Attack the draft not FA. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Attack the draft not FA.

Certain players should be traded away for draft picks as well. Hopefully the scouts done their job and can find LEADERS, not just guys that make plays. O line can be found in free agency. First round, RT or RG, second round LB or NT, third round FB. Maybe even a nose tackle first round.

It's obvious that Miami's biggest need is on the offensive line. The team likely needs to find at least three, maybe four new starters. I don't think the team will be too successful in 2014 if all of those "upgrades" are through the draft. The Dolphins need to get one really good starting offensive lineman in free agency and maybe a serviceable player at guard.

If that happens, then the new GM can be in the position to take the best player available in the draft which is what should be happening. I look at a player like Earl Thomas, who I wanted badly in Miami. The Dolphins traded down and ended up with Jared Odrich (solid player) and Koa Misi (2-down linebacker). Thomas is a pro bowl talent. That's where I think Ireland could have done better in his ability to find the elite talent.

As to Dion Jordan, I still think he emerges as a force although I certainly think he's a better fit in a 3-4 defense. I think he even indicated after the draft that a 3-4 was his preference.

I loved the Dion Jordan pick, and still do.

As far as the o-line, I'd like to concentrate on getting two quality tackles in free agency. For example, Branden Albert at left tackle and Austin Howard at right tackle. Lock the tackle positions up for the next few years. For the guard positions, I think we draft a starter in the 2nd or 3rd round, and sign a quality guy in free agency when prices go down after the draft. I DO NOT want to go into the draft needing a tackle in the first round.

Why does it ever have to be one or the other? It always makes the most sense to use FA to fill holes and allow the draft to select BPA, that way we don't draft players for need and let BPA get drafted by NE/GB/etc...

hoping for at least a LT in free agency. If not a lt and rt... collins and saffold come to mind.

bpa in round one. hopefully a ILB, TE, or a big red zone target.

than pick up a few guards to compete for the guard spots, and I'll be happy with that start.

ireland NEVER drafted a guy who was a "plug-and-play" solution to fill a hole. EVER.

He always drafted guys to be good 4 years down the road, when their second contract was already settled, so that he would not have to make that contract a open-the-vault monster. He acted just like a small-market baseball franchise... don't let them get too good, too early, or else you can't afford them and have to let them go elsewhere. It happened to us before (Welker, Ogunleye) and the new GM must NEVER have that mentality. If a guy is good, get him playing FOR you instead of against you. And KEEP HIM THERE.

ireland NEVER drafted a guy who was a "plug-and-play" solution to fill a hole. EVER.

He always drafted guys to be good 4 years down the road, when their second contract was already settled, so that he would not have to make that contract a open-the-vault monster. He acted just like a small-market baseball franchise... don't let them get too good, too early, or else you can't afford them and have to let them go elsewhere. It happened to us before (Welker, Ogunleye) and the new GM must NEVER have that mentality. If a guy is good, get him playing FOR you instead of against you. And KEEP HIM THERE.

Hmmm, Tannehill was alright.

Every year people seem to think you can only do one or the other. If there is a solid FA out there, you get him. Besides, one thing this team is desperately in need of is experienced leadership. When Incognito is a "leader" on your team, you are doing it wrong.

Great teams are built thru the draft. This is why we aren't a great team.

This team's OL must be addressed through both the draft and FA. It's real bad.

We have to be very aggressive in FA and it will probably mean we have to overspend on a couple of guys. Oh, well. Jeff Ireland left us in a hole and unless you want to see your QB get pummeled again in 2014 there's not much else to be done.

The fact that we need TWO tackles and at least one new interior lineman (preferably two) is basically the reason Jeff Ireland should never be a general manager in the NFL again.

Over and over i keep saying this.We have to repair this oline before we do anything else.Because if we don't we will surely regret it..

We're picking at 19, so you're looking at production in 2015 if not later. We need 10-6 next season, which means we need to plug our holes now. That's why we need FA to be the key. We can't afford any swings and misses there.

Over and over i keep saying this.We have to repair this oline before we do anything else.Because if we don't we will surely regret it..

Good point. It is impossible to address any other deficiency. You are only allowed to address one unit in a given offseason per NFL rules.

Agree and disagree.

Draft is a no brainer. This is where the greats have been formed. Seattle and SF- need look no further. MUST make certain the first pick in the draft is an immediate contributor in the running ( dont matter if last) for rookie of the year. MUST.

I say break bank on the oline. B-R-E-A-K BANK. This is a playoff team. Do not *****foot around. There are young studs out this year. Break their current team loyalty with the check book ( if possible of course it takes two to tango but freagin make it rain like a patron in an Atlanta strip club after hours party).

Great teams are built thru the draft. This is why we aren't a great team.

it can also be argued that Not in the shape we are in , we have to many players that are in need to win NOW and if we build everything through the draft it will take us 7 -10 years to just build through the draft , and thats us hitting almost on every draft pick , we all know that after the 4th sometimes 5th round , Teams are all in a pick and hit , so really all we have is say 3 picks a year to pick through the draft and be successful , just think if we go after all the Offence line through the draft , we need atleast 3 , if not 4 Offence linemen , right there would take care of our draft picks , and 1-4 would have to be a NOT Miss and not only that the players that we need at that possion has got to be ava, then next year after that we need LB and TE , RB same gose for the next year 1-4 would have to be a cant miss draft , and not only that , again , the players for the need possion of just mentioned would have to be ava , IMHO its very very hard to just build through the draft , dont get me wrong , the draft helps a whole lot , But if we didnt use F.A. to help out and to help fill our needs , WE WOULD BE IN TROUBLE , There are possions in the draft the can help us in diffrent possions , like RB , TE , DE , LB , and sometimes CB in the first couple Rds , but when it comes to Raw Power there isnt many Rookie starting Offence Line that can stand up to the likes of a Justin Smith , or a Vince Wilfork , our OL starters need to come by FA ,if not than the next year we will be grabbing a QB because we will get ours killed by putting Rookie OL up against BIG Strong Defence Linemen , so imo it is good to build some players through the draft but we also have to use FA. To help in other possions ........

We're picking at 19, so you're looking at production in 2015 if not later. We need 10-6 next season, which means we need to plug our holes now. That's why we need FA to be the key. We can't afford any swings and misses there.

Not buying that at all. 2012 19th n beyond

19 Bears Shea McClellin DE
20 Titans Kendall Wright WR
21 Patriots Chandler Jones DE
22 Browns Brandon Weeden QB
23 Lions Riley Reiff OT
24 Steelers David DeCastro G
25 Patriots Dont'a Hightower ILB
26 Texans Whitney Mercilus DE
27 Bengals Kevin Zeitler G
28 Packers Nick Perry DE
29 Vikings Harrison Smith FS