At least be consistent please | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At least be consistent please

Phinzone

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
For those that think we're "set at the QB position" and "need Offensive linemen", chew on this...

LT 74 Wade Smith- started 16 games
LG 78 Jeno James - Started 28 games
C 68 Seth McKinney - started 5 games
RG 69 Taylor Whitley- started 0 games
RT 70 John St. Clair - 16 games started

Average games started by position for starters: 13

QB AJ Feeley- started 5 games

Now, consider we have a proven flop at backup QB who MAY start, how can you sit there and say we're worse off at OL than QB? Keep in mind, we are still actively pursuing an dlooking to adda vet OL.

So ther'es your choice...we're bad off at both positions. So it's your choice...try to fixt he most imporatnt position ont he field, or try to fix OL. But try to be consistent in your arguments, We're no worse off at QB than OL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where you got these stats but...

Jeno James started all 16 games last year, Seth McKinney started only 3, and St. Clair didn't start at all.

Secondly, we're worse off at OL because there are 5 positions on the line and we've only really got 3 filled (LT, LG and C). The other spots are questionmarks. Is St. Clair ready to start and will McIntosh be ready for the season? Whitley is DEFINETLY not ready to start.

We need to pick up another G or T or else the entire right side of our line next year will be dominated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Gonk
I don't know where you got these stats but...

Jeno James started all 16 games last year, Seth McKinney started only 3, and St. Clair didn't start at all.

NFL.com, Career, Feeley didn't start at all last year either...

though I will concede I didn't type the 2 for James. He started 28 games...so that makes it....13 games per player on OL.

Oh, you were talking about total career starts? I thought you were just talking about last year... sorry.

I dont see us drafting an OL at 20 overall or 14 overall because I doubt Ol will be the best player on the board at either pick. I see it being QB or WR.

Originally posted by Graythreat
For those that think we're "set at the QB position" and "need Offensive linemen", chew on this...
The consistency comes in understanding the design of the team. Our team is NOT designed around the QB position...hence, he is not the most important position or the highest paid.

Our team is designed around the Defense. Defense wins championships. Our offensive design is balanced with a run first attack. Ricky Williams is more valuable in this offensive design. Ricky Williams will run better with an improved offensive line. The passing game will have an opportunity to make more plays with a better offensive line.

That said, most offensive lineman are not ready to start in their rookie season. Yet, there are many that can contribute immediately.

The edict from the Owner is to win now. Certainly that includes improving the passing game. The addition of an improved offensive line, another playmaker receiver, and a QB that is more accurate... is more consistent with the win now design.

Drafting a QB in the first round would be a great PR move and might be a long term fit at that position. Yet...it would be inconsistent from the win now, defense heavy, run first attack that is the Dolphin team design.

Now, consider we have a proven flop at backup QB who MAY start, how can you sit there and say we're worse off at OL than QB? Keep in mind, we are still actively pursuing an dlooking to adda vet OL.

So ther'es your choice...we're bad off at both positions. So it's your choice...try to fixt he most imporatnt position ont he field, or try to fix OL. But try to be consistent in your arguments, We're no worse off at QB than OL.

were "set" at QB ONLY because the FO has already waged their bets on who they are going to hang their hopes on AJ Feeley.
They are not going to bring in another QB that could start next year so I REALLLLLY don't understand what your point is here.

If anything, the fact that the QB spot is so up in the air makes the OL even more of a pressing issue to be dealt with. A great OL can make a bad QB look good. Both positions OL and QB will in fact make or break the Phins season next year. Movement on improving QB position is already over with like it or not, so improving the OL MUST continue to be the top priority.

Our team has been built around the defense since Marino retired, and a little before then.

We need to look to the FUTURE. In 2-3 years our Defensive play will drop CONSIDERABLY. THomas is already slowing down, JT will slow down in a year our two, our secondary is near ancient, T-bo is old, and Seau..well, you get the picture.

Our Offense is where we need to build this team around. We now have James, McKinney, and Smith, 3 proven young linemen. At QB, we currently have a wild card young buck that we have absolutely no idea about.

We also have 2 top tier WR"s, a great TE, and a great RB all young. Where are we going to turn to in 2 years when our defense is falling apart around us? We're going to have to look to our offense to carry this team, and rightfuly so. It's stacked with young talent.

Point being, in 2 years this team will be built around the offense, no if's and's or butt's about it. In 2 years our draft picks will shift from offense to defence. And we're going ot need a solid QB to guide that offense. You can say what you want, but QB is still the most imporant position on a team. Some teams get by without it, but with our current talented offense, we havent' done jack without a QB. That's a fact, the QB is needed to run this team.

