attendance at games | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

attendance at games

I go to Miami once a year almost every year for a game. I normally get a hotel room in Miami Beach, and when I wake up on Sunday Morning, I'll take a morning swim, sit on the beach for a while, and then get pissed that I have to stop chillin and drive up to crappy Miami Gardens for a football game in the oppressive heat with no breeze and no water. I love the Dolphins, but there are better things to do in that town than fry at a Phins game. A lot of people say they would buy season tickets if they lived there and go to every game, but I don't know if I even would, even though I've said it before. Watching the game on TV is sometimes better, especially if the stadium isn't packed and the team sucks.

I live about 40 min away from cleveland and they are way worse than us and every game the crowd is screaming there ****ing brains off almost a full stadium. I am a die hard phin fan and will be at the cleveland and Indy game so I c where the op is going no offense to people who live in Florida and say they suck but if I was down there id be at atleast four games a year if I couldn't afford season tickets.

Going to Cleveland games also.

Enough of these stupid threads. If the team wins, people will show up. End of ****ing story, end of ****ing thread. Everything else is just semantics.

Consider me full on board with moving the team into Ft Lauderdale or Palm. Fans don't want to support the team where it's located and Ross wants upgrades or a new stadium.

I've been a dolphins fan all my life. I live in Ohio, so it's hard for me to go to games in Florida. However, every time my fins come to Ohio or Indiana, I am at the games! But for those of you who claim to be "hardcore Dolphins fans," GO TO THE DAMN games!!! It's awful to think that you guys always get crazy when we're awful, and say, "same old story, bad team, waste of a season." But how can you blame the players when you as fans aren't doing your part?

go to the games..."fans"

Why is it hard to go to Miami from where you are? The flight isn't terribly long and you have 5 months after the schedule is out to save money for the trip. Unless you're 17 there really isn't an excuse.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

I just love how people act like its no thing to just attend a game. Ya gotta get tickets, ya gotta pay parking, you buy food and beer to tailgate and then there's gas. I live 2 hours away and I'll get to games when I can but I work outside 6 days a week. I'd rather stay in a lot of the times in the a/c and drink out of my 12 pack that costed me as much and 1 beer would in the stadium. And I'll have my wife whip something up for the game. Like I said I go when I can but if your so concerned about attendance fork up some money and buy a plane ticket every week and seasons tickets and fly your ass down here

You don't need to buy food or beer at the stadium. Eat beforehand and try and go a few hours without a beer. I'm sure you'd survive.

Its. the. last. preseason. game.
Who gives a **** about who shows up?

I'd say the dead horse's ghost has been beaten to death on this topic, but so as not to just be a troll...

I live about 5 1/2 hours north of the stadium, but make it a point to attend one home game a year, and this year I'll get the added bonus of also attending the game in Tampa because it's closer, but honestly they do this to themselves.

1.) If the team produces a winning product you'll be shocked how fast the stadium fills (I was at the '08 playoff game and was astonished at the turnout and enthusiasm, unlike anything I've ever seen at a home game in the last decade)
2.) Until they are a great team, the prices need to go WAY down. This is an NFL-wide problem. Preseason is a great example of this...they are meaningless games, yet the tickets are still too much and in most cases are not shown on TV. That's total BS. If the NFL wants to win fans they should be using this as the gateway drug to do it. Make it affordable fun for the family and make sure everyone can watch on TV, so they can get invested and care about this team.

Anyway, the attendance numbers really don't worry me, because as I said, despite whatever extenuating circumstances there may be, the day this team starts winning on a consistence basis, is the same day those seats fill. Unless they are a hardcore fan like most of us here, people who make $10 an hour or less don't want to invest $90 a ticket plus parking, so they can watch their team lose.

There were tickets for under $20 a person for the preseason game. Hell I've seen them for under $10-15. You call that expensive?

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I go to Miami once a year almost every year for a game. I normally get a hotel room in Miami Beach, and when I wake up on Sunday Morning, I'll take a morning swim, sit on the beach for a while, and then get pissed that I have to stop chillin and drive up to crappy Miami Gardens for a football game in the oppressive heat with no breeze and no water. I love the Dolphins, but there are better things to do in that town than fry at a Phins game. A lot of people say they would buy season tickets if they lived there and go to every game, but I don't know if I even would, even though I've said it before. Watching the game on TV is sometimes better, especially if the stadium isn't packed and the team sucks.

Do you live in the D.C. area?

Until Ross quits buying up empty seats and the NFL goes back to the 72 hour rule, the stadium will never be full. I mean really full.

I have been a dolphin fan my whole adult life and I can tell you if we were to have a home playoff game, chances are very good, it does not sell out. In fact it has happened before. The best indicator of the future is the past. The fans in Miami suck.

