Attack the draft not FA. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Attack the draft not FA.

My point was in OP to attack the draft by putting ourselves in a position so that our obvious need, ties in with the strength of the draft.

At 12 last year the strength was DT, but we already had Starks & Soliai. Next was DE, but from previous year was Wake, Odrick if needed, Shelby and Vernon. Next IMO was LB or WR. We already had Dansby & Burnett. We were looking to play 3 WR with a larger slot WR. Expected to be available at 12 were both Patterson & Hopkins. Why not then tailor FA so you go into draft wanting one of these?

I just don't get it. Sign up the players that perform for you, then look at draft, identify the strength and tailor FA accordingly.

I loved the Dion Jordan pick, and still do.

As far as the o-line, I'd like to concentrate on getting two quality tackles in free agency. For example, Branden Albert at left tackle and Austin Howard at right tackle. Lock the tackle positions up for the next few years. For the guard positions, I think we draft a starter in the 2nd or 3rd round, and sign a quality guy in free agency when prices go down after the draft. I DO NOT want to go into the draft needing a tackle in the first round.

I think this nails it.

Its tough enough for a rookie to start in this league at LT unless they are touted as a possible all time great. I think that we should sign a LT in FA, and draft a RT that can play left if needed. Same with the guard position. Draft one, sign one. With Pouncey at centre he is the only real player that can be counted on with the O line. Thats a sad fact after signing, drafting and looking at acorns from Ireland.
I also think we really need a ILB. And a running back. I thought our RB's may be ok, but I have my doubts. The O line can take half the blame for there poor play, but the RB's were below average.

Whoever we get as a GM, I hope, really hope that they have better drafting ability and FA signing ability than what Ireland had.

What I can't understand is that Philbin has been here two years now. His scheme demands linesmen that can pull, are athletic, can get to the second level etc. Where are they ? Two drafts. Two periods of FA and yet we still have one linesman in Pouncey that fits Philbin's ethos. How does that happen ? We drafted a potential long term stud but who for now, is a 3-4 OLB, yet we play a predominant 4-3 defense ? Why does that happen ? We need some cohesion in our drafting and our logic.

Go get the linesmen that fit the scheme. I'd take a OT in the 1st. We really want a stud LT protecting our QB for the long term. Then I'm looking for an athletic interior linesman. Then I want a power RB. I believe in building through the draft. Too much expenditure on FA doesn't work in the long run IMO. Our biggest need is the OL. Fix it with young studs that fit our ethos. Put us in a position so next year we can look at stud, big time playmakers in the draft.

i agree w u on most thing but if we made play off everything would been good but since we didn't win last to game I am not saying Ireland was best gm but he was not worst. we had player to make playoff this yr. they should of fire all coach because they made gm look bad. our new gm should have his coach he want. our ol was better when sparano was their why change power running game just add more passing plays

ireland NEVER drafted a guy who was a "plug-and-play" solution to fill a hole. EVER.

He always drafted guys to be good 4 years down the road, when their second contract was already settled, so that he would not have to make that contract a open-the-vault monster. He acted just like a small-market baseball franchise... don't let them get too good, too early, or else you can't afford them and have to let them go elsewhere. It happened to us before (Welker, Ogunleye) and the new GM must NEVER have that mentality. If a guy is good, get him playing FOR you instead of against you. And KEEP HIM THERE.

but that doesnt jive with his bitching about coaches not playing his rookies.

What I can't understand is that Philbin has been here two years now. His scheme demands linesmen that can pull, are athletic, can get to the second level etc. Where are they ? Two drafts. Two periods of FA and yet we still have one linesman in Pouncey that fits Philbin's ethos. How does that happen ? We drafted a potential long term stud but who for now, is a 3-4 OLB, yet we play a predominant 4-3 defense ? Why does that happen ? We need some cohesion in our drafting and our logic.

Go get the linesmen that fit the scheme. I'd take a OT in the 1st. We really want a stud LT protecting our QB for the long term. Then I'm looking for an athletic interior linesman. Then I want a power RB. I believe in building through the draft. Too much expenditure on FA doesn't work in the long run IMO. Our biggest need is the OL. Fix it with young studs that fit our ethos. Put us in a position so next year we can look at stud, big time playmakers in the draft.

i think that may be why some draft mocks have us taking Zach Martin. yes another martin. only this guy is from notre dame and he is a pounder with technician skills for what you say. and can play tackle. Him and Linder would be nice because he too has the size and ability to play T. Alot of G's in this draft in 1st two rounds can play T.

I would look to get 3-4 OL in this draft even if we were to get a good Ol in FA. Get it done for good. Stop messin around with this crap. Everyone wants to bitch about OL after the fact when they are looking everywhere else at every other position.

I would get some guys in FA for defense. Defense is easier to pick up. Your OL you want to start from scratch and produce them into your system from get go. If Lazor is successful, and I beleive he can be, then your OL quickly becomes a strength for a long time to come.

This cant be a FA fix for big money. It sets you up to look bad. This draft is chock full of studs. And I would focus on G as much as T. Early and often.

So drafting for a pass rush in the AFC East is a 'luxury pick'. Ok, gotcha. This is almost as dumb as the you don't need a good offensive line to win in the NFL theory.

