......

The TE had to block because Culpepper needed so much time. If Daunte wasn't such a turtle in the pocket, he could've used McMike as an option. He just can't make throws without extremely good protection or the ability to run it out. All Joey needs is for his WR's to catch and a decent protection by the OL, which they gave later on but faltered towards the end.

The TE blocking I was referring to was for Harrington. They pulled total protection for Harrington every bit, if not more for Joey then they did for Daunte. And they got better at it.

"All Joey needs..."

...is to be about three times as good as he is.

The point was that our protection was awful at the start of the year and got better. Joey reaped the benifit of that and STILL sucked more than Culpepper did.

That's the thing people ignore... they talk about how horrible Daunte was without even referencing that Harrington was even worse. Harrington was in the bottom percent of the league all season.

If Jason Taylor hadn't pulled his Superman act, Joey would have been 0-fer and we'd be drafting first.

IMO, it's as unfair to judge Harrington under one year of Mularkey as it is to judge Culpepper trying to play with a severe knee injury. I'm not saying Joey was on a collision course for the pro bowl, but he was starting to "get it" despite how efffed up the offense was under Mularkey.

Who on earth is judging Joey on one year? He has been pretty much the same for FIVE years? In fact, he's remarkably consistent. Consistently bad.

He has tried different coaches, different recievers, different teams... he always sucks.

I have no idea why so many people in the media keep expecting him to suddenly get talented. He's not going to. And I think that is what Cam was refering to when he said a "track record" is more important than glimpses.

Joey's track record is awful. Daunte's track record is way better. Without these last two injury shortned years, his track record is fantastic.

Culpepper, at least, was once great. And not even that long ago. All comes dow to the injury with him.

The TE blocking I was referring to was for Harrington. They pulled total protection for Harrington every bit, if not more for Joey then they did for Daunte. And they got better at it.

"All Joey needs..."

...is to be about three times as good as he is.

The point was that our protection was awful at the start of the year and got better. Joey reaped the benifit of that and STILL sucked more than Culpepper did.

That's the thing people ignore... they talk about how horrible Daunte was without even referencing that Harrington was even worse. Harrington was in the bottom percent of the league all season.

If Jason Taylor hadn't pulled his Superman act, Joey would have been 0-fer and we'd be drafting first.

Um, McMike got way more looks his way under Joey than under Culpepper so I don't think he's spending time blocking for Joey that much. Joey was doing fine until our protection really broke down in his last games this season. And against tougher defenses to boot. Culpepper had what? The Texans? The Titans (pre-end of season reinvigoration)? Joey was stuck with the Bears, a ballhawk Chiefs pass D, and the Patriots twice.

Who on earth is judging Joey on one year? He has been pretty much the same for FIVE years? In fact, he's remarkably consistent. Consistently bad.

My point was Joey was set up for failure in Detroit, so I'm not counting that experience against him. Many people are, and that's fine if that's how they see it.

Joey's Detroit years were bad on him as a QB and bad on him as a person. He's was basically starting from scratch last year with us. If Cam sees potential in him he's no different than a mid round draft pick who needs work. Why would you begrudge him that? If Cam says, "No thanks" and cuts him I'm willing to go along with that, too. Cameron will actually break down film play by play and see how much of his failings last year for us were entirely his fault, and make a decision from there compared to the other QBs on our roster.

Joey was doing fine until our protection really broke down in his last games this season. And against tougher defenses to boot. Culpepper had what? The Texans? The Titans (pre-end of season reinvigoration)? Joey was stuck with the Bears, a ballhawk Chiefs pass D, and the Patriots twice.

Joes Harrington's QB rating by game, in order:

107.4 (against Detroit, of course)
0.0 (that's quite a feat)
----
68.2 total

Abymssal. He had one great game, one good game, EIGHT bad games and one historically bad game.

No matter how you look at it, Joey was freaking awful.

And, for the record, because a lot of people miss this:

Daunte had one horrible game and three games that had good ratings that I would downgrade because of the sacks.

Boy, people sure will come up with excuses for Harrington and crucify Culpepper.

Seems like everybody does, fans, the media, people here.

Crazy. If you were being totally generous you could say Joey was instrumental in winning two games... whereas he was instrumental in losing five.

He was worse than Culpepper with much better protection. And that is with an injured, rusty Culpepper... still better than Joey.

But people want to slam him and excuse Joey.

Back
Top Bottom