We're working on a limited time frame....not to make the superbowl, but to get a QB capable of leading this offense for the next 10 years. If we wait for 2 years to draft a Qb to groom, we'll have to wait another 2 years for him to be ready. The time is now, the time WAS about 6 years ago before dan retired, but the team was in your "win now" mode.

"win now" is bogus. We were in "win now" mode with marino, then after, and currently. We went from great offense to great defense, and now we're shiffting back. Only this time we have our franchise RB yet no franchise QB. I'm not saying we need another dan, but we need a consistent QB. "win now" will be the motto 4 years from now. Not something we need now, or then. We need to seriously look 4 years down the road. It will be all O then, and with that, we need a young QB.

Our team has been built around the defense since Marino retired, and a little before then.

We need to look to the FUTURE. In 2-3 years our Defensive play will drop CONSIDERABLY. THomas is already slowing down, JT will slow down in a year our two, our secondary is near ancient, T-bo is old, and Seau..well, you get the picture.

Our Offense is where we need to build this team around. We now have James, McKinney, and Smith, 3 proven young linemen. At QB, we currently have a wild card young buck that we have absolutely no idea about.

We also have 2 top tier WR"s, a great TE, and a great RB all young. Where are we going to turn to in 2 years when our defense is falling apart around us? We're going to have to look to our offense to carry this team, and rightfuly so. It's stacked with young talent.

Point being, in 2 years this team will be built around the offense, no if's and's or butt's about it. In 2 years our draft picks will shift from offense to defence. And we're going ot need a solid QB to guide that offense. You can say what you want, but QB is still the most imporant position on a team. Some teams get by without it, but with our current talented offense, we havent' done jack without a QB. That's a fact, the QB is needed to run this team.

We're working on a limited time frame....not to make the superbowl, but to get a QB capable of leading this offense for the next 10 years. If we wait for 2 years to draft a Qb to groom, we'll have to wait another 2 years for him to be ready. The time is now, the time WAS about 6 years ago before dan retired, but the team was in your "win now" mode.

"win now" is bogus. We were in "win now" mode with marino, then after, and currently. We went from great offense to great defense, and now we're shiffting back. Only this time we have our franchise RB yet no franchise QB. I'm not saying we need another dan, but we need a consistent QB. "win now" will be the motto 4 years from now. Not something we need now, or then. We need to seriously look 4 years down the road. It will be all O then, and with that, we need a young QB.

Hey I'm not arguing the point. I actually agree with you.
This franchise is way overdue in looking to find a franchise QB for the future. They have fumbled the ball on this one for years now.
However, the situation we are in now is not one in which the FO will make another move to improve the QB spot IMO.
They've already bet on AJ Feeley.
Our only hope is that the OL can be improved enough to support a mediocre QB if AJ Feeley turns out not to be as good as the Fins think he can be or God forbid if Jay Fiedler ends up starting again next year!

Originally posted by Maybe Memories
Thats not too informative, u could have sed how many games they started last season....

I could look it all up, or I could tell you that the QB position has a total of 0 starts last season, while the OL would have more than that. Get the picture? I put their career total, so Feeley would have SOME starts in his column. Which would you prefer?

Delhomme had no starts what's your point.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Hey I'm not arguing the point. I actually agree with you.
This franchise is way overdue in looking to find a franchise QB for the future. They have fumbled the ball on this one for years now.
However, the situation we are in now is not one in which the FO will make another move to improve the QB spot IMO.
They've already bet on AJ Feeley.
Our only hope is that the OL can be improved enough to support a mediocre QB if AJ Feeley turns out not to be as good as the Fins think he can be or God forbid if Jay Fiedler ends up starting again next year!

I apologize, i meant to quote Phinsigator, my argument wasn't with you.

This thread was aimed at the people who think we're set at the QB position because AJ has "potential" and showed good decision making in those 5 games. They say that our OL needs the most help, where as I'm trying to show that we have less potential at the QB position than the OL position, and it won't get better by drafting a rookie with no NFL experience. Feeley has the least experience of everyone bar one, whom we're looking to upgrade anyway.

Well, it's a good thing the season does not start next week. :tongue:

But your forgeting one player, whom I thought was ahead of Taylor Whitley last year, and that's Billy Yates. I know he filled in last year at LG, but during training camp they had him play both RG and LG, and I thought he showed more promice.

Back
Top Bottom