Attack the draft not FA. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Attack the draft not FA.

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
Last year I had a massive issue with Ireland picking a 'luxury' pick in Dion Jordan, especially when he had to trade up in a draft known to have strength in depth.

I want a GM who looks at the roster, identifies the holes, looks at the strength in 1st round of draft and then handles FA accordingly.

For example. Before going into last years draft, before FA we required a WR, TE, OT & CB.

Tyler Eifert was the only TE with 1st round quality.

It was nailed on that 3/4 of the 1st round OT (Joekel, Fisher, Johnson, Fluker) would be gone by 12.

After Dee Milliner only Xavier Rhodes expected to be available at CB.

Why then not sign B.Gibson. I know he impressed, but when you consider that Cordarrelle Patterson & DeAndre Hopkins were a very high possibility of being available at 12, why did we not go in that direction?

If we were deadset on getting rid of Dansby & Burnett, why did we not go for one of Arthur Brown, Manti Teo, Alec Ogletree or Kevin Minter, instead of throwing money at Ellerbe & Wheeler?

This year before FA, we have an obvious need which luckily enough, ties in with the obvious strength of 1st round, OT. Lets tailor our FA so that we go into draft still wanting this need.

In FA, sign a LT & Guard, resign one of the DT, tie up Brent Grimes & Chris Clemons and lets not over complicate things. I know it sounds obvious but looking back at last year I thought the same then.

Def think it's makes more sense to address OL thru FA. I'm not sure I can stomach another Martin/ Dallas Thomas

I want our new GM to be aggressive in getting players in the draft they think are studs. Our last GM was always more infatuated with getting "value" on all our picks. We winded up missing on a lot of talent with that strategy.

I want our new GM to be aggressive in getting players in the draft they think are studs. Our last GM was always more infatuated with getting "value" on all our picks. We winded up missing on a lot of talent with that strategy.

Yep, that was always my gripe with Ireland's drafts, not sure if that is something he is naturally inclined to do, or something that he learned from Parcells but I'm glad to have that philosophy GONE

Sometimes waiting until the second tier of FA is the best option. Better values. Not much in the way of long deals. Not many here would have an issue with the Brent Grimes' signing. Better values.

However, I am going hard after a LT in FA…early hours.

Our OL is so depleted that we need at least 1 or 2 solid guys in FA. If it is true that Joe doesn't like to play rookies, we can't use the draft for OL. We need experience and leadership at those positions. As far as other positions of need (LB, RB, TE), build through the draft. Hopefully our new GM can fix this team!

This team's OL must be addressed through both the draft and FA. It's real bad.

We have to be very aggressive in FA and it will probably mean we have to overspend on a couple of guys. Oh, well. Jeff Ireland left us in a hole and unless you want to see your QB get pummeled again in 2014 there's not much else to be done.

The fact that we need TWO tackles and at least one new interior lineman (preferably two) is basically the reason Jeff Ireland should never be a general manager in the NFL again.

Yes, I want to build through the draft also. I heard a lot of "lip service" last year on this sight about building through the draft, and then we went and did the complete opposite. I want a real build through the draft...

There are 5 OT projected to go in 1st round. Draft one for RT, sign one if VELDHEER or COLLINS for LT and Wade Smith for Gaurd, especially if Kubiak comes over.

We needed to draft players that would help us right away. We got almost zero. For that reason alone Ireland failed badly and I'm thrilled to see this guy out of a job with the Dolphins. The other thing that bothered me about the draft was in the key early picks he went almost exclusively defense. I wanted Eifert, Austin, Hopkins etc. He brought in not one player to help with the side of the ball that needed the most help. Our defense was fine. His tinkering made it worse. What a jack***!!!! All those great picks totally mismanaged. Did I mention that he's a jack***. A monkey could have done better!!I hope we get a GM with a vision and an ability to work with the HC to bring in difference makers to our roster.

We need another "value pick" like Ted Ginn Jr and his entire family.

We need both draft and FA badly. We need a veteran and a young stud.

How has Eugene Monroe done this year? Collins? This offseason will be big. We really need to get rid if Wheeler sooner rather than later even if there is an immediate hit. He's not worth paying that much to be a backup, what he should be

Back
Top Bottom