This website was down on Clay after his rookie season. According to most here, he was a typical Ireland wasted pick. He then through circumstance, shows the value he can bring to a team.

With a offseason of change, I expect Jordan to be a more complete player next year. How you people can get down on such a talent, is beyond me. But it goes to show the absolute loony bin that is the MIAMI fan base.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

My point was in OP to attack the draft by putting ourselves in a position so that our obvious need, ties in with the strength of the draft.

At 12 last year the strength was DT, but we already had Starks & Soliai. Next was DE, but from previous year was Wake, Odrick if needed, Shelby and Vernon. Next IMO was LB or WR. We already had Dansby & Burnett. We were looking to play 3 WR with a larger slot WR. Expected to be available at 12 were both Patterson & Hopkins. Why not then tailor FA so you go into draft wanting one of these?

I just don't get it. Sign up the players that perform for you, then look at draft, identify the strength and tailor FA accordingly.

So you expected those player to put up the decent numbers they put up this year? Hmmm.

I totally disagree with the opening statement. The way the NFL is set up, you must plug immediate holes through free agency, just because the draft is not until May. If you wait till the draft to plug a hole, you can end up reaching for a pick that is not worth it. If you wait and don't get that hole filled in the draft, you may not have much left to pick from when it comes to FA, and we are left with bottom of the barrell scraps again. You must have the flexibility in the draft to pick the BPA, whether to play them now or in the future.

So drafting for a pass rush in the AFC East is a 'luxury pick'. Ok, gotcha. This is almost as dumb as the you don't need a good offensive line to win in the NFL theory.

This website was down on Clay after his rookie season. According to most here, he was a typical Ireland wasted pick. He then through circumstance, shows the value he can bring to a team.

With a offseason of change, I expect Jordan to be a more complete player next year. How you people can get down on such a talent, is beyond me. But it goes to show the absolute loony bin that is the MIAMI fan base.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

So you expected those player to put up the decent numbers they put up this year? Hmmm.

you are making just as many assumptions as the naysayers by assuming that Jordan will reach his potential.

It will be IMPOSSIBLE to find 4 starters for the Oline in the draft, considering we also need a RB, and TE to go along with Clay. We have to bring in at least 2 Olinemen in FA and draft a couple. I dont know what the FO thinks about Dallas Thomas, and if we bring back any of our own current FAs, but we need a stud LT (Albert/Monroe/Collins) and hopefully a G. RB is another position we should address in the draft and maybe a good FS if we cant resign Clemmons.

you are making just as many assumptions as the naysayers by assuming that Jordan will reach his potential.

This is nonsense. When you draft a player and invest so much into said player, you allow for the development of said player. Its only common sense. Trading away a player who has the upside he has, is silly. I'm not assuming anything, I'm saying allow the process to continue. You don't cut the cord on such a talent after 1 season. Unless you are the Browns and want to remain a laughing stock in the league. There is a reason NO ONE wants that job in CLE. That FO is about as schizo as this fanbase.

This is nonsense. When you draft a player and invest so much into said player, you allow for the development of said player. Its only common sense. Trading away a player who has the upside he has, is silly. I'm not assuming anything, I'm saying allow the process to continue. You don't cut the cord on such a talent after 1 season. Unless you are the Browns and want to remain a laughing stock in the league. There is a reason NO ONE wants that job in CLE. That FO is about as schizo as this fanbase.

Not if the person picking the player was a moron who seems to have had the same chance of picking a good player as you or I would. Most of the "experts" I saw said it was a huge reach to take Jordan that early, he may eventually turn into a good or even a great player but at that pick to have to trade up ugh! I agree however that now we are stuck with him and unless we can make a great trade we will have to see how he develops.

Not buying that at all. 2012 19th n beyond

19 Bears Shea McClellin DE
20 Titans Kendall Wright WR
21 Patriots Chandler Jones DE
22 Browns Brandon Weeden QB
23 Lions Riley Reiff OT
24 Steelers David DeCastro G
25 Patriots Dont'a Hightower ILB
26 Texans Whitney Mercilus DE
27 Bengals Kevin Zeitler G
28 Packers Nick Perry DE
29 Vikings Harrison Smith FS
30 49ers A.J. Jenkins WR
31 Bucs Doug Martin RB
32 Giants David Wilson RB

2013 19th n beyond:

19 Giants Justin Pugh OT
20 Bears Kyle Long OG
21 Bengals Tyler Eifert TE
22 Falcons Desmond Trufant CB
23 Vikings Sharrif Floyd DT
24 Colts Bjoern Werner DE
25 Vikings Xavier Rhodes CB
26 Packers Datone Jones DE
27 Texans DeAndre Hopkins WR
28 Broncos Sylvester Williams DT
29 Vikings Cordarrelle Patterson WR
30 Rams Alec Ogletree ILB
31 Cowboys Travis Frederick C
32 Ravens Matt Elam FS

Thats just last 2 yrs. Ya, no immediate contributors there. smh

The sad thing is... I would take ANY guy on that list (except weeden) before dion jordan.

Back
Top Bottom