The only way IMO to fill the place is to start enforcing the black out rule. Black out every single game if its not a real sellout.
Start this new tradition at the very first home game this season. Black it out, as it will not be a sellout.

I know plenty people down there that do not go, only because they rather watch from their big screens by the pool with ****tails. And they have plenty money. So that is no issue for them.
The only way you get these ****ers to go is to not show it on TV!

Im a fan....but I am also a college student who struggles to stir up enough money to feed myself for the week. As much as I would love to go to games, its $40+ for nosebleed seats (which aren't bad seats)...but it also feels like 1,000 degrees up there..then it's about $15 for parking, $15 for food, gas and so on.

If these prices are true, I would have season tickets. When the Dolphins come to town to play the Redskins, nosebleed seats are about $100 each and parking is about $40. Hell, I wanted to get tickets for my girlfriend's birthday (she's a Skins fan) and everything was $300. Not faulting you for not affording it as a college student....just saying I wish I lived in Miami.

Whew! Almost went an entire month before a "blame the fans/****ty fanbase" thread. I was getting worried you guys had finally figured out how the entertainment business works and decided to quit whining.

I do agree attendance needs to be better, but I do not like other fans forcing me to read a thread about it and then having me waste my time posting my displeasure about it.

I don't think the problem is unique to Miami. It happens in every market where there is a losing culture. Now lets get economic and separate winning teams for a second, games are EXPENSIVE. For the average Joe to fork over several hundreds of dollars on tickets if he wants to take his family, add to that the outrageous concession stand prices you can understand why people don't flock to games. For example, living here in Toronto I gor FREE tickets to see the Blue Jays play the Yankees back in June. My wife said we should grab a sausage from the vendor outside the park for a mere $3 each. I balked wanting to give my son the "experience". Won't make that move again. 3 crappy hot dogs, 2 beers, and a pop dung me $65. Then add peanuts at $11 a bag, and $13 beers during the game. My free game cost me more than $200 after buying my son a ball-cap.

Sometimes it's not about being a fan. It's about how much it costs, and not being able to when you want. Life happens. $%^& happens.

Teams want fans in the stands. The live experience is becoming more elitist in some ways. Not saying it's everyone's reason. But let's not put all people under the same blanket.

Create a product that people are willing to put their hard earned money to see, and they'll consider it.

Losing = empty seats. High costs = empty seats. Eliminate one, you'll have people willing to accept the other.

I do agree attendance needs to be better, but I do not like other fans forcing me to read a thread about it and then having me waste my time posting my displeasure about it.

who the hell "forced" you to read this???? who "had" you waste your time posting your displeasure about it???

1. Miami is the transplant city of the US. While it seems like everybody and they mama wants to move here . . . long time locals and fans are trying their best to move away.

2. The new generation of fans just don't know what its like to see a winning product on the field. This is as bandwagon of a town as it gets in sports. Your talking about a city that filled SunLife stadium during a Marlins game (70,000 +) during playoff runs and can barely get a 1000 folks in a new stadium some nights with the poor records we have seen from this team. In 2008, you saw the Dolphin fan emerge . . . both at that home game against New England and that playoff game against the Ravens.

3. While some people think the location is poor at SunLife stadium, I actually think it helps with attendance. Very accessible to people outside of Miami . . . where lets face it, a lot of fans come from who go to the games. The Turnpike literally walks you into the stadium. These people wear their jerseys, have the license plates, all the big fan stuff . . . so why does it make them less of a fan if they can't make it to the stadium? Different times.

4. HD/Fantasy era - People just find it more comfortable sitting home with their 60" 1080p monster and surround sound in the cold A/C, with cold beers at less than a $1 a bottle at their disposal and dirt cheap burgers and hotdogs that you can throw on your grill. They can monitor their fantasy stats easy and turn to programs like Redzone to catch up on other action. All this luxury at a price that is probably 1/20th of what you would pay if you took the family to the game.

5. Stop comparing the Fins to other teams with losing records over long periods of time . . . we aren't them and the city of Miami is different from those places. Deal With it

6. I'm a 20 minute drive north of SunLife stadium. My biggest issue for not going to more than a game or 2 is getting people that I'm close with to go with me. They all have money issues and we certainly have a great time picking a buddy's house, BBQing and watching the game and then watching the 4:15 game right after. We all find it best to pick a game or 2 each year and watch the rest at home. Why should I be judged as not being a "loyal" fan because of it?

I just think this topic has been beaten to death and people need to stop watching another fans pockets to tell them to go to the game and hope Ross & Ireland can put a playoff team out there this year . . . . because a competitive team in Miami always sells out.

Back
Top Bottom